Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps and the MLB exclusivety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMmedia

Feb 15, 2010
Now that we're in our second year of Topps' stranglehold on the MLB license, are you happy with offerings? Are the products, the hits, the designs, the various sub-brands in the Topps product line – are they doing the job for you, as a collector/reseller, etc.? Or, do you feel there is a void that was created by the exclusive deal?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Here is a cropped version of your sig so it takes up less space:

WrightCustomBooklet-1.jpg

By the way, that custom card is awesome!

(As for the topic at hand, I have not followed the new stuff all that closely, though Heritage seems to have some sweet cards.)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
JAMmedia said:
Thanks. I just cropped it myself, as well. :lol:
The card is absolutely sick. Is everything there authentic, game-used etc?

JAMmedia

Feb 15, 2010
Thank you. Yes. I'm working on a step-by-step pictorial on how I make my cards and a gallery of all of the ones I have done so far.

I really dig Heritage. I think Tribute has been a half-baked effort for the last two years and the degradation in quality on the chrome cards from 2009 to 2010 was appalling. Gypsy Queen looks stillborn before release and doesn't fill a need in the market, as far as I can see; at least with A&G in the mix.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
JAMmedia said:
Thank you. Yes. I'm working on a step-by-step pictorial on how I make my cards and a gallery of all of the ones I have done so far.

I really dig Heritage. I think Tribute has been a half-baked effort for the last two years and the degradation in quality on the chrome cards from 2009 to 2010 was appalling. Gypsy Queen looks stillborn before release and doesn't fill a need in the market, as far as I can see; at least with A&G in the mix.

GQ will be a successful product only because there is so little of it being made.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
As far as I am concerned, the only difference between Topps have exclusivity and having other players in the mix is simply less products overall. Less good products and less bad products.

All in all, whether or not there are 5 companies each kicking out 10 products each, or one company kicking out 10 products...the same percentage are hits and the same percentage are crap.

JAMmedia

Feb 15, 2010
That's true, however, the caveat is there is less variety among that percentage than before.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
So far this could be a much better year for Topps. Gypsy is gonna smoke Chicle and T206.
Heritage has been awesome. Ginter looks great as usual. With a better than expected auto checklist.
Have heard they are going to do a 5 star baseball? has it been confirmed? That Will satisfy the people who have way too much money to blow on cards.