Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thome that predictable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just watching the Twins-Jays game and for Jim Thome's first at-bat the Jays put a shift on him that I don't think I have ever seen. They had the 1B (Lind) in the usual position, the 2B (Hill) in shallow right, the 3B (Nix) at the usual 2B position, the SS (Escobar) at the usual position, and a pretty sizeable hole down the left field line. Thome then lined out to Nix. At the major league level, can't players hit the ball a little better than that, even if they are pull hitters?

- Rod

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
rebelpawn said:
Same thing with David Ortiz. It seems they are too proud to change
Was going to mention Ortiz as well. It can be frustrating when all they have to do is hit it to the opposite field for a guarenteed base hit and they end up pulling it into the shift.

Even though yesterday was pretty nice seeing him crush it right over the wall, In April I may add. :D

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
olerud363 said:
At the major league level, can't players hit the ball a little better than that, even if they are pull hitters?

- Rod

Most can, but the idea is that the pitcher has this shift in mind, and pitches accordingly. (keeps the ball inside so he has to pull it to make contact.)

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
One of the first players they ever used the shift on was Ted Williams. Want to complain about his hitting ability?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
One of the first players they ever used the shift on was Ted Williams. Want to complain about his hitting ability?
The only way they could stop him from getting hits was to add 4 fielders :lol:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I hadn't considered that the pitchers would be pitching the hitter to pull into the defensive alignment, so the hitter wouldn't get anything that he could drive the other way through a hole. The pull hitters mentioned here, namely Ortiz, Thome, and Ted Williams, also were power hitters. I wonder would it make a difference to put play the defense straight up and just pitch them outside? That way you wouldn't be pitching into their wheelhouse, but I guess the pitcher would really have to be able to paint the outside corners or get the hitter to chase.

What started out just as a comment about a weird defensive alignment in today's Jays-Twins game (i.e. the 3B playing in the 2B position) as got me thinking a little more about hitting. Interesting!

Thanks!

- Rod

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I saw an interview with Ryan Howard last year where he said Barry Bonds once told him not to be discouraged by the shift because if you hit a line drive and it happens to be right at the shift, how can you be upset because you've done your job.

Wrong. Hit the ball into the hole and get on base. That's your job. Exploiting the shift by hitting into the holes a couple times will keep the other team honest and force them to play normal defensive alignment anyway.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Being a lefty, I've learned how to hit against the shift in softball. Pull the first pitch foul down the first base line, get the shortstop to move closer towards second, then slap the next pitch right where the shortstop was for an easy base hit. Being over 40, you have to use tricks like that.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Why not bunt the ball up the 3B line, force the pitcher to make a nice play to get you out. Do that enough and the other team will have to play you honest.

Jan 15, 2009
ronfromfresno said:
Why not bunt the ball up the 3B line, force the pitcher to make a nice play to get you out. Do that enough and the other team will have to play you honest.
They can't run that fast.....

Members online

Latest posts