Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tricky situation, not really sure what to do here *update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
So I agree to sell some cards to a member here for $120. I'll leave his username out of this since he hasn't really done anything wrong.

We're like 8-9 business days from the sale date and he still hasn't received the cards. I did not send with Delivery Confirmation as it is not offered where I send from (tiny little school mail center). But on the other hand, he agreed to send Paypal gift, which gives him no recourse on here or with Paypal (I think?).

For a while he accused me of trying to scam him, but I think he understands now that I'm not. I don't think he's trying to rip me off, either, as his feedback is perfect here like mine.

So who takes the hit here now that the postal service screwed up? It would be a much larger hit for me (largest sale this year) than for him, but I know that shouldn't really factor in to this.

If the consensus is that I'm at fault here, I'll take the hit because I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to do them wrong. Any input would be appreciated.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Re: Tricky situation, not really sure what to do here

Sorry for you situation but IMO since you shipped it you should have had tracking, that was out of the buyers hands.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico

I sell and buy quite a bit here and else where. I've always been under the assumption the SELLER is responsible if cards don't arrive. I'm not going to lecture about how to send cards but I will say that when I sell something, gift payment or not, I send insured if it's over a certain amount. That amount would probably vary from person to person. Personally I insure anything that I wouldn't want to lose. Meaning, if it's a 15 dollar card..I'd prefer if it would get there but I wouldn't be crushed if I had to refund and didn't get crap back. My personal limit is usually anything over 80 bucks +/- depending on the situation/person I'm dealing with. Anyways, hopefully it's just a mix-up and the cards show up. Good luck!

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA

LLWesMan said:
Use PayPal shipping with delivery confirmation. Doesn't matter where you send it from if you use that.

Unfortunately I just found out about that after I sent them, philipmason told me about it a couple days ago.

nyc3, thanks for the input.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

bigpapiMA32 said:
LLWesMan said:
Use PayPal shipping with delivery confirmation. Doesn't matter where you send it from if you use that.

Unfortunately I just found out about that after I sent them, philipmason told me about it a couple days ago.

Sorry man, here is a link so you dont need to use ebay or anything you can just load it up and start a label for future reference. Tracking is cheaper than going to the P.O.

Paypal.com/shipnow

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

LLWesMan said:

This. Easiest way to avoid this problem. Unfortunately, you're on the hook here.

With that being said, I'd give it another week or so and if nothing shows up by then, refund his payment. Hopefully he has enough integrity to return your cards or payment when and if the cards show up.

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009

8-9 business days is too long for it to show up but i would give it a little while longer....there is no telling what happened....I would wait a solid 3 weeks before I refund any money....

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA

JEA2880 said:
LLWesMan said:

This. Easiest way to avoid this problem. Unfortunately, you're on the hook here.

With that being said, I'd give it another week or so and if nothing shows up by then, refund his payment. Hopefully he has enough integrity to return your cards or payment when and if the cards show up.

I agree with this. You've always been honest and easy to deal with Kevin but you are on the hook here.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

I think in this instance you are going to have to take the hit on this just out of principle. Its really doesnt matter how the other person paid as it is up to you to make sure you purchase the proper tracking. Man even if you had to wait a day or two (Letting the other person know) just to make it to the post office and buy confirmation would have been worth it. One thing I have learned on these boards is always use some sort of tracking, Always! Good luck and sorry this has happened.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll refund the buyer this weekend if the cards don't show up.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

I have had Priority Mail shipments take over 3 weeks before, so it does happen.

Unfortunately, as the seller (and therefore shipper) you made a decision to "hire" the USPS to deliver your package. If the USPS loses your package and you purchased delivery confirmation (or signature confirmation), you are entitled to zero compensation in the event of a lost package. You can only receive compensation for your loss if you purchase insurance.

The buyer has done nothing wrong. You shipped the package without insurance, and left yourself vulnerable. Never ship ANYTHING without insurance, unless you are willing to eat your losses. In this case, it is a $120 lesson. Be glad that it isn't any bigger, as I (and many others here) have paid far more to learn lessons from shipping to buyers.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008

I would wait until at least Monday before issuing a refund

bigpapiMA32 said:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll refund the buyer this weekend if the cards don't show up.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD

nyc3 said:
bigpapiMA32 said:
LLWesMan said:

Sorry man, here is a link so you dont need to use ebay or anything you can just load it up and start a label for future reference. Tracking is cheaper than going to the P.O.

Paypal.com/shipnow

Never used this, but am checking it out now.
So do you have to weigh every bubble mailer or do you guys have a set weight per number of cards?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Russ S. said:
[

So do you have to weigh every bubble mailer or do you guys have a set weight per number of cards?

I weigh anything unsure of everything else is pretty much the same (slabs, top loader etc).

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago

From where to where was it shipped? I mean, I sent a card out two and a half weeks ago first class international to Canada and the package hasn't shown up yet.

Was it domestic? If so, that's seems long but you never know. I sent a card out that took the post office about three weeks to deliver after Christmas. The guy had the nerve to open a case against me two weeks in for a $5.50 card. I refunded him the money, he got the card a week later and never messaged me about it.... so I got screwed by the post office three ways to Sunday.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008

Russ S. said:
nyc3 said:
bigpapiMA32 said:
LLWesMan said:

Paypal.com/shipnow

Go to your local target or walmart, go the the home goods section, pick up one of those little kitchen scales for $20 and never look back. I bought mine 3+ yrs ago, have shipped hundreds of items, best investment I made.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago

Always use tracking. I sent out $20 worth of cards to a member here in Jan and they never showed up. The post office is clueless on the situation. So I'm sending him out a couple of replacement cards.

He's been cool about it because he knows at least I sent them out his way.

Label/Receipt Number: 0310 0480 0002 3964 0448

Your item was processed through and left our SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188 facility on January 16, 2011 at 12:29 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. No further information is available for this item.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East

Talk about f'ed up. Both of you were wrong. Buyer should never ever gift payment and seller should never ship anything worth that much without DC. I say give it another week. Then refund half the $. You guys should just split it down middle for both f'ing it up.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

matchpenalty said:
Talk about f'ed up. Both of you were wrong. Buyer should never ever gift payment and seller should never ship anything worth that much without DC. I say give it another week. Then refund half the $. You guys should just split it down middle for both f'ing it up.

How did they buyer mess up by sending a gift to a trusted member to save the seller in fees?

Members online