Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Two more Biggest Bust lists from Mel. New this weeK: non-QB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Mel is getting making some kinda cool lists this year. Since not everyone has Insider access, I posted the lists here. Earlier he did his Top 10 Draft Picks by Pick #. I posted that here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=124874

Last week, he listed his biggest QB busts. This week, non-QB busts. Some bad names that probably ruined collectors "stashes". Here you go:

I loved Andre Ware. You can ask me right now how I felt about him as a pro prospect, and I'll say it again -- really loved his chances. Yeah, there were concerns about the "Run & Shoot" offense he was coming out of at Houston, but he was accurate, had good enough arm strength and had the necessary height, and his leadership skills were there. In retrospect, you never quite know whether it was the situation a guy was drafted into or if he was forced to start too early or any number of things that contributed to his transition. There are always busts. And you're left wondering if you need to throw away an evaluation method, chalk it up to flukiness or somewhere in between.
I put out my first draft guide in 1978. Since then, the magnitude of the term "draft bust" seems to have grown exponentially. But the reality is still the same: You wonder in every case why it happened and what you may have missed. People discussed my ranking of the best picks from the top 10 a lot, so I thought I'd do a couple pieces on the busts. Let's start today with quarterbacks, from the time I started until now. These are the biggest busts of my time. We'll call it "The Unlucky 13."

Jack Thompson, No. 3 overall to Cincinnati, 1979
Called "The Throwin' Samoan" while on the Palouse, Thompson is one on a long list of quarterbacks Washington State has produced. Unfortunately, a couple of them are on this list. (There are a disproportionate total of busts drafted by the Bengals as well, but more on that next week.) When he left WSU, Thompson was the most prolific passer in NCAA history, but when he finished in the NFL, just five years later, he had about 2,500 fewer yards than he did in his time with the Cougs.
Rich Campbell, No. 6 overall to Green Bay, 1981
At 6-foot-4 and almost 230 pounds on my evaluation, Campbell looked like a big-time prospect out of Cal. But he never really even got started at the NFL level. It's amazing, but a No. 6 overall pick finished his career with just 386 passing yards in four seasons.

Art Schlichter, No. 4 overall to Baltimore (Colts), 1982
Something of a sad case. While Schlichter was a really talented player, there had been whispers he was heavily into gambling during his time in Columbus, and that manifested itself later in life. Famous for throwing the pass that was intercepted and led Woody Hayes to go after Clemson linebacker Charlie Bauman in the Gator Bowl, he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts and, like Campbell, seemingly never got started. He played just three years, threw 202 passes and barely cracked 1,000 yards for his career.

Todd Blackledge, No. 7 overall to Kansas City, 1983
Todd was a winner at Penn State, where he went 31-5 and won a national title. But his pro struggles seem even worse when juxtaposed against a draft class that produced John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and Ken O'Brien. He threw for a little over 5,000 yards in his NFL career and never could stay on as a full-time starter.

Kelly Stouffer, No. 6 overall to the St. Louis Cardinals, 1987
Stouffer got off to a terrible start to his NFL career. He sat out the whole 1987 season because of a contract dispute. He got dealt to Seattle, where a mix of injuries and general ineffectiveness saw him throw for just 2,333 yards for his whole career. I wasn't terribly high on Stouffer to begin with but didn't imagine he'd struggle like he did.

Andre Ware, No. 7 overall to Detroit, 1990
Again, I really liked Ware. I thought, given the right situation, he could have had a great career in the NFL. It just never came to be. All the accolades at Houston, the Heisman Trophy, the skill set and the persona, it just never added up. He finished his career with just 1,112 career passing yards and was just another of the quarterbacks that came through Detroit during the Wayne Fontes era, none of them ever able to truly complement the guy they handed the ball off to, Barry Sanders.

David Klinger, No. 6 overall to Cincinnati, 1992
After the troubles experience by Ware, Klingler may have been the straw that helped break the camel's back when it came to evaluators questioning the ability of quarterbacks to adjust after coming out of these fast-break offenses that were popping up all over college football at the time. Like Ware, Klingler had eye-popping numbers at Houston and adequate size, arm strength and accuracy. He got drafted onto a really bad team. He threw for just 3,994 yards for his NFL career.

Rick Mirer, No. 2 overall to Seattle, 1993
The guy who went No. 1 overall in 1993 was from the state of Washington and had great size and a big arm and finished his NFL career with nearly 45,000 yards passing and 251 touchdowns. But Drew Bledsoe wasn't available at No. 2. Mirer didn't have what I'd call a disastrous NFL career, with 11,969 yards passing and 68 career starts, but based on where he was taken he's still in the "bust" category.

Heath Shuler, No. 3 overall to Washington, 1994
No way around it: Shuler was a draft bust. It doesn't help that the next big name out of Tennessee was Peyton Manning, but Shuler finished a brief NFL career with just 3,691 yards and 15 touchdowns. He's since become a congressman out of North Carolina, so his leadership skills clearly didn't go to waste.

Ryan Leaf, No. 2 overall to San Diego, 1998
You'll never find a better case of a guy who really needed to be held back and allowed to develop by the franchise that drafted him as a young man (he came out after his junior year). But Leaf was put in command of a terrible team and fell apart quickly when asked to lead the team and deal with the consequences of losing. Compared to some earlier names on the list, Leaf's weak career numbers don't even look as terrible, but the sound bites and the cameras and the money all added to the effect.

Akili Smith, No. 3 overall to Cincinnati, 1999
Yet another Bengals bust, there were pretty big concerns about the kind of transition Smith would be forced to make, and thrust in as a starter in four games as a rookie, it became clear he needed more time to develop. But he never really did. Four total years in the league, 17 total starts and just five career touchdown passes. They whiffed on yet another quarterback pick.

Joey Harrington, No. 3 overall to Detroit, 2002
I really liked Harrington's chances. He had a lot of what you want to see -- smarts, size, a good arm, a great personality. He was a leader, and I thought he'd be a fit in Detroit. For whatever reason, he could never get comfortable on those Lions teams, which always seemed a little deficient in talent. But he had lots of chances, with 76 career starts. He finished with 14,693 career yards, by no means a disastrous total compared to the company, but part of his inclusion here is based on very high expectations.

JaMarcus Russell, No. 1 overall to Oakland, 2007
Normally it should be impossible to use the word "bust" when talking about a guy drafted so recently. Guys such as Philip Rivers didn't even start games for a couple years. But Russell has been the epitome of a bust. We questioned his passion for the game during the draft process, and those questions seem to have been answered in the worst ways. He has a ton of natural talent, but nothing else has worked.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
Re: Another Mel Kiper Jr. list: Top QB busts

Good list overall. Would have liked to see Todd Marinovich on it but I guess he wasn't picked high enough (24th).

Picked ahead of Favre in 1991 :lol:

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Re: Another Mel Kiper Jr. list: Top QB busts

Cade McNown
Akili Smith
Tim Couch

Allen

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
On Friday of this week (March 25th), Mel posted his biggest non-QB draft busts:

Last week, I wrote about draft busts at the quarterback position, admitting how much I liked Andre Ware, Joey Harrington and several others in the process. Many asked, so I'll follow that up with a look at the guys I consider the biggest busts at positions other than quarterback. Again, these are the guys who were in the league during the time I have evaluated. It really wouldn't be fair to go outside of that range.
I put out my first draft guide in 1978, so it will encapsulate the period since then. We'll consider only guys drafted within the top ten picks. After that, is there an exact criteria? Not really. Overall performance matters, and some guys fell prey to injuries. In some cases, the arc matters -- did a guy show flashes and build up hope only to disappear? In other cases, hype factors in. No evaluator is immune to a little bit of overexcitement on a player. Finally, very recent players aren't considered. They could still find a way back. In the end, it's a subjective list, but a conversation-starter, I'm sure. Here you go; 40 to chew on ...

Vernon Gholston, OLB, No. 6 overall to New York Jets in 2008
Finally time to call it what it is. Amazing physical skills, but not even Rex Ryan could save him.
Troy Williamson, WR, No. 7 overall to Minnesota in 2005
An absolute burner, but just 87 career receptions.
Reggie Williams, WR, No. 9 overall to Jacksonville in 2004
Should have done more, given immense physical skills. The high point was 2006.
Charles Rogers, WR, No. 2 overall to Detroit in 2003
Just 36 career receptions. What might have happened had he stayed healthy?
Dewayne Robertson, DT, No. 4 overall to New York Jets in 2003
Only 16 sacks in his career for a guy we though would really penetrate and be a menace.
Johnathan Sullivan, DT, No. 6 overall to New Orleans in 2003
Out of the game in just three years, Sullivan had a ton of ability and could really move.
Mike Williams, OT, No. 4 overall to Buffalo in 2002
An absolute mammoth at 370-plus pounds, Williams got starts but never lived up.
Ryan Sims, DT, No. 6 overall to Kansas City in 2002
Played in 105 career games but never was able to produce to the level we thought he would.
David Terrell, WR, No. 8 overall to Chicago in 2001 Loved the hype but couldn't take criticism and was very inconsistent for the Bears.
Koren Robinson, WR, No. 9 overall to Seattle in 2001
A talented but troubled guy, Robinson came in with immense skills but couldn't get out of his own way.
Jamal Reynolds, DE, No. 10 overall to Green Bay in 2001
Three total sacks for a guy who had Pro Bowl talent based on what he did for Florida State.
Courtney Brown, DE, No. 1 overall to Cleveland in 2000
Just never put it all together. Had 19 career sacks but seemed destined to do that in a year.
Peter Warrick, WR, No. 4 overall to Cincinnati in 2000
A 79-catch season in 2003 doesn't scream "bust," but Warrick was never the guy we saw in college.
David Boston, WR, No. 8 overall to Arizona in 1999
Was not a pure bust, with one monster season, but out of the NFL by 27 years old. Steroids suspension and attitude questions.
Curtis Enis, RB, No. 5 overall to Chicago in 1998
Maxed out at 287 yards in a season and finished his career with fewer than 500. Ouch.
Tommy Knight, CB, No. 9 overall to Arizona in 1997
Three career INTs for a guy who looked to be a Pro Bowl corner when he went in the top 10.
Lawrence Phillips, RB, No. 6 overall to St. Louis Rams in 1996
Talent was never the question. Phillips torched his career with off-the-field troubles.
Ki-Jana Carter, RB, No. 1 overall to Cincinnati in 1995 Got hurt before he ever got started. Never eclipsed 500 yards in a season.
Michael Westbrook, WR, No. 4 overall to Washington in 1995
Stuck around long enough for 285 catches but was never the star the Skins thought he'd be.
Mike Mamula, DE, No. 7 overall to Philadelphia in 1995
Not a total bust as some think, Mamula finished with 31.5 sacks. But the hype didn't help.
J.J. Stokes, WR, No. 10 to San Francisco in 1995
Hung around the league a long time but never the difference-maker he was at UCLA.
Trev Alberts, OLB, No. 5 overall to Indianapolis in 1994
Not much to say: 29 career games, 49 career tackles. Injuries got in the way.
Eric Curry, DE, No. 6 overall to Tampa Bay in 1993
Just 12.5 career sacks for a guy who was a monster at Alabama.
Steve Emtman, DT, No. 1 overall to Indianapolis in 1992
Injuries robbed Emtman of what he could have become, but he was still a statistical bust. Unstoppable while at Washingtion, an all-timer.
Bruce Pickens, CB, No. 3 overall to Atlanta in 1991 You don't expect to miss when you get a cornerback this high, but Atlanta did with Pickens.
Keith McCants, DE/OLB, No. 4 overall to Tampa Bay in 1990 Just 13.5 career sacks for a player Bama fans will fondly remember for what he did in that program.
Sammie Smith, RB, No. 9 overall to Miami in 1989
Smith played with a bruising style for FSU but wasn't explosive enough in the NFL.
Brent Fullwood, RB, No. 4 overall to Green Bay in 1987
He actually got a Pro Bowl nod in 1989 but just 1,702 career rushing yards.
Mike Junkin, ILB, No. 5 overall to Cleveland in 1987 Played in just 20 career games. The last Duke player to go in Round 1.
Reggie Rogers, DE, No. 7 overall to Detroit in 1987
Involved in a tragic car accident early in his career, he washed out of the league. Problems followed him.
Jon Hand, DE, No. 4 overall to Indianapolis in 1986
Not a total bust by any means, with 35.5 career sacks. But by no means the player we expected.
Anthony Bell, OLB, No. 5 overall to the St. Louis Cardinals in 1986
He actually started 65 career games, but Bell was never an impact player at four career stops.
Brian Jozwiak, OT, No. 7 overall to Kansas City in 1986
A hip injury ended his career early. A great player at West Virginia, Jozwiak was done quickly.
Mossy Cade, CB, No. 6 overall to San Diego in 1984
Convicted of sexual assault after a couple uneventful years with San Diego, he never made it back.
Ricky Hunley, ILB, No. 7 overall to Cincinnati in 1984 A star at Arizona, Hunley sat out his first year and bounced around. Has had a long career in coaching.
Leonard Coleman, CB, No. 8 overall to Indianapolis in 1984
Played in 49 career games and picked off six passes. But not a great career given his talent.
David Verser, WR, No. 10 overall to Cincinnati in 1981
Just 23 career catches to go with an unspectacular career as a kick returner.
Tom Cousineau, ILB, No. 1 overall to Buffalo in 1979
He was kind of an undersized guy, even in 1979, and his career didn't match his work in Columbus.
Ken MacAfee, TE, No. 7 overall to San Francisco in 1978
A star in South Bend at tight end, MacAfee didn't want to play guard, and ended up a dentist instead.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Im a bills fan I'm used to bad drafting. Here's just a short list of the recent agony.

- Who ever made the call to draft Mike Williams over Bryant Mckinnie should be punched in the nuts.
- Trading up to get JP Losman because according to the Bills "he was the highest rated QB on their board." C'mon, really?
- John McCargo? Who? Why?
- Drafting Aaron Maybin because of his potential upside instead of Brian Orakpo. Dumb asses!

I love having the 3rd overall pick but given the Bills recent track record I'm scared. If we draft Cam Newton I will throw my own feces at the TV and then punch myself in the face.

Great now I'm depressed.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Where is Aundry Bruce? He had a long career but nothing like you would expect from a number #1 overall pick. Even was moved to TE for a short while by Glanville.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Sweetness said:
Im a bills fan I'm used to bad drafting. Here's just a short list of the recent agony.

- Who ever made the call to draft Mike Williams over Bryant Mckinnie should be punched in the nuts.
- Trading up to get JP Losman because according to the Bills "he was the highest rated QB on their board." C'mon, really?
- John McCargo? Who? Why?- Drafting Aaron Maybin because of his potential upside instead of Brian Orakpo. Dumb asses!

I love having the 3rd overall pick but given the Bills recent track record I'm scared. If we draft Cam Newton I will throw my own feces at the TV and then punch myself in the face.

Great now I'm depressed.

The McCargo selection dumbfounded me and to this day I still have no idea as to why the Bills took him. What did they see in him?

The Maybin pick was another head scratcher. I think he can be compared to Gholston but w/out consistent college production that the Jets had to go on.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Emtman was special and had the talent but couldn't stay healthy for any amount of time. IMO he could of had a Suh type impact but his body broke down as soon as he got to the NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts