Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why 9 auto grades are bad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
If you have a card that you know is gem mint but you are concerned about the auto grade due to sticker run-off etc, I've always thought that PSA made sense, the sales below though on a Singleton Elite card just confirmed my thoughts:

BGS 9.5 with 9 auto: [phil:1t09yzag]260752066574[/phil:1t09yzag]

PSA 10: [phil:1t09yzag]110659721459[/phil:1t09yzag]

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
masonphillip said:
If you have a card that you know is gem mint but you are concerned about the auto grade due to sticker run-off etc, I've always thought that PSA made sense, the sales below though on a Singleton Elite card just confirmed my thoughts:

BGS 9.5 with 9 auto: [phil:3m5dif2l]260752066574[/phil:3m5dif2l]

PSA 10: [phil:3m5dif2l]110659721459[/phil:3m5dif2l]
Wow that is crazy. But I guess i understand why now.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
The seller having 45 FB doesn't help the BGS version.

A fair point but that was the higher of two sales, here is the other: [phil:2a4ikddy]260756222829[/phil:2a4ikddy]

Honestly, this wouldn't bother me a bit if a 10 auto grade made a card like that sell higher but I'm almost certain it doesn't.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
I agree that the 9 auto grade does greatly show in the sales but the PSA 10 card does have a full signature unlike the BGS cards shown as comparison.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
What's even worse is when a BGS 10 signature fades and still sits inside of a silly slab calling it a "10" autograph.

The autograph is the one constant that can fall apart making BGS autograph grades a joke.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
brouthercard said:
Does that mean an "11" auto grade would get you even more money? :lol:
Of course, but currently, NGS (Nigel's Grading Service) is the only one offering the possibility of 11 grades. Then again, their legendary "none more black" slabs make seeing the actual card very difficult.

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
This is ridiculous. This autograph is as nice as 90% of them, yet the 9.5 with a 9 auto went for around half what they usually get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BGS-9-5-Topps-Trade ... 33662df5c3

I dont think its ridiculous.... the auto clearly is not perfect, so it shouldnt be getting a gem mint price.....

I also like to add to all of the people who think first_class_card_guys get grades handed them.. this is a good example.. they have 7 crawford 9.5 with 9 autos... I know very well of this because I was part of this group and I actually created the name....

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The ironic thing is that the PSA 10 card could actually get a 9 auto as well, so some PSA 10's get the benefit of NOT having an autograph grade assigned to it.

Always buy the card, not the grade.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
The ironic thing is that the PSA 10 card could actually get a 9 auto as well, so some PSA 10's get the benefit of NOT having an autograph grade assigned to it.

Yep - totally true.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
masonphillip said:
brouthercard said:

Yep - totally true.

I think if these type of sales trends continue, people will start buying bgs 9.5/9 cards for CHEAPer, and converting them to psa 10's. I've seen many psa 10 cards that would have received 8 or 9 autos.

It's funny how people get mesmerzied by the number.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
masonphillip said:
brouthercard said:

Yep - totally true.

I think if these type of sales trends continue, people will start buying bgs 9.5/9 cards for CHEAPer, and converting them to psa 10's. I've seen many psa 10 cards that would have received 8 or 9 autos.

It's funny how people get mesmerzied by the number.

Yeah with the $5 PSA specials that run from time to time, it'd be a cheap conversion. This in turn could push up the market for BGS 9.5 9s and make them not as bad of hit - if you receive one that is, which would level things out a bit.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Topnotchsy said:
This is ridiculous. This autograph is as nice as 90% of them, yet the 9.5 with a 9 auto went for around half what they usually get:

:lol:

this is the exact auction i was expecting to see based on this thread title.

BGS 9.5 with 10 auto of that card were up to $200+ just a few weeks ago (I think you were one of the sellers, Topsy). $76 is a STEAL with this in mind.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
200lbhockeyplayer said:
brouthercard said:
Does that mean an "11" auto grade would get you even more money? :lol:
Of course, but currently, NGS (Nigel's Grading Service) is the only one offering the possibility of 11 grades. Then again, their legendary "none more black" slabs make seeing the actual card very difficult.

Genius!

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Jeff N. said:
The seller having 45 FB doesn't help the BGS version.

I guess I don't understand why feedback is such a big deal to buyers. Buyers basically run eBay-if they don't get their item, you file a claim and you get your money back.

When I bid, I don't ever pay attention to the number of feedback for a seller. Do most of you guys not bid if a seller has low feedback?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
rehmus said:
Topnotchsy said:

BGS 9.5 with 10 auto of that card were up to $200+ just a few weeks ago (I think you were one of the sellers, Topsy). $76 is a STEAL with this in mind.
If I had known it would end close to $76 I would have placed a bid. I agree, that price is a steal and the card should easily transfer to a PSA 10.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
rehmus said:
Topnotchsy said:

If I had known it would end close to $76 I would have placed a bid. I agree, that price is a steal and the card should easily transfer to a PSA 10.

wow so it sold for 30%ish percent of what it was just a couple weeks ago, that is insane.

Members online

Latest posts