Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Collection of Rick Porcello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
My main interest in the hobby is prospecting, but I also collect on the side. In honor of his first start of the season tomorrow, I spent some time today scanning the majority of my Rick Porcello player collection and I wanted to share them with you.

I started buying Porcello cards strictly as investment in 2008 and made out quite well when he made the Tigers out of Spring Training in 2009. I sold off most of my investment, most notably the Porcello Donruss Elite Black Status Auto 1/1 for $1800. His prices were up and down over the course of the year so I decided to hold the few cards I had left.

Those cards ended up being the springboard to my only true player collection. Flash-forward to today and my collection has expanded into something I am proud of.

Porcello is my favorite player for four reasons:

1. He plays for my team, the Tigers
2. He pitches, like I did when I played
3. He is the first player that I will have tracked regularly for his entire career from the Minors through the Hall of Fame ( ;) )
4. He was my most successful investment and made me four-figure profit

These things make it easy for me to cheer for him and make him an obvious choice as a player I wanted to collect. I focus specifically on his 2008 and 2009 stuff thanks to my infatuation with rookie cards. I also think this gives my collection the best chance to maintain (or appreciate in) value over time. I also do this because it gives my collection focus.

There are a few holes in my collection, some of which will unfortunately likely never be filled (superfractors, for example), but I am pleased with my progress and happily offer up scans for your viewing pleasure:

(I have quite a few Bowman Base/Gold/Chrome but only included one of each)
Porcello1-1.jpg

A Ref 9.5 and Blue Ref 9.5 are on their way back from BGS to complete this Gem Mint mini rainbow:
Porcello2.jpg

My two favorite cards
Porcello3.jpg

Sterlings
Porcello4.jpg

09 Topps and Topps Chrome RC Logos
Porcello6.jpg

Finest Redemption rainbow
Porcello7.jpg

09 Bowman Chromes
Porcello8.jpg

Threads Auto on top is /300, Threads Auto on bottom is /25, Sweet Spot is the SP version /65
Porcello10-1.jpg

Couple randoms including two gifts (Tribute Auto and 2010 TC Gold)
Porcello11.jpg

2009 Triple Threads Rainbow. Barely missed out on the wood, haven't ever seen the other non-plate 1/1.
PorcelloTTTrainbow-1.jpg

The only two 1/1s in my collection. The sketch was done by FCB’s WoundedDuck.
Porcello12.jpg

The card that got it all started. I used to have 16, sold down to 5 and then bought 3 more when price dropped
Porcello13.jpg

My favorite autograph cards
Porcello14.jpg

Thanks for looking. If you ever have any 08 or 09 Porcellos that you want to move, shoot me a PM.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Nice stuff! I have high hopes for him and have had him stashed in my keeper league for 2+ years now.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
theplasticman said:
Nice stuff! I have high hopes for him and have had him stashed in my keeper league for 2+ years now.
Thanks. I really think he is going to have a breakout year. His slider lacked consistency last year, which made him predictable and therefore hittable. This year it's looking much sharper and seems like it's going to be an actual out pitch rather than just a "show me" offering, and I think that'll make a huge difference for him in both strikeouts and the batting average against.

CubsWSchamps said:
Sweet collection! Have you ever tried to get any Gu jerseys or anythgin?
I haven't, I'd love to get a gamer and have it framed but I'm not sure where I'd find something like that. Don't they sell them on MLB.com sometimes? I have considered buying a ball but I'd rather get him to autograph one in person at a game.

sheetskout said:
I'm with you! I still believe Porcello will be an elite pitcher in the not-so-far future.
This could be a big year for him. Did you see that Jim Leyland compared him to Maddux and Glavine? He basically said those guys struggled more than Porcello at the beginning of their careers, but they were students of the game the same way Porcello is and eventually figured things out and went on to pitch Hall of Fame careers. Not sure I agree with that comparison just yet, but it sure is one hell of a compliment.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
:D

porcello.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Pinbreaker said:
:D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/pinbreaker/Topps/Triple%20Threads/porcello.jpg[/img[/quote]

AHHH, you just reminded me of my 09 TTT rainbow that I completely forgot to include. Original post has been edited to include these.

I love the look of those 2010 TTTs but I ultimately opted against them to stick to my focus on rookies.

Members online

Latest posts