Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need Catching Help, what do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hey all,

I have victor martinez catching for me, which is great, but I am very weak at 1b. Which I can move victor to 1b.

My 1b options right now are justin smoak and carlos pena. So I am considering moving victor there and grabbing a new catcher....

My options:

Nick HUndley - batting .440 with 2 HR
Carlos Ruiz - batting over .300 with 1 HR
Alex Avila - batting .280 with 3 HR

Any thoughts?

skrip

The Third Eye

Aug 26, 2008
The Fox Valley
Skrip, I picked up Avila in one of my leagues for a backup C. He struck out twice and cost me -1 points. So don't pick him up, although, the two Tigers could be good for you depending on how your league is set up. Good luck.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
For what it's worth, I think Avila is a servicable fantasy catcher. I get to watch most of the Tigers games and he really looks good this year. He looks so much more comfortable in the batters box this year compared to last year.

I think you can add Wilson Ramos as another servicable fantasy catcher for your second catcher slot. Ramos is playing ever other day with Pudge but I don't see that lasting much longer. They really need to get Ramos more regular PT.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
ballerskrip said:
Hey all,

I have victor martinez catching for me, which is great, but I am very weak at 1b. Which I can move victor to 1b.

My 1b options right now are justin smoak and carlos pena. So I am considering moving victor there and grabbing a new catcher....

My options:

Any thoughts?

skrip

Are you unable to grab a new first baseman??? Most catchers seasons would be considered a success if they batted .275 with 55 runs and 55 RBIs, 12 HRs and 3 SBs. A first baseman with the same stats would be considered garbage.

You may want to consider that Smoak is batting higher in the order than these guys thus far and then look for something more interesting.

That average stats of a catcher last year are as follows:
50 R, 13 HR, 57 RBI, 2 SB, .268
The average first baseman
87 R, 28 HR, 96 RBI, 3 SB, .279

Here's two very poor 1Base options that make the catchers look bad.
Ty Wiggington 63 R, 22 HR, 76 RBI, .248
Garrett Jones 64R, 21 HR, 86 RBI, 7 SB, .247

I would strongly suggest exhausting 1b options before sticking any catcher there. You may look at your team and say Vmart puts up adequate 1B stats, but in reality you are replacing your 1st baseman with Avila, Ruiz, or Hundley, not your catcher position.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
ballerskrip said:
Hey all,

My options:

Any thoughts?

skrip

I would look for a different 1B instead of a Catcher. And I would move Pena he will not find his swing until way to late in the season in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts