Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you deal with someone in denial about...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
...their collection?

I was at the show today, and one of the dealers is one I know very well. I don't know the story, but he owned a shop here about 20 years ago or so. He randomly stopped, and then recently got into it with setting up a small shop that ran for 4 months, and setting up at today's show.

Talking to him today, he is relatively new to the whole "autograph" thing. He was awed at how "1,000 people in America can OWN this autographed card, and nobody else!" He obviously feels as though his stash of cards is still worth something. When pricing this stuff, he goes into the whole "I checked online and priced it the same, but you don't have to pay shipping!" But, compared to DA, even with shipping, I am getting a steal compared to his prices. I assume he didn't check completed auctions, but rather set the Auctions/BIN to price=highest first and took the highest listing for one box of cards...

Annoying to say the least. He is more worried about making up money he wasted in the 90's than moving inventory, which he has a LOT of. He overcharges for his "good" cards (scrubby autographs).

It's hard to tell him that cards #/1000 are nothing today, that cards #/500 are nothing today. That autographs are actually fairly common and his wax hoard is 99% crap.

Personally, I think he knows that his stuff is worthless, and is just trying to push it twards un-knowing collectors, but sometimes it seems that he truely doesn't know and would take it too personally if I told him his stuff is junk.

There is one twist. He is best friends with my grandpa, and knows my dad fairly well as well as a couple of my friends, so it isn't like I can just stop seeing him.

How do you deal with these people?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
loftlife said:
Move and get a different hobby... ;)

Weeeeell, I would LOVE to move, but I kinda like ma hobby :D

I have decided to stop buying from him actually. I did hit some nicer stuff in his wax, but the odds of getting anything more are outrageous.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
at your age it is very wise to move along. at my age, i would tell him to wake up and smell the coffee, and stop watching reruns of fantasy island!

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Just smile and say "that's nice", and move along. When pressed, cornered, or anything along those line, be nice but honest, and if all else fails, break out the "if I thought they were so great, or thought the price was so good, don't you think I'd have made an offer by now?" line. That one usually stops people in their tracks and makes them rethink things.

Members online

Latest posts