Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would this be a fun fantasy BB format

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I'm in 3 leagues this year and like/dislike different things about each of them. Everyone is different and you're certainly not going to be able to please everyone with any one league. I was sort of thinking about this the other day and it got me brainstorming about a tweak to the format that might be fun and I thought I'd see what others thought. Here's how I thought I'd set it up:

12 teams - could be 10 too, but I hate going lower than that
H2H - I prefer this to roto
weekly roster change - could be daily if that's what people wanted, but I'm busy so I like weekly so I don't have to change the lineup every day
Roster - would be pretty standard, but I like formats with an extra starting OF and MI, CI. Ps is flexible, but I wouldn't do anything weird here. Maybe a slightly expanded starting roster, but nothing crazy.
Scoring categories - I like to expand here a little beyond the 5x5 as well, but nothing crazy

Everything so far is pretty standard. The one change that would be different from most leagues is that I'd have a huge roster with reserves. Something like 40 total players per team (I'd have to do some research to see if that would be way too many, but the bench slots would be significantly expanded). Then, I would NOT allow free agents to be picked up ever throughout the season. It would force you to really research your draft (my favorite part of fantasy anyway). You'd really have to know who you want to pick as your sleepers, your comeback players, or what prospects you think will make a splash that year. Yes most of these guys will be sitting on the bench most of the year, but if there are injuries (and there always are), you have to figure out how to best fill that slot w/o just picking up some guy sitting in the free agency pool. In my mind this would also force more league activity in the way of trades, which is a good thing in my opinion. Also, picking up that guys that gets hot is no longer about who gets there first or who has the higher waiver priority, but it's dependant upon your ability to predict who will have the breakout year that year. If you choose well then you have a lot of options for setting your lineup or dealing with injuries or having the upper hand when trade partners come knocking.

Then sometime in the middle of the year, I'd hold another mini draft. Draft order would be dependant on your standing in the league up to that point with the worst teams picking first and would be typical snake fashion. Each team would get to add 3 players from those available and drop 3 they already have. This draft would have to be done by post with active members and the option to pass if you don't want to add anyone or drop anyone from your current 40 man roster. It wouldn't have to be a large draft since there shouldn't be many left that anyone would want.

I'm sure this format isn't for everyone. The idea of it is still in its infancy in my mind although I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with something like this. I know this isn't some revulutionary change to fantasy BB, but I thought it might be fun. I'm sure there are ways to improve on it as well. I'd love to hear what others think.

P.S. I never even knew this fantasy BB are was here till today. I'll have to check back more regularly :D

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Sounds cool to me!

But instead I would do a Roto league with a TON of catagories, my first ever league I was in had like 20ish total catagories, friggen awesome....every little hit counted, and losses actually counted AGAINST you! I hate how current setups favor power hitters, and where in most leagues a triple or a double is just as good as a single.

Lastly, I would make it so the mid-season draft....every team had to drop 3 players prior to the draft, so there would be more players to choose from, and it would be fair game.

Members online

Latest posts