Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Vick - New Story Involving PETA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I Googled Vick to see when he is due out of jail (looking at the 49ers rumor post), and came across this new story on Fox News.

Apparently PETA is calling for Vick to submit to a psychiatric evaluation and brain scan before they'll allow him to film a public service announcement against dog fighting with them. Plus they're calling for the NFL to make the tests mandatory for him to be able to go back to the NFL, and say they won't back up his reinstatement.

I just want to say up front, I think what Vick had going on was horrible, and he deserved punishment. I'm an animal lover myself, and have 10 indoor cats (thankfully a big house too). But to suggest that he needs brain scans before being allowed to return to work is a little too much. You don't have to be mentally disturbed to fight dogs, or be cruel to animals. Dog fighting has a long history, and was a large source of entertainment in our own country for hundreds of years, and still exists legally in countries around the world. Plus there's **** fighting and bull fighting, which is a national past time in many countries. Heck, what about people who feed live rodents to their pet snakes? Does everyone in the categories above need a full brain scan and evaluation too?

But then again, PETA can sometimes be extreme or crazy, imo.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 said:
NEW YORK — PETA will not televise an anti-dogfighting public service announcement with former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick unless he submits to a brain scan and full psychiatric evaluation.

PETA spokesman Dan Shannon told FOXNews.com that negotiations broke down with Vick's attorneys, who have sought assurance from the Virginia-based organization that it would support Vick's return to football.

In an e-mail to Vick's attorneys, PETA President Ingrid Newkirk urged that Vick undergo a brain scan and a full psychiatric evaluation before being eligible to return to the NFL.

"If he passes the test, everyone can truly have hope that he has the capacity to change, and indeed has changed, not just in word but in heart, mind and deed," the e-mail read. "If that's so, we will be overjoyed and look forward to having Michael record the spot in July in which he tells dogfighters to get out and explains that cruelty to animals is wrong."

Vick, 28, is serving a 23-month sentence at the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., after pleading guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy. He is scheduled to be released in June but Vick's attorneys are attempting to have the one-time highest paid player in the NFL transferred to a halfway house in Virginia as early as late January.

"If Michael wants to do a PSA with PETA against dogfighting, and he has indicated that he does, this is the condition we're setting," Shannon said. "He's going to have to pass this exam to do the PSA and we think the NFL should require a similar exam."

Shannon said roughly 8,000 people have signed an online petition urging NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to arrange a "thorough psychiatric evaluation" of Vick. The petition was posted early Wednesday, Shannon said.

"Whether or not they should be, athletes are role models and if they're given the opportunity to be a role mode, they should meet certain character requirements," Shannon said. "Vick's people were clear that they'd like PETA to become an ally to Vick's return, but we cannot do that until we have some indication that Michael Vick is genuinely interested in becoming a part of the solution to dogfighting. Until he does that, we can't and won't support his return to the NFL."

Shannon added, "The ball is in their court."

Attempts to reach Vick's attorney, Billy Martin, and his agent, Joel Segal, were unsuccessful.
FOXNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
Thank goodness for this guy.
nfl_g_mattryan_300.jpg
Asking for a brain scan is a little too much, almost a lot of too much.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I disagree with what he was doing too but a brain scan? Do we require brain scans of murderers/etc who get out of jail before they return to society?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I heard about PETA (not Fajita Peta :lol: ) denying Vick's request for them to "back him" to be able to work again in the NFL, even though he agreed to appearing in a public anouncement for PETA....I am FULLY against animal abuse & what he did disgusts me but I believe that he is paying his debt to society & when he gets out should be given a shot to pursue any type of work he chooses (it's not like he is a pedafile (SP?)...Also, isn't Leonard Little still playing (even after killing a woman while driving drunk....& then a year later getting a 2nd DWI)???
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... rged_x.htm

I think if the NFL & it's fans can forgive Little for murdering a human being, it should be able to forgive Vick for murdering dog's (but then again, we do live in a "jacked-up" society)! :D

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
HoustonTeams4Me said:
I heard about PETA (not Fajita Peta :lol: ) denying Vick's request for them to "back him" to be able to work again in the NFL, even though he agreed to appearing in a public anouncement for PETA....I am FULLY against animal abuse & what he did disgusts me but I believe that he is paying his debt to society & when he gets out should be given a shot to pursue any type of work he chooses (it's not like he is a pedafile (SP?)...Also, isn't Leonard Little still playing (even after killing a woman while driving drunk....& then a year later getting a 2nd DWI)???

I think if the NFL & it's fans can forgive Little for murdering a human being, it should be able to forgive Vick for murdering dog's (but then again, we do live in a "jacked-up" society)! :D
Not to mention Ray Lewis, who was charged with a role in a murder (by stabbing). He then cut a plea deal to testify against two other guys after testimonies against Lewis changed in court.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

Not to mention Ray Lewis, who was charged with a role in a murder (by stabbing). He then cut a plea deal to testify against two other guys after testimonies against Lewis changed in court.

Seriously, with all the wife beaters, shooters, drug dealers, 'murderers', etc. that are still instated in this league, I can't believe Vick is getting the worst treatment out of all of them. Vick got what was coming to him, but man this is just getting absurd.

On another note, I feel bad for laughing at this, but apparently you can go online and read the "developing empathy" test he took for his PETA course. My favorite was how he described chickens:

"Chickens have an uncanny ability to think and are very agile. They are very athletic to me"

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I think he just should not be allowed to own an animal again and make that a violation of his parole. Animals would be better off, and he would be worst off without man's best friend.

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
onionring9 said:
On another note, I feel bad for laughing at this, but apparently you can go online and read the "developing empathy" test he took for his PETA course. My favorite was how he described chickens:

"Chickens have an uncanny ability to think and are very agile. They are very athletic to me"
:lol: That's really funny and I don't feel bad for laughing at it. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts