Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mantle loved to make special inscriptions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I have not read the recent bio of Mickey Mantle entitled "The Last Boy," but my father has and he told me that it mentions how Mantle would occasionally, under the influence of alcohol, add extra "colorful" inscriptions with public autograph requests. I wondered why I had never seen one, but found this auction tonight. Great signature.

http://auctions.alexautographs.com/asp/ ... o=+++68927

soulax5

Sep 23, 2010
So Oregon
I would love to have that ball if I just had the cash laying around. Wish stars could do it now days but they would be hung at the stake.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Love it. I suppose if everyone did it, the novelty would wear off, but it'd be cool to see it pop up more often. That, and yeah, they'd be killed in the media I suppose. Too bad..

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
um, do we know if the inscriptions are legit?
ive never seen mickey write anything but his name :lol:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
boomo said:

Have you ever seen him at the bar completely plastered with people pushing for odd inscriptions?

I haven't, but I think they are real.

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009
I don't care, I love him even more now....that's the best ever....it probably wasn't a kid, but some grown man at a bar or a friend....it's funny to me!!!!

A_Pharis

TBTwinsFan said:
boomo said:

Have you ever seen him at the bar completely plastered with people pushing for odd inscriptions?

I haven't, but I think they are real.

My Mantle sig is from an old woman that approached him pretty well into a night at a hotel bar. She got him to sign a Natural Lite magazine ad featuring.... him.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Am I the only one that doesn't get this?

brumbach said:
My favorite is still the "I F****d Monroe" ball as well as this napkin joke:
(I don't own it, just saved the scan)
Mantle_Mickey_Pig_Napkin.jpg

Members online

Latest posts