Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Small game used pickup + Borders Sale.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
So, after a sad/interesting couple of days up for the state tourney (we took 4th :(), I was able to walk away with some decent stuff from the Borders Sale... Kinda upset that I was too sick to get to the 3rd place game, but that's ok.

I know all the Twins fans are thinking "HE FINALLY BOUGHT A PERK JERSEY!" Ehhhh.... no. I went to the Majestic Clubhouse and I didn't know what to expect. I walked in, and looked around and found the game used case. It had some cool stuff in there (a cool framed/matted ticket stub collection. I was at 2 of those games, and own the stub for a third) and a ton of Game Used jerseys.

The problem was, the Perk's that were there, were all 400 bucks (inaugural season ::facepalm:: ). Everything was REALLY expensive too... they had 4 GU helmets. I thought about picking the cheapo up, but they didn't know who used it, and I didn't want to waste the money, only not to find out.

Their OMLB's (plain OMLB) w/ case were around $30 ::facepalm:: .

ONTO my GU pick up. I stopped by the front table to look through baseballs. They had some from the day before the game we went too. I was looking for the games we went too, but I decided one from the same series would do. The ball I picked up was tossed by Rickey Romero and fouled off by JJ Hardy. Nothing special, but it has the inaugural season stamp on it. I also picked up an Ultra Pro case to go with it. Paid a total of $37, and change, which included tax.

904d67ce.jpg

After that, we headed over to Borders. Apparently, the company filed for some sort of bankruptcy, and are only keeping a few stores open and are going to try to rebuild, but they were closing the majority, which meant all-out pandemonium sale. They were sold out of just about everything (40%+ off sale). They were also selling their furniture/office supplies (dad bought a printer).

One thing I noticed, is the rack with all of the 2012 books was completely full :lol: Is this finally dieing down?

Anyway, I found some "gems."

"Juiced" - Jose Canseco. It has been a book I wanted to read (IDK how much it cost after sale and bankruptcy prices).

"Batting Stance Man" - Gar Ryness - Caleb Dewart. ($1!) Bought it for a quick read/TTMage. I don't think they produced hardcover, so after this is read, I am sending it TTM.

and the FCB Book Club Platinum Sticker Collection...

"The Bullpen Gospels" - Dirk Hayhurst. It is a paperback, so I doubt I will try to get it signed, but it has been at the top of my list for reading for quite some time.

BUT the BIIIIIG pickup of the stop...

a FULL box of padded envelopes. for $12.50. It is a big box too. I should be set for shipping for a while. Like I said, they were selling 90% of their displays (basically anything they owned), and all of their office supplies. The food court stuff was being sold... basically everything that wasn't nailed down, or was owned by like Coke or something.

Overall, a decent day with the pickups. I hope to get these badboys read!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
So wait, the 150 blue jersey they told me about, where was that one?? :?
What about the Jackie Robinson Day jersey for 200? That would have his tagging on the inside of the jersey, so you would know it was his.
What about the Gophers one for 300?
Did they not have any of these at the store?

I knew the others were 400, but doesnt make sense what they told me on the phone vs. what you are saying they told you.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Musial Collector said:
So wait, the 150 blue jersey they told me about, where was that one?? :?
What about the Jackie Robinson Day jersey for 200? That would have his tagging on the inside of the jersey, so you would know it was his.
What about the Gophers one for 300?
Did they not have any of these at the store?

I knew the others were 400, but doesnt make sense what they told me on the phone vs. what you are saying they told you.

Actually, they told you everything they had in the Pro Shop system, I think. The only things they had at the Clubhouse (according to him, they were actually tucked away in storage) were the $400 jerseys.

He was going through and for some reason, they had checks by them and he said "I wonder if his dad came and cleaned us out..." :lol: They checked them for some odd reason... but only one was sold.

I don't really know what to think of the whole ordeal. I will have to save up (the money I had spent on the ball) and make a trip up there for a Gopher game during the afternoon, and stop back in and go through this process again, and then track down where the jerseys are.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Juiced was a pretty good read.. not from a biased standpoint either. I don't think alot of people realize just how tough it probably was to be Canseco in the late 80's-mid 90's as he was simply larger than life and baseball.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Nice game used item and cheap to have from first year at Target Field. Will probably be a long time before twins have something special on game used balls used at home again.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Hope you enjoy The Bullpen Gospels. I thought it was a great read. Raunchy in some parts, heart-tugging in others. Plus, Dirk was a really nice guy at the FCB booth at last year's National.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
gmarutiak said:
Hope you enjoy The Bullpen Gospels. I thought it was a great read. Raunchy in some parts, heart-tugging in others. Plus, Dirk was a really nice guy at the FCB booth at last year's National.

I hope I like it too. It seems like a good read personally... Probably start with that one first

Members online

Latest posts