Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who are YOUR guys that don't play for YOUR team?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'm a Hawkeyes, Vikings and Twins fan, and the crux of my favorite players either play or played for those teams. But I thought it would be interesting to find out which players people here like, that have no affiliation with the teams we know each other for.

In football, I am a big James Laurinaitis fan. He's a Minneapolis guy, played in the Big 10, is a linebacker (which is a position that holds a soft spot for me), and the fact his dad was in the LOD, doesn't hurt either. In the linebacker theme, I also like Brian Urlacher, AJ Hawk, and Clay Matthews a lot - they're in the Vikings division, so I get to see them play quite a bit, and while I won't cheer for their teams, I do like them. I'm also a big Jon Gruden fan - don't know why, because I was never big on the Raiders or Bucs. Just like the guy. And Jerome Bettis, with no good reason either, other than he was just a tank.

Baseball, I love Prince Fielder, probably because of my years bartending in Wisconsin, and always having a Brewers game on in the background. Manny is another favorite, which flies in the face of me also being a bit of a Yankees fan. I loved watching Manny hit, and liked his goofy attitude. It stinks his career ended the way it did, but I guess I'm the type to not dwell on things like that.

In college football, I also follow Nebraska some, just because they remind me a lot of Iowa - no pro teams in the state, so fans are rabid for the college team. Plus, they'll probably be Iowa's new rival with the Big 10 split, and I love a good rivalry. I also like Pac 10 football a lot, and enjoyed watching the 2005 USC team that JH's Longhorns beat for the National Championship. I got into Oregon when Dennis Dixon was there, and still follow them (I'm not claiming to be superfan #1, but they ususally are a fun team to watch), and the Cal Bears, too. My older brother has been a big Sooners fan for life, so while I don't actively cheer for them, I do watch them whenever they're on TV.

Not a big basketball fan, so I'll take the easy answer - I really like Derrick Rose, and have since I would see his games at Memphis. Shane Battier is another favorite, and all-time is probably Charles Barkley.

So, who you guys got?

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
The only guy I really collect that isn't from ND or on the Steelers is Marques Colston. He's from fairly close to me and I've met him at a signing. I guess Holmes too since he's a Jet now.

Yankees fan, favorite all time player though is Mike Schmidt.

76ers fan and I collect Carmelo Anthony a little. Second favorite team is the Celtics, just like watching them play, really like Garnett, West, Pierce...

Barkley rules.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For football, with no relation to the Steelers or Pitt, my favorite player is Jason Taylor. We went to the same church while growing up and he was even my basketball coach the one year when my church played in a tournament at Penn State.

For basketball, even though I'm not a huge fan of the NBA, I've always liked the Spurs going back to when David Robinson played there. Former Pitt star DeJuan Blair plays for them now, so I still try to watch them when they're on TV.

For baseball, I've always liked Frank Thomas and the White Sox.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Re: Who are YOUR guys that don't play for YOUR tea and

As a Colts fan, I'm a big fan of Adrian Peterson and Colston.

As Cubs fan, I'm a big fan of ARod, Ryan Braun and Tim Lincecum.

I'm a Blackhawks fan but I like Steve Downie, Zenon Konopka,

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
mstng99tim said:
For football, with no relation to the Steelers or Pitt, my favorite player is Jason Taylor. We went to the same church while growing up and he was even my basketball coach the one year when my church played in a tournament at Penn State..

Yeah I have a similar connection with Santonio we both buy weed from the same dealer. Its a crazy small world

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
wheeler281 said:
mstng99tim said:
For football, with no relation to the Steelers or Pitt, my favorite player is Jason Taylor. We went to the same church while growing up and he was even my basketball coach the one year when my church played in a tournament at Penn State..

Yeah I have a similar connection with Santonio we both buy weed from the same dealer. Its a crazy small world
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Only guys I'm friends with in real life. Brian Robison, Kelly Johnson, Ryan Langerhans, Ross Ohlendorf, etc

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
#1 would be Vince Young, since he will no longer be with the Titans.

Otherwise, I have players I like, but I wouldn't call them MY guys. Michael Vick, the Manning brothers, Brees, etc.

Edit: Noticed we are doing baseball too. My team would be the Cubs, so my other guys would be:

- Rickie Weeks
- David Wright
- Prince Fielder

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Football : Miami Hurricanes, Dallas Cowboys
I'm a fan of LaRod Stephens-Howling of the Cardinals, as he is local (same graduating class as me from the neighboring town).

I also like Jared Lorenzen, formerly of the Giants and now with an arena team that plays my local one. I was a fan of his since college. He's a big guy (around 300 lbs) who plays quarterback and is left handed. He's kind of like my Jackie Robinson since I'm a fat lefty myself, and he broke down the weight barrier at the QB position.

Last, but not least, I'm partial to Captain Munnerlyn of the Panthers...just because I think that is an awesome name.

Baseball : Chicago White Sox, Pittsburgh Pirates
I'm a big fan of Jim Thome from even before his time with the White Sox. He's a great model of what a pro player should be both on and off the field.

Hockey : Tampa Bay Lightning, Pittsburgh Penguins
My favorite player is Ruslan Fedotenko, who I liked before his time with the Lightning, and still follow through his post-Lightning days. I also find that I stay a fan of quite a few guys who were at one time with the Lightning of Penguins even when they leave, like Dan Boyle and Chris Gratton (who always ends up back with TB :lol: ).

PetestillRose

Jan 6, 2011
Non-Steeler/Hawkeyes - Kurt Warner ( He's local and way cool if you ever encounter him ), I think Toby Gerhart is awesome as well, Isaac Bruce

Non-Bulls - Chris Paul has been my favorite player to watch in the NBA since he's been in the league.

Non-Cubs - There are baseball games other than the ones the Cubs play in? :D Seriously though, I pay little attention unless the Cubbies are on.

Members online

No members online now.