Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wal-Mart's new supply inventory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Recently, my Walmart carried Ultra Pro brand protectors, sleeves, and pages. However, around three months ago they stopped carrying any kind of card supplies.

Two weeks ago, I noticed supplies were in stock - only this time, it's an offbrand. These are "Card Collector's Sleeves" and "Card Collector's Top Loaders". They are manufactured by "Noteworthy - US". The sleeves work fine. The loaders, however, are a completely different story.

I purchased two packages last week, but finally tried one today. You cannot fit even a 2011 Topps base card into the toploader without risking corner damage. Without a sleeve around the card, you encounter resistance not even halfway down the toploader. It's impossible to fit a 2010 Bowman Platinum base card (sleeved) into the protector.

I was planning on using these for an upcoming trade, but that won't be happening. I wish I had checked these earlier so I could have added loaders to my DA Card World order yesterday.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
uniquebaseballcards said:
Interesting. Are these supplies archival/collector safe - are they PVC/acid free?

Yes, they are listed as PVC/acid free and archival safe. At least, the sleeves are marked this way.

The sleeves have worked fine for me, but forget about the toploaders. You have to force a penny sleeve (by itself) into the thing.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
BunchOBull said:
To clarify, no major toploader brand is archival safe. That's why penny sleeves are imperative.

And this further solidifies the problem with their toploaders. You can't fit a card into the thing, much less a card and a sleeve.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Ultra Pro raised prices nearly across the board and this WalMart move makes me think they're scaling back even more.

Are the Card Collector's supplies only selling one size toploader or do they have a product for a thicker gauge card?

EMack52

Apr 4, 2011
I heard from my LCS that Ultra Pro has stopped prodution. Supplies are going to be harder to find, something about
a plant in China shutting down.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
rico08 said:
Ultra Pro raised prices nearly across the board and this WalMart move makes me think they're scaling back even more.

Are the Card Collector's supplies only selling one size toploader or do they have a product for a thicker gauge card?

My Walmart only carried one size.

I tried to complain to the manufacturer of the product via e-mail using the address on their site, but the e-mail didn't go through.

It's hard for me to get decent supplies since I haven't been to a card shop in several years (and buy online once or twice a year).

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
There are several walmarts and targets around here that don't even sell the cards anymore. It seems if it isn't a super walmart or super target I can't even buy a pack or supplies. Nearest LCS is roughly 30 min away, kind of a hassle to go all the way down there.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
abeabe said:
There are several walmarts and targets around here that don't even sell the cards anymore. It seems if it isn't a super walmart or super target I can't even buy a pack or supplies. Nearest LCS is roughly 30 min away, kind of a hassle to go all the way down there.

That's how I am.

At least they still carry blasters and retail packs here (SuperCenter).

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
It crushed me when my Wal Mart stopped selling supplies, because the LCS is just an overall collectibles/antique shop that has more Star Wars stuff collecting dust than card related items. We have a card show bi-monthly at the mall, so that's the only place I can get one touches.

Wal Mart may as well not even sell supplies (as far as I'm concerned) if they're doing this cheap crap brand.

Members online