Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aroldis Chapman barely reaching the low 90's with his FB

By 2012 Chapman will be...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Listening to the Reds-Padres game last night, Marty B. was absolutely livid with the ineffectiveness of Aroldis when he pitches on back to back nights. Last night they said he had lost 12mph on his fastball. What will happen with Aroldis? Does this make the Reds think about moving him to the rotation so he can rest effectively before his next outing?

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Is this rantings of a senile old man or is there validity to Chapman's velocity drop with him being used on back-to-back nights?

jbhofmann said:
Listening to the Reds-Padres game last night, Marty B. was absolutely livid with the ineffectiveness of Aroldis when he pitches on back to back nights. Last night they said he had lost 12mph on his fastball. What will happen with Aroldis? Does this make the Reds think about moving him to the rotation so he can rest effectively before his next outing?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This is precisely what happens when you mismanage a pitcher's career from the getgo. Why did the Reds invest $30M+ for a reliever? Make him a starter and give him enough rest to regain his full velocity.

Unless it's already too late.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Jaypers said:
This is precisely what happens when you mismanage a pitcher's career from the getgo. Why did the Reds invest $30M+ for a reliever? Make him a starter and give him enough rest to regain his full velocity.

Elite relievers are worth 30 million dollars. i know it doesnt equate in the prospecting world but if he was to become an elite closer, the reds have made a sound investment.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I think the idea is long term he is a starter but they have so much pitching already he was moved to the bullpen. Right now they have some injuries and could actually have used him as a starter. I do think they wanted him in MLB ASAP and took the easy way out. If they would have left him a starter all last season and in AAA for 2 to 4 starts this year he would be ready most likely to be a MLB starter.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm a lifelong Reds fan and I watch a ton of games. Chapman does lose some velocity when pitching consecutively.

I know prospectors want him to be a starter to cash in, but I just don't see it. He still has control issues. Plus, I just can't see the guy pitching 5-6 innings or more, every 5 days, throwing 102 MPH+. I've said it since day 1, Chapman would make a great closer. I'm no expert, but with his control issues and mechanics, making him a starter would not be good for his career. Again, I am no expert, but the way he goes about his delivery coupled with trying to throw 100+ MPH almost every pitch does not equate to a starter to me.

I would make him the closer after Cordero is gone.

The Reds already have solid depth at pitcher. Travis Wood and Mike Leake should both be in the rotation for good next season. Wood will probably be there this year, but when Cueto and Bailey come back, Leake is probably going back to Louisville.

As for starters right now, the Reds already have Volquez, Arroyo, Wood, Leake, LeCure, Bailey, and Cueto. When everyone is back healthy, I see the rotation as Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, and Bailey. LeCure is pitching well and Leake is a good starter. That's already 2 additional starters without even trying to work Chapman into the mix.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For the record, I own zero cards of him, so my opinions regarding Chapman have nothing to do with prospecting. (Shocking, ain't it)

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Jaypers said:
For the record, I own zero cards of him, so my opinions have nothing to do with prospecting. (Shocking, ain't it)

Feel free to take it that way if you want, but I was not directing my comments at you specifically. This is far from the first Chapman thread and in a lot of them, prospecting comes up with people complaining about not being able to cash in on a reliever. In the overwhelming majority of Chapman threads, profit comes up.

I make plenty of prospecting comments because I get tired of seeing tons of threads about peoples "investments". That's all. That's not saying anything bad about you or prospecting. I don't care for it and it annoys me, but to each their own. Again, my comment was not directed at any particular person.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
muskiesfan said:
Jaypers said:
For the record, I own zero cards of him, so my opinions have nothing to do with prospecting. (Shocking, ain't it)

Feel free to take it that way if you want, but I was not directing my comments at you specifically. This is far from the first Chapman thread and in a lot of them, prospecting comes up with people complaining about not being able to cash in on a reliever. In the overwhelming majority of Chapman threads, profit comes up.

I make plenty of prospecting comments because I get tired of seeing tons of threads about peoples "investments". That's all. That's not saying anything bad about you or prospecting. I don't care for it and it annoys me, but to each their own. Again, my comment was not directed at any particular person.

You better be at the national! I want to hash this out in person!

:lol:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Lars said:
Is this rantings of the greatest play-by-play man in the game or is there validity to Chapman's velocity drop with him being used on back-to-back nights?

jbhofmann said:

Yes.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Inconsistent mechanics can have big effect on velo as well, especially when pitching on short rest. That should be their number one priority before making any decisions, getting his mechanics somewhat consistent.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
Jaypers said:

Elite relievers are worth 30 million dollars. i know it doesnt equate in the prospecting world but if he was to become an elite closer, the reds have made a sound investment.

Really?-----Closers are like sacks in football----very overrated!

Bob Gibson and Chuck Norris laugh at closers.

Wes

OG
Administrator
muskiesfan said:
I'm a lifelong Reds fan and I watch a ton of games. Chapman does lose some velocity when pitching consecutively.

I know prospectors want him to be a starter to cash in, but I just don't see it. He still has control issues. Plus, I just can't see the guy pitching 5-6 innings or more, every 5 days, throwing 102 MPH+. I've said it since day 1, Chapman would make a great closer. I'm no expert, but with his control issues and mechanics, making him a starter would not be good for his career. Again, I am no expert, but the way he goes about his delivery coupled with trying to throw 100+ MPH almost every pitch does not equate to a starter to me.

I would make him the closer after Cordero is gone.

The Reds already have solid depth at pitcher. Travis Wood and Mike Leake should both be in the rotation for good next season. Wood will probably be there this year, but when Cueto and Bailey come back, Leake is probably going back to Louisville.

As for starters right now, the Reds already have Volquez, Arroyo, Wood, Leake, LeCure, Bailey, and Cueto. When everyone is back healthy, I see the rotation as Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, and Bailey. LeCure is pitching well and Leake is a good starter. That's already 2 additional starters without even trying to work Chapman into the mix.

Closers need to pitch on consecutive days. I don't see any reason that he couldn't dial it down to 97 and pitch 7+ innings. He doesn't need to throw 102 to be an effective starter.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
phillyfan0417 said:
Jaypers said:

Agreed. Look at Rivera.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
The whole "$30MM for a reliever" argument holds no water when you see the contracts mediocre middle relievers sign. $30MM for a potentially plus-plus closer could be a bargain.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thank you, Mr. Law.

JAYPERS (IL)

Thoughts on Chapman's lack of velo?

Klaw (2:27 PM)

Saw the back-to-back velo decline from him last year too. I think it's more evidence he should start - a reliever who can't throw (effectively) on back-to-back days is awfully tough to deploy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts