Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So this lady brings some 1952 Topps into the shop to sell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
....and they were glued to pieces of paper.

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

It looks like they were put into a scrapbook, most likely in the early 50's. She managed to peel a few off with varying degrees of success:

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0503.jpg

Any ideas on how to get these off with minimal damage?

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
You'd need to talk to someone with a lot of experience, but glue can be soaked off old cards using water.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
A_Pharis said:
[quote="Old Kentucky Shark":2jzqplky][quote="A_Pharis":2jzqplky]Old glue tends to not come off very easily.

Yeah, I knew that going in. But if nothing else, I'll keep them. I don't see many 52 Topps walk into the shop. ;)[/quote:2jzqplky]

Was Hoyt Wilhelm in the group?[/quote:2jzqplky]

Nope, afraid not.

It's 60 cards total. The best one being the Duke.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
Brewer Andy said:
Color is nice and sharp on those, still a neat find Shark! How's the shop doing?

Thanks! It's going ok...the card market is pretty slow around here right now. I'm planning some promotions to start getting more people in the door.

Yeah, for what I paid for them, they are just cool to have.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
Soaking cards generally only works on Pre-war cards, especially lithos like the T206 set. 1952 Topps cards when soaked usually separate into two pieces. As someone already said the board members over at net54 could probably help you better. Good Luck!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Jastermereel said:
You'd need to talk to someone with a lot of experience, but glue can be soaked off old cards using water.

DO NOT SOAK THESE CARDS!!

Many of the old tobacco cards can be soaked with no problem but Topps cards will disintegrate like toilet paper. Get a hair dryer or a heat gun and slowly heat up the surface (without getting it too hot) and as the paste or glue melts you should be able to use a tweezers to slowly peel the paper away. There will still be a stain but the cards should remain intact.

edited to add my agreement with the net54 guys, they will be able to assist. much more.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The only way you can soak these cards is with special inorganic solvents that aren't easy to come by. Definitely avoid soaking unless you pay a professional.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
BunchOBull said:
The only way you can soak these cards is with special inorganic solvents that aren't easy to come by. Definitely avoid soaking unless you pay a professional.

Mind sharing what you paid for them? The color on them is amazing!

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
darrend505 said:
BunchOBull said:

Mind sharing what you paid for them? The color on them is amazing!

I paid $50 for the lot. I explained to her the book value of them and how they would be difficult to sell assuming I can even remove them from the pages.

Members online

No members online now.