Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The most underrated game-used of all-time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Now, I've never been a huge game-used guy and I know game-used is overproduced and largely dead, but for me, there's one type of game-used card that I think is way undervalued, and that's the game-used glove card. Think about it, a glove is as close to the action as you can get (only rivaled by the bat) and the size means that you can get a very limited number of swatches per GU glove. Throw in the fact that in general GU gloves are much rarer than other game-used (especially with vintage) and IMO it's a perfect storm.

Alas, the prices on these cards for the most part (The Mays/Wertz is an obvious exception) often sell for very reasonable prices when they turn up. Recently I've picked up a few:

(I have a Winfield incoming.)
hpqscan0018.jpg

Don't know if this is a glove card. I've seen it advertised as such, and the material looks like it could be, but I've heard otherwise and the card gives no indication:

hpqscan0021.jpg

Love this card and am looking for more copies if anyone has any:
hpqscan0019.jpg
hpqscan0020.jpg

And finally:

hpqscan0003.jpg

Call me a fan...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I agree. Glove cards are my favorite kinds, next to barrels and knobs. They are usually unique in at least some small way with distinctive texture or stitching. I have the Gold Glove Grove Glove (say that 10 times fast) and it's a cornerstone of my HOF game-used collection.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I agree! I've got a handful of those Leather Bound and Leather of Distinction cards. I like 'em so much that if I saw 10 more today, I'd try to get every one!

And I agree that the other obvious greats are the bat knobs and barrels, but the gloves are special for sure. Stitching/lacing holes, stains, wrinkles, writing, different colors... all sooooooooo great.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
GU glove are hard to come by for sure. Batting helmets are not too often seen either. I really really like this set, only 12 players, each numbered to 100.
$(KGrHqR,!j!E1NPEVRk1BNYKkUnrLQ~~0_1.jpg

Very few other sets also have helmets. Abs Mem TOTT?

Worthpoint... :eek:

1_8d16afa95897798b738a55e7ee60d8ab.jpg

cubuffs13

Mar 24, 2010
Provo, UT
nevermore said:
GU glove are hard to come by for sure. Batting helmets are not too often seen either. I really really like this set, only 12 players, each numbered to 100.

Love the Hard Hat helmets.

leafhelmet.jpg

Only helmet card Arod has as far as i know since he wan't in ToTT from 05 on.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
cubuffs13 said:
nevermore said:

Love the Hard Hat helmets.

leafhelmet.jpg

Only helmet card Arod has as far as i know since he wan't in ToTT from 05 on.

Mine looks like its been through a war. Sorry I don't have an individual scan.

10-04-2008122414am2.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Yeesh, we are talking glove cards here, not hard hats... :)

Those cards are pretty sweet, though I'll take the gloves which actually have a function in the playing of the game over the helmets (but I'd be lying if I said I did not check to see if any were on. :) )

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
Batting Gloves yield around 25 7/8" by 7/8" swatches per glove and 35-45 5/8" by 7/8" swatches. Fielding Gloves generally yield 250-300 7/8" by 7/8" swatches and 350-450 5/8" by 7/8" swatches.

You don't see a lot of either one in today's products because the per swatch cost is usually 5X to 10X the cost of a jersey swatch. The batting helmet cards from 2003 Leaf was a one-off insert set we did while I was there because we wanted to test the yield on batting helmets. The larger swatch on those cards killed the overall yield of the helmet. Because of the curve of the helmets, significant amounts of each helmet could not be used in that set.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
nevermore said:

quote]

I had the whole set at one time. Awesome cards that I really loved.
This is the only one I have left

gwynnhelmet.jpg

tehchamp

Feb 14, 2011
I'd imagine helmet cards wouldn't be cost effective.

I love batting gloves and fielding gloves though. I have an ARod Mariners batting glove card that is multicolored, its awesome to me. One of the few cards to me worth more than the "Book value".

I'd also imagine it would be extremely difficult to obtain fielding gloves since guys can use one glove for most of their career. I know when I played baseball I had one glove that I loved, and used that pretty much for my last 3 years of baseball.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
The Mays/Wertz is an awesome card.

I didn't know a Left Grove like that existed - that's a really neat card.

There is a Jimmie Foxx Timelines glove card that I always thought would be sweet but it rarely shows up.

Even still, unless it is an older player like Mays or Grove, there are plentiful amounts of gloves out there to be had and made into cards.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
02 Tribute Pastime Patches
Sales are amazing when the cards come up

[ebay:uuk4gk9p]220756236505[/ebay:uuk4gk9p]

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Juddy said:
Batting Gloves yield around 25 7/8" by 7/8" swatches per glove and 35-45 5/8" by 7/8" swatches. Fielding Gloves generally yield 250-300 7/8" by 7/8" swatches and 350-450 5/8" by 7/8" swatches.

You don't see a lot of either one in today's products because the per swatch cost is usually 5X to 10X the cost of a jersey swatch. The batting helmet cards from 2003 Leaf was a one-off insert set we did while I was there because we wanted to test the yield on batting helmets. The larger swatch on those cards killed the overall yield of the helmet. Because of the curve of the helmets, significant amounts of each helmet could not be used in that set.
Thanks for the info, this is great stuff!!

Members online