Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Montero likely to go to AAA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
cmnkb8 said:
If he goes to AAA to start the year, I hope there's a wave of panicky prospectors that dump their Montero Chrome AU's cheap so I can buy a small stash and flip them when he inevitably gets called up :D

Too bad this is what at least have of the board will be thinking, including myself :lol:

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I'm going to say it, even though I am invested in Jesus and no longer invested in Britton.

Zach Britton made Montero look like an absolute idiot at the plate yesterday. Montero could not hit a pitch down and away, and in fact, he missed each of the pitches by several inches. He wasn't even close. He apparently has a weakness to sinking pitches.

That being said, he's 5 of his last 14 (.357) :)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
aminors said:
I'm going to say it, even though I am invested in Jesus and no longer invested in Britton.

Zach Britton made Montero look like an absolute idiot at the plate yesterday. Montero could not hit a pitch down and away, and in fact, he missed each of the pitches by several inches. He wasn't even close. He apparently has a weakness to sinking pitches.

That being said, he's 5 of his last 14 (.357) :)

This happens all the time. Elite hitters make outs 2/3rds of the time, often they look stupid doing so.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Where are the 50 guys on here that we were KILLING ME by saying he wouldn't start the season in the bigs? hmmmmmm

I think he is MUCH better off going down to triple AAA to start the season.

I also have to admit, those saying he has a sweet Right Handed swing, I have to disagree. I watched 3 of his at bats yesterday against Britton. That RH swing is ummmmm well, not as nice as hyped. Just sayin

skrip

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
ballerskrip said:
Where are the 50 guys on here that we were KILLING ME by saying he wouldn't start the season in the bigs? hmmmmmm

I think he is MUCH better off going down to triple AAA to start the season.

I also have to admit, those saying he has a sweet Right Handed swing, I have to disagree. I watched 3 of his at bats yesterday against Britton. That RH swing is ummmmm well, not as nice as hyped. Just sayin
skrip

over and over and over and over

:lol:

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
StrasburgMania said:
He is young and russ doesn't have that much left in the tank.

Martin turned 28 a month ago and is like a month and a half older than Joe Mauer. He's one year older than McCann. A Few years younger than V-Mart. He's played like 5 years of pro ball. I don't think it's a matter about how much is left in the tank. There's plenty in the tank. Russell Martin just wasn't as good as everyone assumed he was when he went on a 1.5 year tear.

Personally, I wouldn't write off a bounce-back year from Martin especially in New York. 14-17 HR aren't out of the question. I understand that people wanna jack off Montero, but it's a matter of who gives you the best chance to win and who has options left.

Martin gives you positive defensive value at a tough spot and he calls a great game.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Most reports are that Montero has regressed behind the plate. Which has been said all spring. Which is the opposite of what people here have been saying.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
braden said:
Most reports are that Montero has regressed behind the plate. Which has been said all spring. Which is the opposite of what people here have been saying.

Everything on the boards has been PUMPING that he has improved dramatically behind the plate. I guess perception and reality are a bit different.

skrip

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
StrasburgMania said:

Martin turned 28 a month ago and is like a month and a half older than Joe Mauer. He's one year older than McCann. A Few years younger than V-Mart. He's played like 5 years of pro ball. I don't think it's a matter about how much is left in the tank. There's plenty in the tank. Russell Martin just wasn't as good as everyone assumed he was when he went on a 1.5 year tear.

Personally, I wouldn't write off a bounce-back year from Martin especially in New York. 14-17 HR aren't out of the question. I understand that people wanna jack off Montero, but it's a matter of who gives you the best chance to win and who has options left.

Martin gives you positive defensive value at a tough spot and he calls a great game.
Yeah, not sure why everyone is hatin' on Russ Martin? Even though he did not meet his expectations the past two seasons, he still did have a .350 OBP since 09' which is very good considering his BA was near .250

And like you said, he is valuable behind the plate...much more so than Montero.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
scotty21690 said:
pigskincardboard said:
StrasburgMania said:

Yeah, not sure why everyone is hatin' on Russ Martin? Even though he did not meet his expectations the past two seasons, he still did have a .350 OBP since 09' which is very good considering his BA was near .250

And like you said, he is valuable behind the plate...much more so than Montero.

28 in FCB years is 105.

Members online