Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

American Express Takes On PayPal in Online Payments War

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... s_war.html

could this be what finally allows people to send an receive money for ebay auctions to a place other then paypal.
I hate paypal as much as everyone else an would love for them to finally have a big market competition. Yes i know google is also trying to get into the ring an actually have had there only online payment account for a year or 2. But will we finally see a move to using other forms of payment on ebay.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Exposfan said:
The only problem with it, and I may be wrong, but couldn't Ebay say, its Paypal or the highway to its buyers and sellers?

They could and then the sellers and buyers will go elsewhere.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Philip J. Fry said:
Exposfan said:
The only problem with it, and I may be wrong, but couldn't Ebay say, its Paypal or the highway to its buyers and sellers?

They could and then the sellers and buyers will go elsewhere.

But what is the other alternative? People can hate eBay(like I do), but honestly there is nowhere even close to a stiff competitor.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Sellers today can still accept forms of payment other than PayPal like credit cards, checks and money orders, I'm sure sellers could use AMEX as well.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
Sellers today can still accept forms of payment other than PayPal like credit cards, checks and money orders, I'm sure sellers could use AMEX as well.

Yeah, you can but Ebay won't allow you to advertise it in you listing. You can no longer only accept check or money order.

Paypal is really the only payment option directly linked with Ebay. It would be nice to have two options to use directly through Ebay. This way buyers and sellers could gang up and boycott one payment option (Paypal) and try to force them to lower fees.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Crewfan82 said:

Yeah, you can but Ebay won't allow you to advertise it in you listing. You can no longer only accept check or money order.

Paypal is really the only payment option directly linked with Ebay. It would be nice to have two options to use directly through Ebay. This way buyers and sellers could gang up and boycott one payment option (Paypal) and try to force them to lower fees.

Why would ebay and paypal ever allow that? Paypal is the only form of payment you will ever see directly linked through ebay.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:

Why would ebay and paypal ever allow that? Paypal is the only form of payment you will ever see directly linked through ebay.

You never know what can happen. I not saying it will or would. I am saying it would be nice if ithappened.

What is stopping Ebay from taking on another payment option? Nothing. What would Paypal do, leave Ebay, if they brought on another payment provider? No. It is just a guess, but I wouldn't be supprised if Ebay sales account for around 50% of all Paypal transactions. It could only boost Ebay's image with buyers and sellers and we all know Ebay only cares about making money and not relationships. Probably will never happen, but Paypal is the only one who could lose if Ebay took on another directly linked Payment provider.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Crewfan82 said:
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:

You never know what can happen. I not saying it will or would. I am saying it would be nice if ithappened.

What is stopping Ebay from taking on another payment option? Nothing. What would Paypal do, leave Ebay, if they brought on another payment provider? No. It is just a guess, but I wouldn't be supprised if Ebay sales account for around 50% of all Paypal transactions. It could only boost Ebay's image with buyers and sellers and we all know Ebay only cares about making money and not relationships. Probably will never happen, but Paypal is the only one who could lose if Ebay took on another directly linked Payment provider.

This would all make sense except: Paypal is owned by ebay. This isn't even a discussion. Ebay would never hurt their own profitability by allowing another online payment option.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:

This would all make sense except: Paypal is owned by ebay. This isn't even a discussion. Ebay would never hurt their own profitability by allowing another online payment option.

This all reminds me of Windows and the integration of Internet Explorer years ago. I smell a lawsuit.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:
JVC said:
Crewfan82 said:

I don't know how the hell I didn't know this. This makes me hate Ebay and Paypal even more. :evil: I guess you learn something new every day.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I paid for a card on eBay about 8 months ago with my paypal account to some other payment service and it said the seller only took payment this way. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Haven't seen it sense, so maybe eBay nixed that too.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
This all reminds me of Windows and the integration of Internet Explorer years ago. I smell a lawsuit.

I wonder if you could do lawsuit that would establish that eBay has 90%+ or whatever of the online auction business and then get a judge to state that eBay can't make the calls on what payments are accepted, giving Google and AMEX a chance to be used for payments on ebay.

The easiest way to get accepted on eBay probably is for Google or AMEX or whoever to sign a pact with eBay to pay eBay some percentage of every payment that is made from their online payment services. I suppose eBay only approved a few other non-paypal payment methods because they get a cut.

Members online

Latest posts