Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Fleer Bill Ripken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Any of you guys have any of the rare variations of this card?

Just curious I was thinking about picking up a couple of the f*ck face versions as well as hunting down some of the variations. I miss having those as a kid.

I like to see if any of you have a whiteout or white scribble version of them or if any of you guys have a huge stash of any variation.

jp1216

Aug 9, 2012
Just signed up for FCB. Donovan (MartinFF) and I started that website years ago. Needs a facelift. If anyone has ideas, questions, information, rare items etc - please contact me through the website anytime.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Welcome to the site Jon!

Be careful when buying a whiteout. Couple fakes out there.
Wait for a "nice" price on a FF. There were tons made of that version.

Happy Hunting.

jp1216

Aug 9, 2012
^^Best card friend^^

"I have a scribbled out card - is that worth anything?"

I owe so much to Donovan.... Especially the hole in my wallet.

Now go away...:D

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
7626721206_47262a3aa1.jpg

jp1216

Aug 9, 2012
^^Nice work^^

One can only dream. I was able to acquire a game used '88 bat w/ "BR" on the knob (from a game a month before that photo was taken). Probably as close as I'll come to the real thing. Probably sitting in a landfill somewhere....

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I've bought one FF card since. Might get a couple more... I've been hearing more and more on the whiteout fakes lately. Might go for a Randy Johnson Marlboro as well.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Those were the days. One of the key things I remember from that card (other than the high prices) is how the majority of dealers put the sticker with the price over the bat knob as not to offend anyone.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I have always wondered why the Ripken is referred to as the "Rick Face" error. I own the card and it clear as day says F*** Face. If somebody had never seen the card and heard it referred to as "Rick Face", they'd think the bat knob said D*** Face on it (that's what I thought when I was a kid in 1989 and hadn't seen one yet). It should be called Puck Face, Luck Face, or Duck Face.

Anyways, it's one of the must famous cards of all time and anybody who was collecting back then and is still collecting now should have one in their collection.
Richard

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Unsure why the word "Rick" was used, but it was the term coined by Beckett in 1989 to keep it kid friendly when referring to the card. Maybe Rick, Richard, Dick....

I have always wondered why the Ripken is referred to as the "Rick Face" error. I own the card and it clear as day says F*** Face. If somebody had never seen the card and heard it referred to as "Rick Face", they'd think the bat knob said D*** Face on it (that's what I thought when I was a kid in 1989 and hadn't seen one yet). It should be called Puck Face, Luck Face, or Duck Face.

Anyways, it's one of the must famous cards of all time and anybody who was collecting back then and is still collecting now should have one in their collection.
Richard

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Unsure why the word "Rick" was used, but it was the term coined by Beckett in 1989 to keep it kid friendly when referring to the card. Maybe Rick, Richard, Dick....

From what I remember, you are correct. It was a term Beckett used to refer to the error without having to say XXXX. On a side note, I recall Billy stating that this was actually a photoshop job by FLEER and never did he have a bat knob with such things written on it. To that end, I do not believe he would sign it..

Latest posts