Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aight a question for you guys.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
So I was sitting here thinking about stuff this afternoon and decided to browse the roster for the local Indians minor league team. Saw that Pomeranz is on the roster. I have an EEE Emerald Status diecut of him and thought it might be a nice piece to have signed IP. However, I have NEVER had a card signed at a ballpark and have no clue about pens and/or ways to prep a card for such thing. Does anyone know what pen would work the best on an EEE type card stock and have any of you had any of the 2010 EEE cards signed? What prep work did you have to do for the auto?

Additionally, would it even be a smart move to have that card signed? I know the non auto'd status versions don't usually sell for much......sooo......what'dya think?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I like a medium tip Sharpie on cards. Its bold enough to see it well, but not too bold that it all looks like a blur.

I always try a marker on a crap card before deciding if it is what I want to use. There are many other types of markers to use, more experienced In-Person seekers could probably tell you of better ones.

azbaseballfan

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
The baby powder trick works for me. just put a little on the surface, rub it around and wipe it off. It doesn't damage or scratch the card and it makes almost all sharpie/pen stick.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Not a fan of baby powder. I have had better results just rubbing the card all over with my thumb.

To OP, buy a few sharpies, lumocolor and practice on some common cards from set and see what you like and what works best for you.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
No offense, but if you get better results from your thumb than baby powder then you're not doing it right

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I'm not a fan of staedtler, they can leave scratch marks if they come into contact with just about anything. Vis a Vis us to make a permanent marker that was the bomb. Unfortunately they stopped producing those back in 2003. Take a brand new sharpie and run it over a few practice cards until the ink is flowing.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
tikitomoka said:
No offense, but if you get better results from your thumb than baby powder then you're not doing it right

I've had some that had bubble and streaky autos from baby powder method. Just rubbing them down good, never had a problem.

Best thing to do is experiment on surfaces and using different markers and see what floats your boat.

Older cards like that Stadium Club dont need any prep.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
jrinne said:
I'm not a fan of staedtler, they can leave scratch marks if they come into contact with just about anything.

Huh?

Topps uses Lumocolor.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
In my opinion baby powder is the way to go. I used baby powder on all of these cards, which were pretty glossy, before having them signed:

AhmanGreenJersey.jpg
AhmanGreen.jpg
DerrickMartin_0001.jpg
Refractor.jpg
RedRefractor.jpg

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
tikitomoka said:
They scratch on non-prepped cards.

I guess I need a picture.

I don't know how a marker is going to scratch a card.

My EEE which is the same card that Brian wants to get signed was not scratched, and was with a staedler.

Members online

Latest posts