Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay question regarding restricted accounts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
...not going to get into the details or complain, but... because I had a stated fixed shipping amount ($3.00 for the first card, $.75 for each additional card), I received "an inappropriate number of 1 and 2s in my DSRs" for shipping price so my account was encumbered by "selling limits" to help me get back on track.

I've now moved to free shipping (and higher start prices). I'm confident that my restricted selling will help me get my shipping scores up, and I appreciate eBay providing said limits so that I don't sell too much, as God forbid I charge a nominal rate for shipping.

So, if any of you have had these stupid limits enacted, what, other than an act of congress, does it take to get rid of them?

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
As long as you can sell enough single items with the free shipping you should be able to get your account out of the restricted status.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
ebay is getting ridiculous, they might as well force us to have free shipping. Its becoming a joke.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
No offense to the OP, but really it only costs $1.58 with DC through paypal to ship one card. To ship two cards it will cost the same, but could maybe add on 0.20 cents if you really wanted to. $3.00 is outrageous for one card and 0.75 thereafter. If a person buys their supplies in bulk, there is no reason why you can't ship for $2.25 or less and only add on 0.25 for each additional card won. You would still pocket some extra funds.

I don't agree with the buyer however giving out such low DSR's because they knew your shipping fees to begin with, but then again, it's hard to argue with logic. Any buyer that sells knows exactly what it costs to ship cards.

And for the record, no, I do not agree with eBay is doing with the DSR's and the fact that a seller can't leave a negative, etc.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
bondofan38 said:
asw37 said:
ebay is getting ridiculous, they might as well force us to have free shipping. Its becoming a joke.
this is what they are going for. ebay is all about the buyer now.

~Damn it

it should be ALL about the seller!!~

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Did they at least give you some kind of warning?

They usually just do these "shutdowns" in a big wave all together and completely blind-side the affected sellers...

and this Way-Too buyer-friendly plan is just plain bad policy.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
prospectorgems said:
No offense to the OP, but really it only costs $1.58 with DC through paypal to ship one card. To ship two cards it will cost the same, but could maybe add on 0.20 cents if you really wanted to. $3.00 is outrageous for one card and 0.75 thereafter. If a person buys their supplies in bulk, there is no reason why you can't ship for $2.25 or less and only add on 0.25 for each additional card won. You would still pocket some extra funds.

I don't agree with the buyer however giving out such low DSR's because they knew your shipping fees to begin with, but then again, it's hard to argue with logic. Any buyer that sells knows exactly what it costs to ship cards.

And for the record, no, I do not agree with eBay is doing with the DSR's and the fact that a seller can't leave a negative, etc.

Bubble mailers are about $.18-20 in bulk, toploaders and other supplies are another .15-.20. So we're talking $1.98 - if I make $1 "profit", that gets completely sucked up by eBay fees and Paypal costs. 98% of the auctions out there are in the $2.50-3.50 range for a single card. I didn't think I was over the top, and again, this is something that's clear and up front. ... I don't want to get into a debate. It is what it is; I'm just trying to figure out how to get my acct cleared up. The eBay drone opined that I'd have to wait a year until the DSRs are off my record. That doesn't seem appropriate.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Jeff N. said:
prospectorgems said:

Bubble mailers are about $.18-20 in bulk, toploaders and other supplies are another .15-.20. So we're talking $1.98 - if I make $1 "profit", that gets completely sucked up by eBay fees and Paypal costs. 98% of the auctions out there are in the $2.50-3.50 range for a single card. I didn't think I was over the top, and again, this is something that's clear and up front. ... I don't want to get into a debate. It is what it is; I'm just trying to figure out how to get my acct cleared up. The eBay drone opined that I'd have to wait a year until the DSRs are off my record. That doesn't seem appropriate.

$3 is not an exorbitant shipping rate for a card shipped in a top loader sealed in a team bag and inside a bubble mailer. .75 is also perfectly acceptable for an extra card. Most eBayers charge $1.00 or $1.50. I've also noticed a lot more $4-$5 shipping charges now.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
prospectorgems said:

I realize for you that is probably true regarding shipping costs.....so I'm not saying you're "wrong", but at the same time Buyers/Sellers that apply that logic to everyone is an Ebay pet peeve of mine and imo ridiculous.

Yes I use Paypal shipping, and that can allow me to take some money off the S&H charge......but I realize everyone does not use this method, nor is it mandatory. There can be people for whatever reason that choose or would rather go to the PO and that results in a higher cost.
It's also not right to assume everyone could/should buy supplies in bulk. Sure there are plenty of people that sell a couple cards a month. It may not make sense (or they may not have the room) to buy boxes of 100's of mailers at once. Instead they just pick one up for a $1.00 at the nearest store as needed.
etc. etc.

That said, I'm sure there are some that use your method and still charge a higher cost......but I don't think it's fair to apply that to everyone. Circumstances and prices can vary some due to the individual.
Because of that I personally have no problem with $3 shipping on a card that is packaged well and sent in a timely manner.

To the OP - sorry that happened to you. My DSR's are in the danger zone as well, hopefully I can avoid restrictions.
It really sucks because I literally lose a few cents every time I ship, yet that apparently qualifies as excessive shipping. It's really ridiculous - and the entire system is a joke.....because a 4 star if interpreted literally by the buyer is "very good".....yet it gets you screwed over by Ebay.
(sorry for the long rant, as I said the stars and the idea that "I ship for x amount, everyone else should as well" really grinds my gears)

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
The shipping rate is most often included in what buyer bids. If you have 2.95 ship, you may get a $7.05 bid because that buyer is willing to spend $10 total. Other bidders do not take the shipping into account and win the card for X ammount and shipping dosen't affect them. With whatever shipping cost you chose, it is the price of doing business. Many buyers wont bid on a card with more the $3 shipping just on principle. So your extra dollar on shipping maybe losing you many pontential bidders. Something to think about.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
This may be going off tangent a touch, but dang, why does a buyer have any right to judge my shipping rates AFTER they agreed to them by placing a bid or hitting the BIN or making an offer?

My rates are published, as pretty much everyone's are. Mostly $3 plus .50 for each additional. Your offer, or bid should take my rates into account. In my opinion you don't have a leg to stand on to complain about my rates AFTER you chose to do business with me. You had the right and capacity to factor my shipping rates into your offer or bid, so why do you get to complain afterwords? This is one area where eBay really pisses me off. If my description is off, or my shipping time is bad, have at it.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Jeff, about 3 months of free shipping will clear it up. I had that on my other account. I was a POWER SELLER and had one negative in over 10,000 transactions, yet they restricted me. What a freaking joke. I got hit with some 1 and 2's for shipping price when people bought 20-30 LOTS of cards. I sent them via priority flat rate, didn't make a penny on them, and still got dinged. UNreal.

But yes, it will clear up, mine just did. I actually stopped selling on that account all together and started another account.

skrip

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
FRUCK YOU, EBAY.
Just got this email. My acct is still restricted.

================================
YOUR GOOD WORK IS GETTING NOTICED
jeffmn

Your customers think you're GREAT!

Congrats, you got 4.66 (out of 5) stars

Make even more customers happy.
Take advantage of FREE listing!

Up to 100 Auction-style items per month
With starting prices under $1*

List for FREE

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I charge 2.5 for shipping, with .25 for each extra card and it seems I'm close to getting ebay restrictions. What do people want? Seriously.

card1guy

Feb 8, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
My acount was suspended in early December for exactly the same reason. I had a couple of low shipping DSR from Jan/Feb of 2010. I got my first review at the 1 year mark and I was over the minimum percentage of 1s and 2s. I was told that once the 1s and 2s rolled off and my numbers went back up I would be activated again.

March came and the scores dropped off and it din't reactivate. I called Ebay and was told they would look into it. A few weeks later I called again, got to a higher level tech and was basically told that I would never be allowed to sell on ebay again because the scores and the punishment would never actually truly go away.

I'm not sure what the real Ebay policy is but at this point I've got an ebay account I can only purchase with.

My only way to get back on Ebay as a seller is to make a new Ebay account and use all different info - address, bank, etc... so they don't link it back to my already locked seller account.

The part that sucks is I have 100% positive feedback and have never charged more for shipping than I posted in any auction. My average DSR ratings actually went UP during my suspension due to feedback received during that time period and while I was suspended they actually continued to charge me for the store they closed since I didn't go in after I was suspended and request that my subscription be cancelled. (I thought that closing the store and cancelling 300 listings was a complete and thorough process.)

I hope you can get your limits lifted and get back to a full account as it seems like Ebay has a varying policy on punishments depending on who actually handles your account/calls.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
If people would stop overcharging on shipping ebay would ease up. 3.00 to ship a card is excessive, .75 for each additional is way to much. It sucks that your account is restricted but it's your own fault.

G

The shipping fees aren't to make a profit to cover the fees, so that could explain the 1s and 2s if you have insane rates

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Sweetness said:
If people would stop overcharging on shipping ebay would ease up. 3.00 to ship a card is excessive, .75 for each additional is way to much. It sucks that your account is restricted but it's your own fault.

And I assume you ship for $1.75 and $.25 each additional card?

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
i agree that the buyer has way to much control at ebay, which is the opposite of the real world. they bid on the items based on the description which includes shipping fees, so they should have no gripe in the end. a lot of buyers now, use ebay to their advantage and makes it hard on sellers. i only charge $2 shipping regardless if you buy 1 card or 100 cards. do i take a hit, sure i do, especially when someone wins 5 or 6 cards or more. do i care, not really. i look at the sale price without shipping to determine my happiness for the day.

i dont buy my supplies in bulk, i buy as i need them. it costs me 44 cents for a bubble mailer and generally nothing for toploaders, etc. as i use ones that i get from cards i buy (every once in a while i have to buy some new ones along with sleeves, etc) plus whatever it costs to ship, which is usually around $1.25 or so.

Members online