Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really sad figure realized at the shop today (stickers)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
So I was at the shop today and they have tons of products on their shelves. I was bored so I counted up how many products there were total and how many actually contained on-card autos. So for baseball, hockey, football, basketball, mma, and non-sports combined the percentage was:

84% of ALL products available there are stickers.

I am depressed...

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I dont mind stickers, I like them, I dont prefer them, but I dont mind them either.

A_Pharis

Chris, I think he'd like to just see a few more products that are on card.

Sure, stickers are easy and allow for more in the product, but doesn't that really HURT autograph value? If it weren't for stickers, on card autographs would be more limited and more valuable due to less abundance (caused by mass amounts of stickers). I think having fewer autograph subjects over multiple products -- all on card -- would limit the amount of the signature hitting circulation.. making them rarer and possibly more desirable. I think products aiming at retail featuring ONLY on-card autos would get a HUGE response.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Ty Hope said:
So I was at the shop today and they have tons of products on their shelves. I was bored so I counted up how many products there were total and how many actually contained on-card autos. So for baseball, hockey, football, basketball, mma, and non-sports combined the percentage was:

84% of ALL products available there are stickers.

I am depressed...

I can agree with Ty. I don't hate stickers but on card autos are way way more appealing in my opinion. I like the fact that the player that signed the card actually touched it. I feel like stickers are an easy/lazy way for card companies to add autos to their offering.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
A_Pharis said:
Chris, I think he'd like to just see a few more products that are on card.

Sure, stickers are easy and allow for more in the product, but doesn't that really HURT autograph value? If it weren't for stickers, on card autographs would be more limited and more valuable due to less abundance (caused by mass amounts of stickers). I think having fewer autograph subjects over multiple products -- all on card -- would limit the amount of the signature hitting circulation.. making them rarer and possibly more desirable. I think products aiming at retail featuring ONLY on-card autos would get a HUGE response.

This! I do not own a single sticker auto in my collection! I do not like them and prefer the look and appeal of on card autos!

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I like on card as well. Although, I understand the need for stickers in the hobby. I know I might be in the minority, but I like when autos are old school and don't even have a specific location they are supposed to go.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I will preface this by saying I don't necessarily mind sticker autos if at least done decently. There are some horrible examples such as the sticker autos on the T206 mini cards, but a few of my favorite cards are stickers autos.

However, you have to admit that these

$(KGrHqZ,!iYE1MnwnjQbBNWeYeSdeQ~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqYOKiIE13kgypfcBNnLk1vZF!~~0_3.jpg

are much nicer than these

$(KGrHqV,!hcE1iPF9FrrBNn93mNG1g~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!hME2fFNy14mBNoJKb8QOw~~_12.jpg

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
To me it just depends on sticker placement. Some sticker autos look pretty good, but I agree I would much rather have on card. But with on card that also brings higher prices to pay for the guys you want.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I think the sad reality is that the card companies know there are two types of customers out there - the "collectors" who obviously prefer on-card autos for their personal collections, and the "rip and flippers" who frankly don't care about the aesthetics of the card, as much, per se, and intend of selling their pulls as soon as they are out of the pack. I'm starting to believe that most high-end/volume guys out there are not collectors, but rippers and flippers, so it doesn't matter if the autograph is a sticker on a tampon, so as long as there are "big hits" out there and as long as people are buying these frankensteins to flip for more cash, it will perpetuate the problem.

The solution - buy singles that are on-card autos, and if you have the itch to crack, expect to sell what you pull since you really have no desire of keeping it anyways.

And buy those on-card auto products HARD. Buy out the shop.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
I think the sad reality is that the card companies know there are two types of customers out there - the "collectors" who obviously prefer on-card autos for their personal collections, and the "rip and flippers" who frankly don't care about the aesthetics of the card, as much, per se, and intend of selling their pulls as soon as they are out of the pack. I'm starting to believe that most high-end/volume guys out there are not collectors, but rippers and flippers, so it doesn't matter if the autograph is a sticker on a tampon, so as long as there are "big hits" out there and as long as people are buying these frankensteins to flip for more cash, it will perpetuate the problem.

The solution - buy singles that are on-card autos, and if you have the itch to crack, expect to sell what you pull since you really have no desire of keeping it anyways.

And buy those on-card auto products HARD. Buy out the shop.

I doubt the majority of sticker autos are purchased for flips. I would say the majority of collector's prefer sticker autos, but don't mind having sticker autos in their collections.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Count how many of those are actually true collector cards...

definition of a collector card... ALWAYS issued FREE with a product or service of some kind... ie gum, clothing/shoes purchase, cupcakes, bread, cereal, magazine, popcorn, soda, hotdogs, movie theater, eggs, beer, icecream, etc. etc.

Id guess that 99% of all "cards" today are NOT true collector cards that were obtained for FREE.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:
Count how many of those are actually true collector cards...

definition of a collector card... ALWAYS issued FREE with a product or service of some kind... ie gum, clothing/shoes purchase, cupcakes, bread, cereal, magazine, popcorn, soda, hotdogs, movie theater, eggs, beer, icecream, etc. etc.

Id guess that 99% of all "cards" today are NOT true collector cards that were obtained for FREE.

You're using Jefferson Burdick's definition

...from the 1930's

Things change

Members online

Latest posts