Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

someone please talk some sense into me, Topps Heritage BBall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
someone please talk some sense into me.....i am considering collecting the Topps Heritage Sets, of which i own zero as of this typing.

Looking to have the sets in sheets/binders.
not interested in inserts/chrome/etc. just the "set" #1 - whichever, SPs (not SSPs) included naturally, as they ARE part of "the set". like what Topps Heritage is replicating in the first place.

This is obviously VERY costly.....and more likely then not, VERY stupid.

So, hit with Pros and Cons people

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Jastermereel said:
DO IT

I have a complete 2005 set available.... :lol:

I can't be sure, but I think his opinion on the matter is a bit biased. ;) :lol:

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I started collecting the Yankee Heritage base cards very recently and I'm very glad I did. I still have a long ways to go, but the Heritage sets are just incredible. I can't wait to fill up my Heritage binder. If you don't want to collect the entire sets, I suggest going for just the Mets cards, a more manageable goal. The Yankees have 335 cards over 11 years (not counting the tints from this year), the Mets probably have much less.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
MojoDan said:
Jastermereel said:
DO IT

I have a complete 2005 set available.... :lol:

I can't be sure, but I think his opinion on the matter is a bit biased. ;) :lol:

:lol:

But seriously, they are probably the coolest (and most popular) modern set. You will have plenty of singles (if that's how you want to put the sets together) to choose from.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
nevermore said:
I started collecting the Yankee Heritage base cards very recently and I'm very glad I did. I still have a long ways to go, but the Heritage sets are just incredible. I can't wait to fill up my Heritage binder. If you don't want to collect the entire sets, I suggest going for just the Mets cards, a more manageable goal. The Yankees have 335 cards over 11 years (not counting the tints from this year), the Mets probably have much less.

I don't know...but I think he was kind of rubbing it in your face a little there... :eek: :shock:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The Heritage sets are very nice, but why not just work on your 1980's collection rather than divert your resources. You are going to need to drop $2K to have all the Heritage sets to the present day. You could buy a lot of 1980s cards with that money, or branch into most of the 1970s...

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
So the pro is that they are all amazing sets, the con is some of the SP's are tough to find, would you be putting the '06 with the Alex Gordon together? if so good luck on the Gordon cutout; last one i saw ended for around $300, i got mine for $65 due to a poor title. The sets are amazing, I build them every year and always look forward to February now for Heritage AND spring training

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
coming from a old time set collector i say go for it! IT will be a good chalange and fun times trying to get the sp's and so forth! I say if you have the time and $ go for it!

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I got sick of heritage after 2005 and now don't even buy a pack of it. It is cool to see how the players of today look on yesterday's cards though. I have a master set of 2001 that I enjoyed putting together when I was young and will keep that, but it got frustrating after a while. I suggest taking more time to consider before you make your decision.

AK11

May 24, 2010
If you choose to go down this road, start with your favorite retro design and work from there. Of course, doing this year's set is also a good starting point because the SPs are more available right now. There are some lots on ebay right now that you can buy 10 SPs per lot and you choose what you need. To build a Heritage set and the base SPs, consider the design and what the high number cards are in the checklist. A set with good player selection in SPs makes it a better chase and accomplishment in the end. I have been tempted myself for either this year's '62 design or next year's '63 design with the classic floating head rookies. If you decide to, have some fun.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
interesting input from everyone so far (as expected)

i would be pretty much buying the sets as a whole, building them from scratch just isnt an option this far down the line.

as for the Alex Gordon, i'd probably add that one eventually

as for my favorite design, Topps Heritage is starting to hit the mid 60's, and ive always loved those.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
One pro is you enjoy building one of the great all-time Topps brands and one con is...well, do you consider spending $ on a hobby a con?

I think the decision is easy. Plus, I bet they look great in 9-pocket pages.

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC
alexs64 said:
nevermore said:

I don't know...but I think he was kind of rubbing it in your face a little there... :eek: :shock:

Yeah, and the Mets suck so the cards will be extra cheap! *high fives other braves fans. Sorry e :D

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:

i would be pretty much buying the sets as a whole, building them from scratch just isnt an option this far down the line.

as for my favorite design, Topps Heritage is starting to hit the mid 60's, and ive always loved those.

Buying the sets as a whole can be the most economical way to do it, but i dont see how much fun that would be.

Perhaps the best way is to look for NEARLY complete sets, then you still get the thrill of the chase working on the last 20-30 SPs in the set.

If your goal is just to have them to look at, why not just look at them online?

To me, set building is all about the building, not the owning. But to each, his own.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Mudcatsfan said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Buying the sets as a whole can be the most economical way to do it, but i dont see how much fun that would be.

Perhaps the best way is to look for NEARLY complete sets, then you still get the thrill of the chase working on the last 20-30 SPs in the set.

If your goal is just to have them to look at, why not just look at them online?

To me, set building is all about the building, not the owning. But to each, his own.

I think you should buy the previous years as whole sets and then build them as they come out in future releases..
It would be too costly to build the early years from scratch or from starter sets.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts