Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

They don't make game-used like they used to...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If they still made cards like that they'd be taken for granted...and people would still complain!

Great card though. There still are some great GU being made today.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
If they still made cards like that they'd be taken for granted...and people would still complain!

Great card though. There still are some great GU being made today.

I agree with the first statement, not sure on the second (at least comparatively.)

I have not seen any glove cards in ages (or any other game-used other than bats and jerseys.) Themed cards (like this one) for the most part seem to be a thing of the past. The designs in the Topps high-end sets seem to be the same year after year. For older players no one knows where/what the material in the cards even came from. I have not seen anything I've been excited about. (Of course JMO.)

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
Absolutely awesome card.

As for GU - I loved 05 Prime Patches and 05 Absolute TT because not only did they have great GU pieces and patches, but they specifically told you right on the card that this came from a "GU Hat" or "GU Batting Glove" or "GU Letter Patch" vs. "GU Number Patch", etc. Very cool stuff that you will probably never see again.

This is why I've stopped collecting my Phils HOFers post 2009. Nothing worth collecting, especially when you're talking HOF.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
those aren't memorabilia from the actual play, right? just a representative sample of a Mays glove and a Wertz bat?

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
ITG makes by far the best game used cards.

scan0012-2.jpg

Football and Baseball are pretty basic now a days

AhmanGreen2.jpg
DonaldDriver.jpg
AlexGordon.jpg

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
GU is dead. Sure you could pull a cool patch once in a blue moon, but for the most parts its plain white boring jerseys that are probably "event used" anyway.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It's not Topps fault. They started making fake (manufactured) patches and people loved them. Why spend a bunch of effort on actual GU stuff when you don't have to...

OP, sweet card! I have a similar one...

1_5e867cd3c04a9ef897639f3b773a86ee.jpg

But it's the gold version. At least I think I have it somewhere, haven't seen it for years.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
If anyone has any question about how horrible GU'ed cards have become, look at how much the Upper Deck "A Piece of History" bat relics go for. When was the last time a BAT RELIC reached that kind of dough. Its ridiculous. The cards are that awesome that people will pay thousands for a chip of a bat. Never happens anymore.

That ITG card just has a big patch. It has no other reason for me to buy it. No player picture, no team, nothing. Just because the patch is crazy, doesnt mean the card looks good.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
rsmath said:
those aren't memorabilia from the actual play, right? just a representative sample of a Mays glove and a Wertz bat?
Yup.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
CraigsCards1 said:
RL24 said:
It's not Topps fault. They started making fake (manufactured) patches and people loved them.

That's not Topps' fault?

Right. It's the consumers fault.

Wouldn't you be sad if instead of baseball cards all we had were baseball marbles? Or stickers? Or cards made of cloth? The list of ideas Topps has tried is long, and 9 out of 10 have failed. The consumers didn't purchase enough, and Topps scrapped the idea. The opposite happened with the manufactured patches. Topps tried an idea, and the consumers ate it up. So of course they have expanded on the idea.

I don't know what's wrong with people, I really don't. I do know that they will pay more for a manufactured patch than they will for most other cards from the same Topps set. Clearly there is something wrong with people, I just don't know what it is.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
rsmath said:
Yup.

I edited this card. I held the glove. It was from the early 70s. We had to be very careful with the wording on the card so as not to imply that these were the bat and glove used during that play.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts