Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Scanner Thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I seem to remember a detailed discussion recently on the absolute best scanner for scanning cards, but I can't seem to find it in my searches. My scanner has several issues, including a) showing rainbow-like prismatic lines when scanning refractorlike finishes and b) the scanner lid doesn't make good contact with the cards, resulting in a "lifted" or "shadowed" appearance in the scans. Also, my scans all cast a shadow on one end of thick cards. My scanner is an Epson V300 Photo...Here are some examples of my issues:

img475.jpg

img679.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Sounds like HP has it down pretty good, I'm gonna go check them out. Thanks again fellas!

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Is there one where you could lay 9 cards on the bed, and in one step it'll scan them all, put a small border around each & save them individually to seperate files in your computer? Kinda taylor-made for what we do?

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I posted in one of the threads linked but I stand by my hp scanjet g3110

I ordered & got the g3110, but was sorely disappointed to find that the scanner lid had a built-in device for film negatives right in the middle. I called hp & they told me that all of their scanners now feature this device. The device would show-up on the background of all my scans taken in the middle of the scanner bed, which is unacceptable to me. I returned the g3110 & now im back to the drawing board :-(

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
autocut said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

That's what I have, but have to clean scan up a bit by using auto color, auto contrast.

What do you mean by "clean scan up"?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
allstars said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I ordered & got the g3110, but was sorely disappointed to find that the scanner lid had a built-in device for film negatives right in the middle. I called hp & they told me that all of their scanners now feature this device. The device would show-up on the background of all my scans taken in the middle of the scanner bed, which is unacceptable to me. I returned the g3110 & now im back to the drawing board :-(

Yeah mine has that too. You can combat this by either putting your cards down and then putting a piece of paper over them before closing the lid, or you can do what I usually do and scan with the top up. I find that scanning with the top up often provides better results anyway.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
My main issue with that is that I'm scanning mostly raw vintage cards, and I need the lid to actually put pressure on the cards as they don't always lay lat on the bed. With modern cards this isn't an issue, but if you look at the 62 Yaz scan earlier in this thread you'll get an idea of my perdicament. Thanks for all the input btw...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Ahh gotcha. Well I don't do any vintage, but I would suggest maybe trying the paper idea. That's what I do on cards with black borders, since scanning with the lid up leaves a dark background.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
use a sheet of white or black construction paper depending on whether you have light or dark bordered cards if you can't scan with the lid up

to flatten the curling cards, put a heavy book on top of the construction paper

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
A suggestion, when taking scans/pics, put them against Black Cardboard paper, it makes it easier to define the edges.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
zep33 said:
use a sheet of white or black construction paper depending on whether you have light or dark bordered cards if you can't scan with the lid up

to flatten the curling cards, put a heavy book on top of the construction paper

DON'T do this with cards that bow (Bowman Chrome/Topps Chrome) as it will put a crease on front!

autocut

allstars said:
autocut said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

That's what I have, but have to clean scan up a bit by using auto color, auto contrast.

What do you mean by "clean scan up"?

The original scan looks dull. Auto color, then auto contrast makes card look closer to original. There are other things you can do to make it look better. Here is an example:

Original Scan With HP G3110:
example1.jpg

Scan After Applying Auto Color and Auto Contrast (in Photoshop)
example2.jpg

Members online

Latest posts