Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sometimes being color blind sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I need some help please. Can anyone confirm if Ryan Doumit #389 has a green tint variation in 2011 Heritage?

I have seen the green refractors listed, and one person has a green tint listing. However I don't know if this is mislabeled and it is really a green refractor, or if every base card has a green tint card? I honestly can't tell the difference between the base card listing and this green tint listing. I was just curious if anyone can confirm this yet?

Also since I put it is the title, the 2007 Masterpieces color variations, still have a couple that I have no idea if it is Blue Steel (ha Zoolander), Hades, Ionized, or Rusted as they are all /50.

The Bowman chrome Gold and Orange refractors, can't tell the difference between those two either even when they are laying right next to each other, but at least the numbering is different.

And before anyone asks (as this is always the first question), no I don't see in black and white. But seriously if anyone know about the Heritage question I would appreciate it.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
IUjapander said:
I need some help please. Can anyone confirm if Ryan Doumit #389 has a green tint variation in 2011 Heritage?

I have seen the green refractors listed, and one person has a green tint listing. However I don't know if this is mislabeled and it is really a green refractor, or if every base card has a green tint card? I honestly can't tell the difference between the base card listing and this green tint listing. I was just curious if anyone can confirm this yet?

Also since I put it is the title, the 2007 Masterpieces color variations, still have a couple that I have no idea if it is Blue Steel (ha Zoolander), Hades, Ionized, or Rusted as they are all /50.

The Bowman chrome Gold and Orange refractors, can't tell the difference between those two either even when they are laying right next to each other, but at least the numbering is different.

And before anyone asks (as this is always the first question), no I don't see in black and white.
But seriously if anyone know about the Heritage question I would appreciate it.

I'm Red/Green Color Blind and I have the same problem with Orange/Gold Refractors. Sometimes I feel like an idiot asking after going through someone's bucket but its the only way I can tell is by the numbering. And obviously most cards are numbered on the back and most people only have front scans.

You have to tell people that you CAN actually see colors as well huh. I get that all the time when someone finds out I'm color blind, it's either "So you see Black & White?" or "What color does this look like? What color is that? etc. So freaking annoying.

And as for your question, I have no clue, just thought I'd share there are others out there as well, you are not alone, haha.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
hofmichael said:
Shoot me a link to the auction and I will tell you if it is legit or not.
Mike

Thanks for the offer to help Mike, but I messaged the seller last night, and when I went to go look for the listing in my ebay right now they had edited the title from Green Tint, to Green Boarder, which is still not right, but closer. But he did send me the card number and it is C97 which is the refractor number, not the base number. So it is not a green tint.

Thanks again though,
Jason

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Joshua.Roundtree said:
I'm Red/Green Color Blind and I have the same problem with Orange/Gold Refractors. Sometimes I feel like an idiot asking after going through someone's bucket but its the only way I can tell is by the numbering. And obviously most cards are numbered on the back and most people only have front scans.

You have to tell people that you CAN actually see colors as well huh. I get that all the time when someone finds out I'm color blind, it's either "So you see Black & White?" or "What color does this look like? What color is that? etc. So freaking annoying.

And as for your question, I have no clue, just thought I'd share there are others out there as well, you are not alone, haha.

I hear you, that is why I just flat out say that right away. Also I get the "what color is this", and just to mess with them I say completely random colors, so they point to a tree and I say that looks red, etc. Really throws people off for a little bit :lol:

I don't remember exactly what my definition is, but when they give those little numbers in the circles test I can usually only get 1 right. When I was young I always had to have the crayons/markers with the color names printed on them, otherwise my blue jays would be purple and my cardinals would be pink!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Greetings my colorblind brethren.

My least favorite set is 2005 Studio Portraits. Of course, my fiance can see colors, and she has a hard time telling those Portraits apart....

Yeah, I'm just like you guys. I can see colors just fine, it's more a problem of identifying them I suppose. My mom has lots of hilarious ( :evil: ) stories about the crazy things I did growing up. Like coloring the indian green, and the grass brown. Or starting the grass in green, then going to the bathroom... when I came back, I grabbed the brown crayon and went right back to work.

The worst is when you are other people's entertainment. Luckily we got a nice new white couch, I can tell what color it is. I usually try to memorize what color things are, and which shirts match which pants, etc... Our old couch really messed with me. I still can't remember what color it was, either green or blue... it had little white stripes which I think helped mess up my perception. I dunno. But without fail, time after time, my girl would ask "What color is the couch?" And I'd answer wrong, and everybody would laugh and get a great kick out of it. Wasn't ever that funny to me. :|

I do try to have fun when getting an eye exam though. They say "what number is this?" and I say something funny like "I see a balloon right here, and the string trailing away right here.... balloon isn't a number though, is it?" I completely flail at the color blind tests. It was pretty hilarious though one Holloween, a coworker sent out an email. It was one of those where the scary monster pops up at the end and screams, and it's supposed to scare you. Before you got there though, you had to pass a simple color blind test. I had to have my coworker help, and wasn't even looking at the screen when the monster popped up. That was one joke that was completely lost on me....

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
IUjapander said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

I hear you, that is why I just flat out say that right away. Also I get the "what color is this", and just to mess with them I say completely random colors, so they point to a tree and I say that looks red, etc. Really throws people off for a little bit :lol:

I don't remember exactly what my definition is, but when they give those little numbers in the circles test I can usually only get 1 right. When I was young I always had to have the crayons/markers with the color names printed on them, otherwise my blue jays would be purple and my cardinals would be pink!

Those tests made me feel really dumb when I was a kid.......

One eye doctor thought I was lying to him because usually the first couple are very easy to see even with color blindness. I'm the same way, I can get the first one, and the rest is like looking at a 'magic-eye' except nothing pops out. Just random dots with no set pattern.

When I was a kid growing up the only 'celebrity' who had CB was Vinny Testaverde QB TB Buccaneers and his was a running joke.......Why did Vinny throw so many INTs last year? Because he can't see which team he is throwing to.

I'm amazed at how common CB (especially White Males) is and how retarded the general public is about it.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Ha, some good stories, and I can relate to all of them. Just yesterday, someone asked why I wasn't wearing green, well found out that my 'green' pullover is actually brown. :oops: I would say that 90% off all my pants are either black or khaki colored bc those two match all the other colors.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
thanks for the great read guys. while i'm not laughing at any of you it was entertaining to get your take on the tests and otherstuff. never really thought about those odd colored numbers and dots before. I had a teacher in highschool, well dressed nice guy. who admitted that his wife picked out his clothes every morning before work so he wasn't messed up. or she put numbers on the tags

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
IUjapander said:
Ha, some good stories, and I can relate to all of them. Just yesterday, someone asked why I wasn't wearing green, well found out that my 'green' pullover is actually brown. :oops: I would say that 90% off all my pants are either black or khaki colored bc those two match all the other colors.

Khakis or jeans for me.

My wife doesn't pick out my clothes, but she does the shopping for them, so I guess its the same thing. At least she has gotten over it. She may have been the worst one when it came to inane questions about being color blind. I know she's a curious one, but having to explain what you do see is impossible. I used to have a theory that I see the world a totally different way than most normal people. Like I know what colors are by memory, not because I can actually see them. To me, grass is green because grass is green. It may not look green to me, but I know its green, because its grass. My theory was that color blind people may see an entirely different color spectrum. Like what if what I saw as green, is really what everyone else sees as orange, or vica versa. Don't think theres really any way to test though, because if you are CB, you are born CB, you don't know any different.

Next time someone asks me, 'What color is that?' 'What does that look like?', I'm going to ask them a question equally difficult to answer....'What does water taste like?'

tehchamp

Feb 14, 2011
Greetings my fellow color blind brethren!
Its always funny every time I fail a color blind test at the eye doctor, and they say its due to my mom. If you don't know, its genetic to be color blind and it stems from your mother giving you the "weak" gene instead of the dominant one. Which is also why apparently no woman can be color blind, because they always have the dominant gene to overlap the weak gene.

It is annoying getting people to say "What color is that? What about that?"
My fiancee' sometimes frustrates me because she'll ask me to pick up some shirt or something, and I'll say I can't find it, and then she'll snipe back "its right there, what are you color blind?" then I'll stare at her, she'll remember I AM actually color blind and get the opps, please, please forgive me look.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
tehchamp said:
Greetings my fellow color blind brethren!
Its always funny every time I fail a color blind test at the eye doctor, and they say its due to my mom. If you don't know, its genetic to be color blind and it stems from your mother giving you the "weak" gene instead of the dominant one. Which is also why apparently no woman can be color blind, because they always have the dominant gene to overlap the weak gene.

It is annoying getting people to say "What color is that? What about that?"
My fiancee' sometimes frustrates me because she'll ask me to pick up some shirt or something, and I'll say I can't find it, and then she'll snipe back "its right there, what are you color blind?" then I'll stare at her, she'll remember I AM actually color blind and get the opps, please, please forgive me look.

I hate that people think u can't see obvious colors. Like what color is this broccoli or the sky? The best way I explain it is that I have a hard time picking dress socks and ties that match...

Iamjoecollector

Oct 18, 2009
Salem, OR
Ionised is not /50...they are 1/1's

For the rest, see here.
http://iamjoecollector.blogspot.com/201 ... allel.html

IUjapander said:

And before anyone asks (as this is always the first question), no I don't see in black and white. But seriously if anyone know about the Heritage question I would appreciate it.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
To me green / yellow / pink colors are very hard to see . I'm not allowed to buy a green CAR - had five - wife picks colors now .

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
regarding whether Doumit's #389 even has a green tint parallel, rest assured it does not. The green (and red & blue) tints can only be found for #s 110-196. That parallels the original '62 set.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Next time someone asks me, 'What color is that?' 'What does that look like?', I'm going to ask them a question equally difficult to answer....'What does water taste like?

:lol:

That is funny stuff! I'm not colorblind but I need glasses/contacts to see. Not sure what is worse not being able to determine colors or being so blind everything is a blurry mess with out your glasses.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I think it would help those who aren't colorblind to understand if you were to take a picture of something that is recognizable to (hopefully) everyone, such as the american flag, and use a photo editing program to tinker with the colors until they display what you DO see. I also don't understand colorblindness and think this would help, alleviating a lot of dumb questions.

Members online

Latest posts