Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

To those of you who say Chrome is King

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
NECpilgrims8 said:
Really hard to base those two sales....Apples to Oranges (No pun).

Oh, I understand. Just picked the Orange because it was numbered to /25.

Just showing that some of the other cards out there still hold value, even after Chrome is released.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
If you can find a completed orange bgs 9.5 auction, it would be more compelling for your case.

And by the way, it's not as simple as chrome is king.

It's on-card autograph with first time card appearance that makes chrome king.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
brouthercard said:
If you can find a completed orange bgs 9.5 auction, it would be more compelling for your case.

Hypothetically, if there was one - do you think it would double the value of the raw? That would still make it only a $1500 card (in this case).

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Montero never made the Yankee roster in 2008, that's a negative for one of the cards right there :)

On-card vs. sticker too.

But BIN sales don't mean as much as straight auctions anyway.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The Contenders have maintained their value in a way that has absolutely shocked me. Kudos to those who bought in.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
The Contenders have maintained their value in a way that has absolutely shocked me. Kudos to those who bought in.

I think the SP and print run announcement helps it a lot.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think it's hard to use this as an example. This is essentially THE card to own from Contenders, and graded 9.5 makes this one of the top five or ten individual cards (meaning, maybe a couple 1/1s are ahead of it and it is even with other Montero 9.5s) that came from the product.

The Chrome Orange is nice, but it isn't even his best parallel from the product, and there were plenty of other top notch prospects from the product as well, making the Orange Montero maybe only one of the top 50 or top 100 best cards in the product (behind red refs and Superfractors of Montero, Stanton, Posey, etc., GRADED orange refs of those players, and then even with other raw orange refs of Montero and probably the other two players as well).

I think it's a big deal to own THE card from a product, especially when the player you're buying only has 39 cards autographed in the product. It's a big deal for a lot of player collectors to own one of each of their player's rookie autos, and with only 39 out there, these will be a tough find in the coming future.

Reading over everything I just wrote, I bet most people won't even understand what I'm saying :lol: Sorry for the poor explanation of thoughts, although I don't know how else to say it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I think it's hard to use this as an example. This is essentially THE card to own from Contenders, and graded 9.5 makes this one of the top five or ten individual cards (meaning, maybe a couple 1/1s are ahead of it and it is even with other Montero 9.5s) that came from the product.

The Chrome Orange is nice, but it isn't even his best parallel from the product, and there were plenty of other top notch prospects from the product as well, making the Orange Montero maybe only one of the top 50 or top 100 best cards in the product (behind red refs and Superfractors of Montero, Stanton, Posey, etc., GRADED orange refs of those players, and then even with other raw orange refs of Montero and probably the other two players as well).

I think it's a big deal to own THE card from a product, especially when the player you're buying only has 39 cards autographed in the product. It's a big deal for a lot of player collectors to own one of each of their player's rookie autos, and with only 39 out there, these will be a tough find in the coming future.

Reading over everything I just wrote, I bet most people won't even understand what I'm saying :lol: Sorry for the poor explanation of thoughts, although I don't know how else to say it.
Seems to make sense to me, though I am not sure I agree that other big names in the set are a negative. In fact I think it may be a positive as people focus on that years set. I do agree that the fact there are better parallels in Chrome hurt it. The fact that the Contenders /39 is the base RC Auto and not a parallel may also play a roll

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Topnotchsy said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Seems to make sense to me, though I am not sure I agree that other big names in the set are a negative. In fact I think it may be a positive as people focus on that years set. I do agree that the fact there are better parallels in Chrome hurt it. The fact that the Contenders /39 is the base RC Auto and not a parallel may also play a roll

I agree 100%. :!:

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
montero must have a threads auto from 2008 /25 and maybe even /10 as others do.
like to see what one of those would get.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
brouthercard said:
Topnotchsy said:

I think the SP and print run announcement helps it a lot.
Ding ding ding. Chrome is king, Those cards are damn rare /39.

Members online

Latest posts