Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has anyone visited a grave site of a former Major Leaguer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I just got to thinking after searching for pics of Dick Siebert, how interesting it would be to find his grave site.

One of the pics on google images, was Siebert in his Gopher uni, and I noticed the URL was "findagrave.com"

I clicked on it, and it showed me where he is buried, what the cemetery looked like, and even had a pic of his headstone. I wish I would have found this yesterday, because that would have been a cool trip.

Has anyone visited any grave sites of deceased Major Leaguers? (doesn't count if they were a relative). Hopefully I get some cool and interesting replies.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've made a pilgrimage to Cap Anson's final resting spot in Oakwoods Cemetary in Chicago. It's an impressive memorial. I made a pencil rubbing of the inscription "He Played The Game."

Anson died in 1922, pretty much broke. Only a small headstone was placed at the grave at the time of his burial.

cap_anson_grave2.jpg

The following year, several of his White Stocking teammates and other National League friends raised funds for a more proper memorial befitting the game's first superstar.

9-6--grave2.jpg
cap_anson_grave.jpg

And just for kicks, here are some photos from his funeral, which was a "Who's Who" gathering of 19th Century Chicago baseball royalty.

Fred Pfeffer and Tom Foley
s063391.jpg

Charles Comisky and Wife
s063392.jpg

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I have thought about checking out John Evers site.He is buried in the city where I reside.I decided against it because it just seems weird.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Here's a weird one. I got an email from a Martinsville, WV man a few months ago to my HackWilson.com site asking me if I had any information about the "Hack Toaster." Seems someone has copied the Edgar Allen Poe tradition and is visiting Hack's gravesite every year on the anniversary of his death and pouring out a drink and leaving a bottle of booze. Hack never did refuse a drink!

wilsonlewis.jpg

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
It is somewhat interesting, but how often to you go to graves? If you go to your great grandparents grave every so often then visiting a great of the past wouldn't be so bad. If you neglect the people who came before you in your own family then spending time searching out grave stones seems kinda creepy.

aupt

Apr 16, 2010
When I was with SCD, one of our ad guys was a grandson of former Milwaukee Braves and N.Y. Giants pitcher Dave Koslo. He's buried over at Menahsa, about an hour east of us. His headstone has a color picture behind thick glass. Part of the inscription reads, "he was something of an iron man." We drove over one afternoon. We ran a picture in my colum in SCD.

Some years ago when I went to Pawnee, Okla., to donate a 1922 Exhibit card of Moses Yellowhorse to the museum there, after using it for illustration in a long feature I wrote in SCD, the retired editor of the local paper took me to Yellowhorse's grave in the "Indian section" of one of the cemeteries.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
abeabe said:
It is somewhat interesting, but how often to you go to graves? If you go to your great grandparents grave every so often then visiting a great of the past wouldn't be so bad. If you neglect the people who came before you in your own family then spending time searching out grave stones seems kinda creepy.

I don't think so.

If we collect pieces of their clothes, and their handwriting, taking a visit to their final resting place isn't very creepy.

Granted, how you act there can determine if it is creepy or not. If you walk up with an alter and start dancing around the place, yes it is creepy. If you just check it out, it doesn't seem to creepy.

Members online

Latest posts