Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hockey Prospecting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
Hi all,

I don't post here much, but do like to read all of the different prospecting threads in the Baseball section. Being from Canada, i've always wondered if it is possible to prospect hockey cards? I thought about trying it this year and looked at 2 guys - Brian Elliott, and Bryan Little. Both are doing well and I believe have seen price increases. I do not believe the profits are Ryan Braun-esque, but I was mainly looking to see if anyone had some hockey prospecting storeis to share? I'm curious to see if it would work.

Thanks all! Happy collecting :)

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
The biggest obstacle that I see is that the player needs to make it into an NHL game before he is printed on a card. Whereas in baseball, you can begin collecting cards of a player in A ball, and watch them progress.

I think there is potential to make some money by finding guys in the minors who had a short call up the season before.

Autismic

Aug 7, 2008
I Love Monsanto
there's also money in seeing talent in a young hockey player in the NHL who has yet to take the next step. most players can take around 3-4 years to figure out their place in the league. It's just knowing(or thinking you know) who has the potential to be the next young gun. Look at how fast Mason and Filatov took off. they were cheap when they first came out. Filatov will be a great player.
I just find it easier with hockey as players have,for the most part,true RC's. Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE baseball prospector but I love hockey more and find it easier. Getting to see players live and on a local level with hockey here in Halifax helps as well. The Q and the O are great ways to see the kids before they make the jump to the bigs.

Love the TTM too

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
adamcm said:
Hi all,

I don't post here much, but do like to read all of the different prospecting threads in the Baseball section. Being from Canada, i've always wondered if it is possible to prospect hockey cards? I thought about trying it this year and looked at 2 guys - Brian Elliott, and Bryan Little. Both are doing well and I believe have seen price increases. I do not believe the profits are Ryan Braun-esque, but I was mainly looking to see if anyone had some hockey prospecting storeis to share? I'm curious to see if it would work.

Thanks all! Happy collecting :)

Brain Elliot is going to be awesome, keep collecting him.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I'm a baseball prospector at heart but have been getting into hockey lately. The only hockey I break each year is The Cup. But I've gotten into hockey prospecting and have picked up several nice pieces. So hi to everyone on the hockey boards (even though no one ever posts) and hopefully we'll talk down the road. The scans below are some of my recent pick-ups.

Allen

SterlingBlackJasonHeyward16-1.jpg
SterlingBlackJasonHeyward16-1-1.jpg

cup1.jpg
0876_1.jpg

rask-1.jpg
setoguchiexclusive.jpg

krejci187.jpg
cogliano10.jpg

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
DetroitTigers said:
WOW any of those Elliotts for trade, I have some baseball prospects I can trade towards them.

Sorry but didn't see anything in your bucket. You have to have more cards right?

Allen

ktothep

Aug 7, 2008
You can certainly prospect hockey. I have a few guys i have prospected. I have a nice amount of Bobby Ryan stuff. His cards were really cheap last year, so I picked some up. His cards have seen a significant increase so far this year with his solid play. Once i have my stash scanned, i will share.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Autismic said:
man Setoguchi stuff was dirt cheap last year and last summer..I'm glad I bought a bunch of his stuff..hopefully they go deep into the playoffs

I'm kicking myself for not buying Setoguchi stuff! I have no idea why I didn't.

ktothep

Aug 7, 2008
Bruin7 that is a nice Setoguchi patch. I wish I would have bought more of him too, was planning on it but never did. I have like two of his autos (Hot Prospects and SP Authentic), but i do have one of his young guns plates (cyan i think). Still not sure when is the best time to unload that guy.

Joeed10

Aug 10, 2008
Nice patches

I have just started getting into hockey and interested in prospecting some. I picked up a couple of Berglund RC's but I got in probably later than I should to make much. Since I'm in STL Im trying to do the Blues so hope for Oshie to come around

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
Add me to the list of those who wished they'd invested in Setoguchi. I made a decision in the summer to choose between two players and buy a couple of Ice /99 rookies. My two choices were: Mike Foligno and Setoguchi. I chose wrong (at least for now).

My biggest worry about buying into Setoguchi and guys like Bobby Ryan were the markets they play in. I realize that San Jose and Anaheim do quite well for teams down south, but imagine if Bobby Ryan played in Toronto. Does team location factor much into hockey prospecting?

ktothep

Aug 7, 2008
adamcm said:
Add me to the list of those who wished they'd invested in Setoguchi. I made a decision in the summer to choose between two players and buy a couple of Ice /99 rookies. My two choices were: Mike Foligno and Setoguchi. I chose wrong (at least for now).

My biggest worry about buying into Setoguchi and guys like Bobby Ryan were the markets they play in. I realize that San Jose and Anaheim do quite well for teams down south, but imagine if Bobby Ryan played in Toronto. Does team location factor much into hockey prospecting?

I am pretty sure that market plays a big factor just like baseball. Canadian teams are the best market for hockey. If Bobby Ryan were drafted by a Canadian team, i probabaly would've only picked up a few of his autos because his prices out of the gate would have been a lot higher. Another big reason that i prospected Ryan was because he is a local guy.

jubei777

Aug 7, 2008
i think last year's "rc" crop in the UD products is probably one of the more successful ones in quite a while. there were the big stars in kane-toews-backstrom but also the sleepers that didn't really kick in until this year of setoguchi, krejci, lucic, ryan, little, etc. i'm actually kicking myself for not picking up more base rc's when the cup came out.

talking about current year, this crop looks pretty thin but with some promise. not sure if stamkos will live up to the hype but schenn and doughty both look solid.

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008
I am currently loading up on ones players SpX cards, check back in 2 weeks and I should have a nice stash :mrgreen:

also here is a name for you guys who are interested:

Ondrej Pavelec

top 5 goalie prospect whose cards go unbid...

Members online

Latest posts