Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I am so sick of "Pitch Counts"!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
After all these years, I am finding myself starting to agree with my dad. I can't believe how much babying has been going on in the last 10 years with pitchers and their stupid pitch counts.

I know there is always an excuse...oh they need to protect their investment, it affects his conditioning, blah blah blah.

If a pitcher is having an excellent game, let him keep pitching until he starts to get into trouble or the manager can see that his pitcher is starting to wear down. Also, what's the point of middle relief if you can't even go out for ONE inning without giving up a run? I mean heck, your starter did a great job through multiple innings without doing so, why can't relief do it? Did their arms get too tired after throwing to one batter?

I never thought I would admit to it, but Baseball is really becoming a league of overpaid babies.

Signed,

Pissed off Brewers Fan!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Oh yeah also...when a pitcher is having a very good start, they finish the 8th inning with :::gasp::: 100+ pitches....of course they can't go out for the 9th because the damned closer has to get the save. ::facepalm::

One more thought, how can a closer still get credited for a save if they give up 2+ runs? :?

RedsFan2993

Jul 14, 2010
scotty21690 said:
Oh yeah also...when a pitcher is having a very good start, they finish the 8th inning with :::gasp::: 100+ pitches....of course they can't go out for the 9th because the damned closer has to get the save. ::facepalm::

One more thought, how can a closer still get credited for a save if they give up 2+ runs? :?

That's why the save is a overrated stat.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
RedsFan2993 said:
scotty21690 said:

Yes. Same with holds, but I suppose the middle relief pitcher needs a stat too.. :?

Jan 15, 2009
RedsFan2993 said:
scotty21690 said:

How many saves are of that kind if a guy is getting 40+ saves a year, probably not a lot...

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
scotty21690 said:

Thats why you want your closer to have a 1.80 ERA instead of a 3.90 ERA.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
GiantsSuperCollector said:
RedsFan2993 said:
scotty21690 said:

How many saves are of that kind if a guy is getting 40+ saves a year, probably not a lot...
Saves all depend on the offense....a closer on the Yankees is going to get more save opportunities (though I'll admit, Mo is the greatest RP of all time) than one on the Nationals, for example.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
scotty21690 said:
Saves all depend on the offense....a closer on the Yankees is going to get more save opportunities (though I'll admit, Mo is the greatest RP of all time) than one on the Nationals, for example.

Really, are you sure?

I'd have to guess that the Yankees have a lower percentage of close games (save opportunities) than lower ranked teams. Save opportunities aren't really a good thing, it means that you can't outscore your opponent by more than three runs. However no save opportunities can also mean that your team sucks and should be spending revenue sharing money on players and not wallet lining.

I may be wrong, but....

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Good rant. I understand wanting to protect athletes but it starts to affect the game after a while. The NFL and NHL are also this way with many of their protective rules instituted by their league offices.

I agree the game becomes dull when money becomes more important than competition.

prospectorgems said:
After all these years, I am finding myself starting to agree with my dad. I can't believe how much babying has been going on in the last 10 years with pitchers and their stupid pitch counts.

I know there is always an excuse...oh they need to protect their investment, it affects his conditioning, blah blah blah.

If a pitcher is having an excellent game, let him keep pitching until he starts to get into trouble or the manager can see that his pitcher is starting to wear down. Also, what's the point of middle relief if you can't even go out for ONE inning without giving up a run? I mean heck, your starter did a great job through multiple innings without doing so, why can't relief do it? Did their arms get too tired after throwing to one batter?

I never thought I would admit to it, but Baseball is really becoming a league of overpaid babies.

Signed,

Pissed off Brewers Fan!

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Everybody is missing the point. Everybody.

The game isn't the same as it was even in the early 90's when the average velocity on fastballs was likely much lower than it is now. The finesse pitcher that does not tax his arm has become a thing of the past. Pitching now is 100% effort and more about throwing through bats than around them. What really made this evident was all the young pitchers shredding ligaments in their arms due to the taxing amount of pitches they would throw during games. Even guys like Nolan Ryan used to pull back until the third strike and dial it up a few notches when a K was on the line.

It used to be that if you could throw the ball 95 MPH, you didn't need to rip your arm to pieces by slicing sliders across the zone. You could sit comfortably at 90-92 MPH and then dial it up if needed to hit 95 for the 3rd strike. Not anymore. Batters have improved at pitch recognition and everybody has gotten more athletic. Now all pitches are 100% effort and there are no counts when you can grove a ball into the zone and not expect it to get hit. If a pitcher throws 100 pitches in a game, then he threw them all at max effort. Back in the day, if a pitcher threw 100 pitches he probably was able to throw 40 of them at half speed. The game has changed.

Same thing with professional football and hockey. The speed of the game has increased SO MUCH with the speed of the players and the equipment improvements that it's ten times as dangerous as when we were kids. The bodies are getting faster and stronger than they should be and the brains are not evolving in terms of the ability to take all this damage and still function. Changes have to be made from era to era or else people start getting killed. Should we go back to leather football helmets because the players back then were so much tougher?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Vagrant said:

The game isn't the same as it was even in the early 90's when the average velocity on fastballs was likely much lower than it is now. The finesse pitcher that does not tax his arm has become a thing of the past. Pitching now is 100% effort and more about throwing through bats than around them. What really made this evident was all the young pitchers shredding ligaments in their arms due to the taxing amount of pitches they would throw during games. Even guys like Nolan Ryan used to pull back until the third strike and dial it up a few notches when a K was on the line.

It used to be that if you could throw the ball 95 MPH, you didn't need to rip your arm to pieces by slicing sliders across the zone. You could sit comfortably at 90-92 MPH and then dial it up if needed to hit 95 for the 3rd strike. Not anymore. Batters have improved at pitch recognition and everybody has gotten more athletic. Now all pitches are 100% effort and there are no counts when you can grove a ball into the zone and not expect it to get hit. If a pitcher throws 100 pitches in a game, then he threw them all at max effort. Back in the day, if a pitcher threw 100 pitches he probably was able to throw 40 of them at half speed. The game has changed.

Same thing with professional football and hockey. The speed of the game has increased SO MUCH with the speed of the players and the equipment improvements that it's ten times as dangerous as when we were kids. The bodies are getting faster and stronger than they should be and the brains are not evolving in terms of the ability to take all this damage and still function. Changes have to be made from era to era or else people start getting killed. Should we go back to leather football helmets because the players back then were so much tougher?

Sure, but whether or not this is true the end result is still the same -if a pitcher/player is doing well he shouldn't automatically be taken out. The pendulum seems to be swinging too far in the direction towards overprotection even with your great points taken into consideration, the game is negatively affected.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
what hurts the most is when your starter is rocking and they pull ya and then the closer looses it for you...

MrMal

Aug 28, 2010
Vagrant said:

Thanked. Perfect example is Dusty Baker's pitchers.

Members online

Latest posts