Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Funny, it was out of stock when I tried to buy it on Beckett

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I just sent him this email. I'm looking forward to hearing his response.

I find it very interesting that when I purchased this card from you on Beckett a few days ago, it was out of stock. But now, it magically appears in your stock again, not for the $12 I paid for it, but instead as a $50 BIN on eBay. I would love to hear an explanation about this. Better yet, I would like to get the card I paid $12 for and was told it was "out of stock". Please let me know when this card will be pulled from here so it can be sent to me since I originally purchased it. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon on this matter.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
When I saw it for $12, I bought it as fast as I could, but I had a feeling that since it went for $30 or so that I might not ever see it. I've heard too many stories about Beckett sellers pulling stunts like this.

I will give credit to another seller on Beckett though: Baseball Card Connection
The same day I bought the Cole, I bought a 2010 Bowman Platinum Sonny Gray auto ref /199 for $19.99. They sell for $40 right now. I've already received emails stating it was shipped. He could have done the same thing, but he sold it anyway. I wish more sellers were like him instead of the first guy.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Sorry that happened to you ^ I have had similar issues where a guy gets hot and my card sells on Beckett. I always honor the sale though and that is how it should be.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm shocked to hear that about Marcel. I've been to the guy's shop with a friend and he was as cool as can be and prices were as cheap as can be. I got this from him dirt cheap:

IMG_0220.jpg

and he even busted a box of absolute to see if he could help us with our set. He does come down on his prices though it's my friend who does the best negotiating.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I'd love to hear his response as to why he is selling the exact card I purchased from him then. I paid for it, then the next day, I get an email saying it is out of stock. Now he is selling the exact same card on eBay just a couple days later.

Doesn't look good from a customer's point of view...

chashawk said:
blazers091 said:
guy is a skeeze ball
what makes you say that?

I've had nothing but great communication and positive experiences with Marcel.

seems like a very nice guy.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
chashawk said:
blazers091 said:
guy is a skeeze ball
what makes you say that?

I've had nothing but great communication and positive experiences with Marcel.

seems like a very nice guy.

that was not a nice business move. The seller had a price and should have fulfilled his obligations to the buyer.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
add rainout sportscards to the beckett punk azz list. they told me they had a theft in house and the two cards i ordered were gone. the marketplace is a fricken joke.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I've even wondered if it could be an employee who made the move and not the seller. Those who have dealt with him have had good thing to say so maybe it was someone else.

I still look forward to an explanation. If he fixes it, I will take down this thread immediately. I'm just tired of seeing things like this happen at Beckett and eBay.

bear0555 said:
I'm shocked to hear that about Marcel. I've been to the guy's shop with a friend and he was as cool as can be and prices were as cheap as can be. I got this from him dirt cheap:

IMG_0220.jpg

and he even busted a box of absolute to see if he could help us with our set. He does come down on his prices though it's my friend who does the best negotiating.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I've had nothing but problem trying to buy cards and boxes on Beckett. I don't even waste my time looking there any more. Same problem, paid for cards and boxes that were slightly under eBay going rate, and got refunded a couple days later with no explaination. The sellers then bumped up their asking price for the exact same product.

Tom

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Marcel is a pretty good guy, we used to go to the same LCS for several years and he was always quick to trade something he pulled if you wanted it. I haven't been to his shop since he opened it several years ago but he still sends me flyers. Not sure why this is happening but his shop's phone number is in his listing, calling him and asking him over the phone might get better results. Good luck.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Let Jeff at Beckett know about this. He stated that this is in violation of their contracts. He also said they do not like Beckett being given a negative image because of a seller doing something as you described.

Tom Oates said:
I've had nothing but problem trying to buy cards and boxes on Beckett. I don't even waste my time looking there any more. Same problem, paid for cards and boxes that were slightly under eBay going rate, and got refunded a couple days later with no explaination. The sellers then bumped up their asking price for the exact same product.

Tom

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
To play devil's advocate for a minute... is it any better that you're essentially trying to take advantage of a seller who wasn't quick enough to have a price that more accurately reflected the current market?

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Just got an email back from him.

He stated it was never supposed to be listed on Beckett. It was listed for a customer who wanted it listed on eBay for $50. How it got on Beckett for $12 puzzles me though.

He also said that while it should not have happened, he has to be loyal to his customers.

I emailed him back that this must not mean me, because I was a customer and I'm not getting the card I purchased from him. Plus I was never notified by email what the issue was until I caught the mistake. They were fine with just sending out an email through Beckett that it was out of stock. That doesn't sound like a customer is being taken care of there.

I would have accepted his reason had he emailed it to me. I understand mistakes happen. Instead, it gets listed on eBay 2 days later. I understand mistakes happen. He has to understand though that it did not look good being listed on eBay because this is an unfortunate practice of other Beckett Marketplace sellers.

In my opinion, he should have still sold the card to me, but made up the difference to the owner of the card since it was his store's mistake.

All that being said, it's over and it is what it is. He has lost me as a customer. Someone else gets the card. Life goes on. I just don't agree with how it was handled.

Rickzcards said:
Marcel is a pretty good guy, we used to go to the same LCS for several years and he was always quick to trade something he pulled if you wanted it. I haven't been to his shop since he opened it several years ago but he still sends me flyers. Not sure why this is happening but his shop's phone number is in his listing, calling him and asking him over the phone might get better results. Good luck.

Members online