Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

rendon or cole #1, who will it be? who should it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
the gap is narrowing between the two, with many mocks now placing cole going first overall to the Pirates. What do you think will happen?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Still two months from the draft, and anything could happen.

At present though, Cole would likely be # 1.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
Yea, as a Pirates fan, its fun to imagine both alternatives...

with Rendon an offense of
c. t. sanchez
1b. P. Alvarez
2B. N. Walker
ss. ?
3S. A. Rendon
LF. J. Tabata
CF. S. Marte (they say hes a better fielder than mccutch, but cutch could play cf)
RF A. McCutchen

or a staff in 2014 OR 15 of
1. Gerrit Cole
2. Jameson Taillon
3. Stetson Allie
4. Luis Herdia
5. Bryan Morris (or Rudy Owens, or von Rosenberg, Cain, etc..)

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Rich (Philly): John, With the rise of Cole lately are the M's the biggest winner in the draft ( Get to take whoever Pitt Passes on)?

John Manuel: Not sure why it would be the rise of Cole "lately." Did you guys not watch him in Omaha last year? It was on national TV, you know. I saw him there and in the summer for Team USA; he was a monster then, pretty much the same guy now, and he, not Rendon, was a first-rounder out of HS. Also, he didn't last 7 IP in his last start. Not hating on Cole in any way, just saying, we had him 2 on the board coming into the year, and frankly I think he's still 2. You could even argue he's not the best pitcher on his own team; check Bauer's stats out, and his stuff is legit. I'd take Cole over Bauer, and I know that's the industry consensus, but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Bauer wound up having the better career. He's just too unconventional (and too small) to be the consensus guy. To get to your question, this is a good year to pick in the top 10-15, because you would feel good that you'd have a shot at a big-time talent. Now you just have to pay for him

^^^
I feel the exact same way. A lot of this Cole talk stems from him having exponentially more cards available now compared to last year, meaning more people have a vested interest, and more people are pumping him up. I remember posting several "Cole is on ESPN tonight" last year, only to have them go with minimal replies...because nobody owned his cards. I would argue Cole of last year was greater than this year so far, and last year's Cole in the super regionals was disappointing for me. Rendon's bat is too good to pass up. I actually hope Cole goes #1 because that means he will be the poster child for all of Topps 2012 products, having a handful of autos spread through different products while Rendon would have a great shot at having a regular, non SP'd 2011 Draft Auto. So yeah, root for Cole.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Ive said for months
1. Cole
2. Rendon
3. Purke

I'll stick with that.

Seattle would love rendon, look at the infield in the system of 24 and under

1b Smoak
2b Ackley
SS Nick Franklin
3b Rendon

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
frzg said:
Ive said for months
1. Cole
2. Rendon
3. Purke

I'll stick with that.

1b Smoak
2b Ackley
SS Nick Franklin
3b Rendon

I'm not sure Purke can make it back to #3, he has definitely been one of the biggest "slippers" over the past 2 months.

But I agree with Cole #1, Rendon #2

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

1b Smoak
2b Ackley
SS Nick Franklin
3b Rendon[/quote]

That would be an INCREDIBLE infield...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Nathan Rode - @bahighschool RHP Dylan Bundy now 5-0 w/ 66 Ks in 30 IP. Scout recently told me he'd be first HS arm off the board, maybe as high as 3rd overall #mlbdraft

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
The Pirates have only commented positively on Cole so far as I can find. They have not commented on Rendon other than to say he was an interesting player. I would be shocked if they took a pitcher this year just because their system is devoid of any talented infielders.

If they hadn't screwed up the Sano deal I think they would have been much more inclined to go with a pitcher again.

That being said NH has done a good job going after the best talent they think is on the board so we will see.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Jaypers said:
Nathan Rode - @bahighschool RHP Dylan Bundy now 5-0 w/ 66 Ks in 30 IP. Scout recently told me he'd be first HS arm off the board, maybe as high as 3rd overall #mlbdraft
Bundy was always high on the 2011 radar, but the kid looks like a beast so far this season.

nymets4581

Nov 28, 2010
bballcardkid said:
Rich (Philly): John, With the rise of Cole lately are the M's the biggest winner in the draft ( Get to take whoever Pitt Passes on)?

I'd take Cole over Bauer, and I know that's the industry consensus, but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Bauer wound up having the better career. He's just too unconventional (and too small) to be the consensus guy. To get to your question, this is a good year to pick in the top 10-15, because you would feel good that you'd have a shot at a big-time talent. Now you just have to pay for him

I presume its talking about Bauer here, because Cole is 6-4, 220.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Jaypers said:

I just can't buy it. Not in this draft. Too many college pitchers have been decent if not stellar (Gray, Hultzen, Jungmann).

nymets4581

Nov 28, 2010
sheetskout said:
Jaypers said:

I just can't buy it. Not in this draft. Too many college pitchers have been decent if not stellar (Gray, Hultzen, Jungmann).

Not to mention Purke and the wide variety of solid hitters available too (Starling, Springer, etc). But I think first high school arm for Bundy is pretty reasonable. Not sure who else would challenge him for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts