Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Had to happen eventually - Received "item not as described"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hey all,

So after a long run of not having to deal with problem buyers, I received the following message:

"Hi, I received the card today and noticed a scratch on the surface and a damaged corner. What kind of return policy do you have?"

I can say with 100% confidence that the card in question had NO obvious flaws - in other words, if anything the only thing he could have a problem with is that it night not grade a BGS 9.5. I listed offering a quantity of (5) of these, showed a picture of each of the (5) being offered but made no mention of which one the winner would receive and nothing related to condition other than "the buyer will receive one of the cards pictured". The item was purchased minutes after it was listed and the buyer never asked me any questions.

I suppose there's the possibility that something happened during shipping (HIGHLY unlikely given how I ship), but what's the play here? Am I screwed and have to refund his money? I really don't think I should have to in this instance but at the same time my feedback is 100% and my DSR's are sky high right now and I have all sorts of perks so I don't want to risk my reputation on this guy. Do I have ANY leverage at all if I try and fight it or am I better of just offering the refund?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
With the way disputes are set up and the perks that sellers receive for having high DSRs, you are better off just refunding upon receipt of the card.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
its probably a prospector with a bogus claim. you will have to refund payment as the buyer has all of the power now.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
username have "love" in it, by any chance? email sounds just like what ive gotten a while back...almost word for word

yeah, as others have stated, you cant win this one...

dave

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Jays_Cards said:
With the way disputes are set up and the perks that sellers receive for having high DSRs, you are better off just refunding upon receipt of the card.

That's what I figured, stupid clowns...

abeabe said:
Offer a partial refund, see how that works.

Won't do this in principle, it's the biggest BS ever. If he wants a full refund I'll issue it upon receipt of the card. As I said, I know everyone else would be happy with this copy.

blazers091 said:
its probably a prospector with a bogus claim. you will have to refund payment as the buyer has all of the power now.

No question that's the case, or he thinks he overpaid and has immediate buyer's remorse. The guy paid on Monday and got the card today, if that isn't service and fast shipping I don't know what is!

daveyou said:
username have "love" in it, by any chance? email sounds just like what ive gotten a while back...almost word for word

yeah, as others have stated, you cant win this one...

dave

Not love, "zone"... I'll post the full user name at the end once I have a chance to inspect the card again. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm verrrrry skeptical.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Talked with the guy, he seems nice enough and didn't try to give me a hard time or extort me. I'm refunding his money in full upon receipt of card.

I guess sometimes it pays to be level-headed :D

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
So as a seller here is the crappy thing......you're not protected, at all. I say this because I work for a credit card company. I work in merchant services and handle disputes for the merchants, I see chargebacks and merchant debits EVERY day for this issue, the buyer is protected and the seller is not AT ALL. I think it's crap, i've been on both ends as a seller and as a buyer and I think the process is not fair PERIOD.

Latest posts