Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So many RETAIL breaks... with a good # of people getting HIT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
I noticed recently that many FCBers are posting breaks of their retail packs/blasters and getting decent hits. Wanted to see if you guys are dedicated to retail breaks or do you hop in between hobby and retail purchases?

I personally can't wait for 2011 Bowman, gonna grab a stash of rack packs from my Walmart/Target center. :cool:

TenaciousJDD

I think you are perhaps being mislead by the retail breaks you see posted here. When opening a few packs or a blaster it's really only worth posting a break when the product is brand new and people haven't seen it yet or if you hit something nice. You are not seeing the majority of retail that gets opened by members here because generally there isn't much to show off. There are good cards to be pulled out of retail packs to be sure, but if you are basing your expectations on what you see people post here you will be disappointed.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
TenaciousJDD said:
I think you are perhaps being mislead by the retail breaks you see posted here. When opening a few packs or a blaster it's really only worth posting a break when the product is brand new and people haven't seen it yet or if you hit something nice. You are not seeing the majority of retail that gets opened by members here because generally there isn't much to show off. There are good cards to be pulled out of retail packs to be sure, but if you are basing your expectations on what you see people post here you will be disappointed.

This

I have opened maybe 10 or so blasters this year and only posted about the one I hit the Arod SSP in. The rest were not worth my time mentioning.

Hoominaga

Sep 5, 2010
I did 7 Topps Heritage double packs from Walmart yesterday. The "hits" were a Clayton Kershaw GU, Edwin Jackson /1962, Russell Martin /562. I think there were also 3-4 SPs.

sbfinley

Mar 23, 2011
Recently it seems like retail blasters, especially right after a product first hits shelves, have held much better hits for me. It has been my assumption that the card companies, Topps especially, have been adding better hits earlier in the product run to entice collectors to purchase more.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
sbfinley said:
Recently it seems like retail blasters, especially right after a product first hits shelves, have held much better hits for me. It has been my assumption that the card companies, Topps especially, have been adding better hits earlier in the product run to entice collectors to purchase more.

Would make sense from a business point of view.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
TenaciousJDD said:

Unless your me, the retail king who posts all blown money ventures.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I'm a dedicated retail buster. Hobby breaks for me usually come once or twice a year (one or two boxes each time), and I rarely buy singles.

Plus, it doesn't help the case that I work at Wal-Mart, so the card aisle is always appealing. I can spend anywhere from $0-40 per month on retail. Some months none, or if I'm hooked to a product I might open 2-3 blasters max of it.

Three of my best pulls came from retail:

1. 2003 Fleer Genuine Insider Sammy Sosa GU - my first GU of Sosa, which led to my player collection
2. 2005 Topps Chrome Update Matt Garza FY refractor AU /500
3. 2006 Topps Update HRH Barry Bonds #600 on-card autograph 5/5 (my best pull ever)