Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ST: How much does it really affect prospect cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
So, I'm extremely anxious for 2009 ST to start!! However, this is my first year of prospecting and didn't really follow the market during ST beforehand. I was just curious to know how much specific cards actually jump right before/during/after ST? I've already seen some good sized jumps even right now, so that made me want to know more. Specific examples from 2008 ST would be VERY helpful, just so I could get an idea!

Thanks!!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
You might get some answers, but few will be useful or offer you an idea of what to expect going forward.

In the next few months we'll have the BA top 100 prospects list, the WBC, and Spring Training; each will affect card prices. Some cards will go up in anticipation of the BA list, while surprises will go up when the list comes out (and some that are not surprises may see small increases.) Players who may have sunk a bit cheaper over the offseason may already be seeing increases today (David Price's stuff has gone up a solid 25% if not more since December.)

The players who have jumped now will not necessarily maintain those increases until the season. The upcoming baseball season (and the end of the NFL season) will have more people moving back to baseball mode which should mean increases across the hobby, though they will likely be slight for most players.

Players who do well in ST, and especially surprises and real young prospects will likely see increases. A player who makes the MLB team, and especially one with a starting job (where that was not anticipated) will likely see increases.

The WBC will probably place at least a couple of players on pedestals depending on performance.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
Pros and Cons to ST.

If a player does well, it will raise his prices. If a player does poorly it will hinder them. If that player is a stud prospect, the prices will be affected even more so than surprise performances on both sides of the coin. If a guy like David Price gets shelled in Spring Training, you will see a larger drop in prices than you will see a rise in prices if a guy like Andy Sonnanstine surprisingly makes the 5th starter spot.

Homer went into ST last season on fire, came out like unused coal, wheras Edinson Volquez and Cueto came out on fire.

There's a perfect example for you.

Members online

Latest posts