Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alright fantasy experts, bring your knowledge in here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Alright guys, I am in a 12 team, $100 per person, head to head league. There are 6 hitting categories, the main five plus OPS and 6 pitching categories including k/9 as the only out of the ordinary. I won this league last year, regular season and playoffs with Big aquisitions such as Buster Posey and Carlos Gonzalez.

Here is my squad. I am looking for any suggestions you might have. There are a bunch of interchangeable parts, i really like players who can play multiple positions since we can change lineups daily.

C - Victor Martinez (also 1st base eligibility)
1b - Carlos Pena
2b -Robinson Cano
SS - JJ Hardy
3B - Pablo Sandoval (also 1b eligibility)
OF - Matt Holiday, Cory Hart, Andres Torres
Bench / Utility - Michael Cuddyer (OF/1b/3b), Vernon Wells, Omar Infante (2b, ss 3b, of), Mitch Moreland (1b), Freddie Freeman (1b), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2b, ss).

SP
Jon Lester
David Price
Matt Cain
Tommy Hanson
Brian Matusz
Anibal Sanchez

RP
Joe Nathan
Brad Lidge
Brandon League
Frank Francisco
Brian Fuentes

I am open to thoughts on players to drop, players to look for, etc.

A couple of guys that I have some interest in that are available are Brandon Beachy, Justin Smoak, Logan Morrison, Carlos Ruiz, Ryan Ludwick, Johnny Damon, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jordan Walden (have a feeling he will be the closer soon enough).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks all

skrip

billsanders007

Jan 20, 2011
Your SP is set if there is no more injuries.

IMHO...your RP is short a closer or 2. You should be able to adjust your RP as unsettled roles shakeout throughout the first few months. If you watch the waiver wire and roster action you should be ok.

Pitching as a whole looks pretty good...I figure you should win most/all SP cats and at least split/contend in RP so that is good. If you build up your RP, that could be a win across the board for pitching.

C: No backup. Shouldn't be a huge issue since V Mart is going to DH all year. Him having availability is a gift from God for you.

1B: Weak area. You have lots of options on your roster. Not a fan of Pena....hope for a walk year miracle. Otherwise you have some youth who could have some upside. I would look for a waiver wire guy in the future...I like that you have an eye on Smoak. Raked in college. NOW...remember to this point I've been positive about everything, every fantasy champion has a couple parts of his roster he/she would want to upgrade.

2B: Plug and Play. Likely your first pick. Hope for an injury free year and play him every day unless the Yanks have an off day.

SS: Hardy is up and down. Streaky in my experience. Sometimes cool to warm. Sometimes torrid and then frigid. Usually averages out to a pretty good year. He will carry your team a couple of weeks and then you will be tempted to waive him a couple of weeks. I say you are good.

3B: Weak area possibly. I love Kung Fu Panda. Young, strong. But he has had 1 great year filled with hope and 1 year filled with a reminder a guy the size of Mo Vaughn is playing 3rd base. Watch closely and look for options on your bench or waiver wire.

OF: Solid: Going to focus on 1 player. I think you should start Vernon Wells from the beginning. He will be on a much better team this year. OF is one of those places I usually had 2 guys who play as long as they are playing that day and 1 slot that rotates throughout the year. I can easily see this happening to you. Constantly search the waiver wire for help.

Trades/Waiver Wire: I've played fantasy baseball for over a decade (or right at a decade since my first year was my Junior yr in HS, and I'm now 29) and I've never had a trade proposed to me that is even close to fair. I've executed trades and they always have weakened me. I cruise the waiver wire with a vigor. I hear guys change leagues or teams and snap them up. I set my alarm to wake up early and pick up CC Sabathia to get him when he was traded from Cle to Mil.

Just not a big believer in trades. Never seen them work out for both parties!

Good luck!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
billsanders007 said:
Your SP is set if there is no more injuries.

IMHO...your RP is short a closer or 2. You should be able to adjust your RP as unsettled roles shakeout throughout the first few months. If you watch the waiver wire and roster action you should be ok.

Pitching as a whole looks pretty good...I figure you should win most/all SP cats and at least split/contend in RP so that is good. If you build up your RP, that could be a win across the board for pitching.

C: No backup. Shouldn't be a huge issue since V Mart is going to DH all year. Him having availability is a gift from God for you.

1B: Weak area. You have lots of options on your roster. Not a fan of Pena....hope for a walk year miracle. Otherwise you have some youth who could have some upside. I would look for a waiver wire guy in the future...I like that you have an eye on Smoak. Raked in college. NOW...remember to this point I've been positive about everything, every fantasy champion has a couple parts of his roster he/she would want to upgrade.

2B: Plug and Play. Likely your first pick. Hope for an injury free year and play him every day unless the Yanks have an off day.

SS: Hardy is up and down. Streaky in my experience. Sometimes cool to warm. Sometimes torrid and then frigid. Usually averages out to a pretty good year. He will carry your team a couple of weeks and then you will be tempted to waive him a couple of weeks. I say you are good.

3B: Weak area possibly. I love Kung Fu Panda. Young, strong. But he has had 1 great year filled with hope and 1 year filled with a reminder a guy the size of Mo Vaughn is playing 3rd base. Watch closely and look for options on your bench or waiver wire.

OF: Solid: Going to focus on 1 player. I think you should start Vernon Wells from the beginning. He will be on a much better team this year. OF is one of those places I usually had 2 guys who play as long as they are playing that day and 1 slot that rotates throughout the year. I can easily see this happening to you. Constantly search the waiver wire for help.

Trades/Waiver Wire: I've played fantasy baseball for over a decade (or right at a decade since my first year was my Junior yr in HS, and I'm now 29) and I've never had a trade proposed to me that is even close to fair. I've executed trades and they always have weakened me. I cruise the waiver wire with a vigor. I hear guys change leagues or teams and snap them up. I set my alarm to wake up early and pick up CC Sabathia to get him when he was traded from Cle to Mil.

Just not a big believer in trades. Never seen them work out for both parties!

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your detailed thoughts. I really do appreciate it. My concerns are in the same areas as you have stated.

If 3 of my relievers are closers, I am good, since it is a 12 team league.

Carlos Pena is a concern, without a doubt. That is part of the reason I grabbed both Mitch Moreland + Freddie Freeman along with having Cuddyer with 1st base eligiblity.

I Really like my pitching staff, though I have some concerns because two of my opponents have 9 starters to my 6. That could REALLY hurt when it comes to K's and Wins in head to head matchups with them.

Again, thanks for your help!

Skrip

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
ballerskrip said:
1b - Carlos Pena
SS - JJ Hardy
3B - Pablo Sandoval (also 1b eligibility)
OF - Andres Torres
Bench / Utility - Mitch Moreland (1b), Freddie Freeman (1b), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2b, ss).

SP
Anibal Sanchez

RP
Brandon League
Frank Francisco
Brian Fuentes

Matt,

I left up the areas I found weak on your team.

1B - Very weak average wise, but could produce monster power numbers. I like that you have like 6 1B eligible players, but I would consider dropping Moreland or Freeman if Luke Scott is available. 1B/OF guy with plenty of power, decent OPS and a better Orioles lineup this year.

SS - As was said, Hardy is very streaky and could kill you some weeks but carry you others. Nishioka could pan out or completely bust, as there have really been only two decent oriental hitters (Ichiro and Godzilla).

UTIL/3B/OF - Sandoval has been discussed, I don't think Torres repeats what he did last year and I am leery of Moreland and Freeman.

Anibal Sanchez - Not sure why he is being drafted so often this year, as I don't see him ever living up to his "potential". Maybe consider dropping him and a 1B and finding some streamable SP pitchers.

RP - You have two guaranteed (if healthy) closers. As for League, Fuentes and Fransisco there is either better competition, a short leash or fading talent involved with all 3. I would definitely consider picking up Jordan Walden. If Kyle Farnsworth or Jake McGee are FA's, I would pick up one, as the Rays are running a closer by committee out there and both will be involved. Other than that, maybe handcuff some shaky situations, like Bailey in OAK, maybe get Venters if he is a FA, possibly Meek in PIT.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.