Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tsuyoshi Nishioka breaks leg on hard slide at second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
NEW YORK -- The Twins carried their second baseman, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, off the field in the seventh inning of Thursday's 4-3 loss to the Yankees with a fractured left fibula after he was knocked to the ground at the base by a slide by Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher.

Nishioka will be placed on the disabled list, and the Twins will promote Luke Hughes to fill Nishioka's roster spot.

Swisher was the baserunner at first base when Mark Teixeira hit a ground ball to shortstop Alexi Casilla. Nishioka moved to the infield side of the base after making his unsuccessful relay to first base, and Swisher's lower left leg made contact with the lower left leg of the rookie second baseman playing his sixth big league game after seven-plus seasons in Japan.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Saw the play Swisher went in hard but was a clean play.

P_Manning 18 said:
NEW YORK -- The Twins carried their second baseman, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, off the field in the seventh inning of Thursday's 4-3 loss to the Yankees with a fractured left fibula after he was knocked to the ground at the base by a slide by Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher.

Nishioka will be placed on the disabled list, and the Twins will promote Luke Hughes to fill Nishioka's roster spot.

Swisher was the baserunner at first base when Mark Teixeira hit a ground ball to shortstop Alexi Casilla. Nishioka moved to the infield side of the base after making his unsuccessful relay to first base, and Swisher's lower left leg made contact with the lower left leg of the rookie second baseman playing his sixth big league game after seven-plus seasons in Japan.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
scotty21690 said:
ballerskrip said:
How long do you guys think he wil be out?
Going to assume 8 weeks min.

I wish him a speedy recovery.....But he is getting bounced from the "skrip thrillas" fantasy squad.

skrip

Same here. I liked that he was a 2B/SS type player so if my 2B went down and I had a better player to play SS... I could slide Nishioka over to 2B. But since I didnt have a SS to take his place had to dump him for Escobar. Figured he wouldnt be back til June... so no reason to let him take up a bench spot.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Sucks for Twins fans. Was really looking forward to seeing Nishi play. Was one fresh face in the line up from group that always pukes all over themselves come post season. I will be happy if he comes back after All Star break. Only good thing is he cards will be much cheaper now.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Really wanted to see Nishioka play, but I doubt I will make it to TF before he gets back.

Still going to drop him the TTM request...

Have to drop him from my fantasy team now :(

G

While it sucks he's out, Hughes is a better hitter and should be a solid replacement

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
f2tornado said:
Clean yet ****** bag slide. I wish MLB would simply call out a runner aiming for a player instead of the bag.

I tend to agree with this. If the runner isn't touching 2nd base at all with any body part, then I think he should be penalized for trying to hurt the defensive player.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
lisu said:
f2tornado said:
Clean yet ****** bag slide. I wish MLB would simply call out a runner aiming for a player instead of the bag.

I tend to agree with this. If the runner isn't touching 2nd base at all with any body part, then I think he should be penalized for trying to hurt the defensive player.

Swisher went in to the bag with his upper body and his legs took him out. If he wasn't in contact with the bag, I do believe a double play could have been called (umpire judgement call). A take out slide is just as much a part of the game as a collision at the plate, like two years ago when we lost Cervelli in Spring Training against the Rays on a play at the plate. I guess it was "clean but ****** bag slide" because of the uniform he is in. I feel bad for Nishioka but it is part of the game and it does end in an injury at times.

A_Pharis

alex-rodriguez-cameron-diaz-and-popcorn-arods-20.jpg

"Hey, it's called playing smart!"

A_Pharis

MantMaris said:
lisu said:
f2tornado said:

Swisher went in to the bag with his upper body and his legs took him out. If he wasn't in contact with the bag, I do believe a double play could have been called (umpire judgement call). A take out slide is just as much a part of the game as a collision at the plate, like two years ago when we lost Cervelli in Spring Training against the Rays on a play at the plate. I guess it was "clean but ****** bag slide" because of the uniform he is in. I feel bad for Nishioka but it is part of the game and it does end in an injury at times.

A collision at the plate involves a catcher intentionally blocking the path and the only way to the plate is through him. This clearly involves a player trying to make a play but also trying his hardest to not only avoid the break up but also avoid impact that is potentially harmful. I would also venture to guess that this type of impact is more potentially harmful since it involves an unsuspecting or unprepared player.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
A_Pharis said:
MantMaris said:
lisu said:
f2tornado said:

A collision at the plate involves a catcher intentionally blocking the path and the only way to the plate is through him. This clearly involves a player trying to make a play but also trying his hardest to not only avoid the break up but also avoid impact that is potentially harmful. I would also venture to guess that this type of impact is more potentially harmful since it involves an unsuspecting or unprepared player.

Everyone that has ever played second or short at any level of ball knows this risk on a double play. I was taken out once in college and I made sure I was up or out of the way every time after. Only took one. There is no way at this level playing second or short are you unsuspecting or unaware.

Members online

Latest posts