Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Razor Signature 10 Box Case Break - Not Impressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
After seeing some of the singles from this set picking up a little steam, I decided to try a case of this stuff. When the product first came out, I was skeptical of its appeal to collectors and feared that many would view it as another product like Just. This skepticism kept me from busting any boxes/cases at release time.

So, on to the break...

Autos #d < 1000
Kyle Skipworth #106 /699
Yonder Alonso #107 /699 - Case Hit?
Destin Hood #138 /699
2 x Kyle Lobstein #141 /699
2 x Eric Berger #158 /699
Tyson Ross #193 /699
TJ Steele #198 /499

Black Parallel Autos #d to 199
Aaron Hicks #114
Carlos Gutierrez #127
David Adams #130
Bobby Bundy #160
Bryan Price #188
Kevin Pucetas #189
Zach Putnam #190
Dennis Raben #191
JP Ramirez #192
Tyson Ross #193
Cody Satterwhite #194
Logan Schafer #195
Zeke Spruill #196
2 x Michael Stanton #197 - First/Second Runner Up for Case Hit?
TJ Steele #198
Niko Vasquez #199
Beamer Weems #200

That's pretty much it. No autos numbered to less than 199 and no dual autos. The collation with the base cards was atrocious with at least 2-3 packs per box having duplicate base cards in them (2 out of the 4 base cards in the pack were the same card!). You can also see some lacking collation with the autos listed above with the consecutive numbering of the blacks and the duplicates of a few autos. I have 3 copies of some the higher numbered autos.

I know that you cannot judge an entire product from one box or case, but when I drop $700+ on a case of cards, I expect better results and quality control than what was demonstrated to me today. I know that this break will keep me from wanting to purchase another Razor product for quite a while.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
No autos numbered to less than 199 and no dual autos = NOT COOL. I would be frustrated with that case as well.

70Chip

Aug 7, 2008
archiebunkerjr said:
No autos numbered to less than 199 and no dual autos = NOT COOL. I would be frustrated with that case as well.

I happen to agree with above bolded text 100%.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
qualitycards94 said:
Razor failed in my opinion, they should be out of business in a year or two. *(Waits for Gilmore to back Brian up)*

They are the first company to put out a product that has had collation issues?

Their products sell out. Not sure how that will put them out of business.

I've had dozens of bad bowman cases, it's the nature of the beast.

qualitycards94

Dec 1, 2008
justinmandawg said:
qualitycards94 said:
Razor failed in my opinion, they should be out of business in a year or two. *(Waits for Gilmore to back Brian up)*

No, it's not collation issues. It's a matter of irresponsibly spending ridiculous amounts of money locking up anyone they can. NO ONE can sign that many guys, and I'm not so sure their upcoming product Letterman is going to do too hot either.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
qualitycards94 said:
justinmandawg said:
qualitycards94 said:

No, it's not collation issues. It's a matter of irresponsibly spending ridiculous amounts of money locking up anyone they can. NO ONE can sign that many guys, and I'm not so sure their upcoming product Letterman is going to do too hot either.

You know how much those contracts were? Why do you care what they spend?
It is akin to people caring what sports teams spend. They complain about it but they are private businesses and it's of no consequence to anyone outside the business.

If they are selling out, which they are, they are doing fine in the current economy.

Letterman will sell out. Just like their other products have.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
and that is why i was breaking 07 bdp @ <525/case like no tomorrow while everyone was breaking razor. i'm all for supporting new cos., but honestly, i don't see the resale value being there w/razor- yet. i've just sold a fraction of the low end stuff from my 07 bdp cases (#/399, non rc parallels, base bdp, base bdp gold) and have already made a handy profit on those cases. WAY better bust imo. even w/a 'bad' bdp case (and yes, i've had several), i've still gotten more bang for my buck than i feel razor produces...at a LOWER /box /case buy in point.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Sorry to head about this. I actually only own one Razor card and that's enough for me. Its a shame how they're able to sign all these exclusives. I guess that will continue to make Topps think of new ways and international prospects to sign.

Allen

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
17 boxes here
no duals, no /5 but I understand busting is a gamble
Picked up some of the better non parallel as one should when busting nearly 2 cases but overall got creamed (false excitement when you spend about $80 on a box and get excited when you pull a $17 with a bunch of $3 cards to finihs the box off)
In retrospect I should have taken the $1600 and used it on 8 BDP Gordon Beckham gold autos and just scooped up singles of Razor since the market has shown that there were some "steals" on some of the singles without having to dish out the $75-90 on a box

No sense for me selling them at a loss right now
Might as well wait to sell which 6-8 blossom
Hopefully products #2,#3, #4 etc do not overflow the market with these players' autos

Besides the bad cutting of the cards which I can give Razor some slack as they are still learning since they aren't used to cutting cards that thick (assuming the Razor poker autos aren't as thick---mine are encased) the other "mistake" Razor made was having a 100 auto set. It may have sounded good as a plan but way too many of those guys won't come around and make it. It's just reality. I think Razor tried to include too many iffy players to the checklist just to please those that collect the east coast MLB teams and in return flooded the checklist (and ruined it) for those that aren't pumped about receiving late round Yanks/BoSox etc. BG got some bad advice with the checklist IMO

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
Bruin7 said:
Sorry to head about this. I actually only own one Razor card and that's enough for me. Its a shame how they're able to sign all these exclusives. I guess that will continue to make Topps think of new ways and international prospects to sign.

Allen

:shaking my head:
one of the stupidest things ive read on these boards.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I think Razor is one product where you dont have to bust in quantity. If you only buy 2-5 boxes you could break even off the bat or almost break even. At least thats what happened with me. Since there is no "case hit" in Razor while in Draft you are almost guaranteed to get a case hit.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
mredsox89 said:
I think Razor is one product where you dont have to bust in quantity. If you only buy 2-5 boxes you could break even off the bat or almost break even. At least thats what happened with me. Since there is no "case hit" in Razor while in Draft you are almost guaranteed to get a case hit.

What non parallel is consider a "case hit" where you can get $70-80 due to the fact that about 7 of the other autos in the box sell for under $5?

I'm noticed a few breaks posted and see how some are pumped over getting one nice card (ie Mike Stanton or Jemile Weeks or Kyle Skipworth) and seem to think that they are ahead of the game. Boxes = $70-90 and those cards (Weeks, Skipworth, Stanton for example) aren't cracking a sawbuck

I understand that you don't get equal value on every box but I am confused when I read posts that people bust product, get a 33% poetntial ROI and are pumped.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
kentuckyderby said:
mredsox89 said:

What non parallel is consider a "case hit" where you can get $70-80 due to the fact that about 7 of the other autos in the box sell for under $5?

I'm noticed a few breaks posted and see how some are pumped over getting one nice card (ie Mike Stanton or Jemile Weeks or Kyle Skipworth) and seem to think that they are ahead of the game. Boxes = $70-90 and those cards (Weeks, Skipworth, Stanton for example) aren't cracking a sawbuck

I understand that you don't get equal value on every box but I am confused when I read posts that people bust product, get a 33% poetntial ROI and are pumped.

Right, there is no case hit in Razor.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I feel for you. At the same time, I feel guilty for having busted 1 box and gotten two decent hits out of it. Good tale to be weary of I guess.

I think the jury will be out on Razor for a while. the fact that these are "Exclusive" is a wildcard in any said prognostication.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
justinmandawg said:
qualitycards94 said:

Did letterman sell out?

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Jeff N. said:
justinmandawg said:
qualitycards94 said:

Did letterman sell out?

Good question. I do not know that answer. I don't see them doing made to order products like topps does so it is completely possible that it won't.

qualitycards94

Dec 1, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Jeff N. said:
justinmandawg said:
qualitycards94 said:

Did letterman sell out?

Good question. I do not know that answer. I don't see them doing made to order products like topps does so it is completely possible that it won't.

So then how could you say their product(s) sell out. One did, after that one I'm not so sure how well they'll do.

Members online

Latest posts