Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying cards from craigslist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
Anyone else do this? I am fortunate enough to live in an area that gets frequent postings about baseball cards. I love going through people's old collections even though I haven't found many valuable cards. I'm going to meet someone tonight who promises over 100,000 cards. I have never encountered such a large collection. Can I get some strategies or things to look out for? Unfortunately, the cards seem to be mostly from the 80s and 90s, but there are some unopened boxes that grabbed my attention. Here is the original listing:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/clt/2303216065.html

G

People post ads like this all the time. To be honest, there's nothing there but a potential strained back.

Everyone collected in the late 80s and 90s during the 'sports card boom' and put them away thinking they were going to have the next Mickey Mantle card.

If you're a glutton of punishment and just want to sit there going through them and reminiscing, then by all means.

But even if you break them down into lots by player, team, etc. when you factor all the work, all the trips to the post office, all the supplies you need... you might as well go make sneakers in Indonesia for Nike. Honestly.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I understand. I've been getting cards off craigslist for a while. I enjoy looking through people's stuff - I just never look through 100,000 cards.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
if it makes you happy go for it! worst thing that can happen is you stock up on fire starting material for years to come. there may be some hidden gems in there depending on whether or not the owner is a knowledgeable collector and the cards have been picked through already.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Hey, noticed you're in Goleta, I just moved to Paso Robles. It's a long shot, but do u know of any LCS up my way?

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
SydBarrett said:
Hey, noticed you're in Goleta, I just moved to Paso Robles. It's a long shot, but do u know of any LCS up my way?

I don't know of any in PR. The closest one I can think of is Great American Baseball Cards in Santa Barbara. The central coast doesn't have a whole lot of options.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Most of the listings I see are for 80's & early 90's junk. I've only bought once from craigslist which was a lot of 13 1994 SP a-rod RC's, all in at least nm-mt condition for $260 total ($20 per). I've sold 12 of them for $950 ($830 after fees and such) and have kept one. Because of this purchase I check craiglist maybe a few times a week hoping to strike gold again. I've only seen 2 more listings worth taking a look at but they were sold before I could get to them.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I’ve done it several times and had great luck w/it…but I’ve also had plenty of ‘wow, rare cards/great $$$ maker’ type of collections that really mean ‘bunch of overproduced 80s stuff/waste of gas/time’. If you’re close by + can spare some time, why not take a shot @ it? Supplies can be bought in bulk to save costs + things like Turbolister + paypal multiorder shipping (can print 50 labels @ 1x) can save listing + shipping time.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
1st4040 said:
if it makes you happy go for it! worst thing that can happen is you stock up on fire starting material for years to come. there may be some hidden gems in there depending on whether or not the owner is a knowledgeable collector and the cards have been picked through already.

Or waking up in a tub full of ice without a kidney...

Jeff N. said:
1st4040 said:

Or waking up in a tub full of ice without a kidney...

:lol: :lol: That made me laugh! :lol: :lol: