Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS rates higher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
1st class parcel prices went up.

Old rates were $1.22 for one ounce, $1.39 for 2 oz and $1.56 for 3 oz.

Now it's $1.71 for any weight up to 3 oz.

Saw this on another site and didn't see anything listed here so I thought I'd post it. And ebay is going to start taxing their percentage out of shipping fees as costs are going up. This is getting freaking redonkulous.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
ebay shipping rates compared to post office rates 3oz-
Post Office Price: $1.71 + $0.80 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $2.51
eBay and PayPal Label price: $1.56 + $0.19 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $1.75

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
bigalbert said:

You beat me to it. Why anyone would not ship through paypal is beyond me.

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008
It actually doesn't surprise me. With the rapidly escalating cost of fuel, the USPS is not going to absorb the profit loss from this latest (last 6 months) gas increase. Here, gas has gone from 6 months ago $3.24/gallon to today..$3.77.

I am sure when the USPS determines their delivery costs, fuel is definitely a factor when calculating their profit margin and when this profit margin gets pinched by higher fuel costs, the cost of delivery is without a doubt, sure to go up. It is insane and very frustrating at the very least.

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008
matchpenalty said:
We still have by far best mailing service than any other country.
I'm sure you were just stating a point but the point here is the rising postage costs. Your comment is along the same lines of, if it snowed in Maine every single day for 30 straight days and someone said...."What the hell, its snowed here for freekin 30 straight days" and you came along and said ..."yeah, but we got the best snow plows in the entire country here". See my point, it is the cost of the postage not the service we are talking about here. Also, I'm not sure many of us can debate if we do have the best mailing service than any other country so I will take your word for it.

I think the problem here is, more and more people are getting pissed off because everything is going up so rapidly by 15-20% every 6 months or so and when you go into get your yearly review at your job, you are lucky to get the standard 2-4% increase. Things are rapidly falling apart in this country and right now, we're just picking on the Postal Service.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
They raised postage rates?

Good.

The USPS operates at a loss every single day. Since it's federally owned and funded, that means it's contributing to the national debt.

Every. Single. Day.

So good. Raise them even higher. I still have to get stuff from place to place. I'll pay it.

G

Good. Raise it up. I'm tired of people complaining about twenty cents like it means anything. Some of the cheapest people I know I've met through this hobby.

Just because you can list something on eBay doesn't mean you're a dealer. Grow up. Put the dreams aside. If this means anything to you, you shouldn't be in this to begin with.

As for eBay wanting free shipping? Good. They should make it mandatory. Again if eating $5 or less on shipping makes or breaks you get out. Seriously. Stop listing cards nobody wants.

Get real cards that are worth real money and then stop crying.

Every day I come on here and I see a ton of whining over amounts of money that can't buy me lunch. Are you all poor? Can it be possible? Are me and Wossa the only ones who can throw a little coin around and not care? Seriously. I'm getting sick of the cheapness.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Chris Levy said:
Good. Raise it up. I'm tired of people complaining about twenty cents like it means anything. Some of the cheapest people I know I've met through this hobby.

Just because you can list something on eBay doesn't mean you're a dealer. Grow up. Put the dreams aside. If this means anything to you, you shouldn't be in this to begin with.

As for eBay wanting free shipping? Good. They should make it mandatory. Again if eating $5 or less on shipping makes or breaks you get out. Seriously. Stop listing cards nobody wants.

Get real cards that are worth real money and then stop crying.

Every day I come on here and I see a ton of whining over amounts of money that can't buy me lunch. Are you all poor? Can it be possible? Are me and Wossa the only ones who can throw a little coin around and not care? Seriously. I'm getting sick of the cheapness.

Wow. Really? I really hope you're being facetious.

For low-end collectors like me, every penny counts. I wish it was just so easy to acquire cards that are worth real money, but sadly it's not, especially for someone like me, who's a broke student. I sell my cards, no matter their quality, to help pay for gas money, food, etc. Collecting is subjective to everyone, and not everyone can afford the big dollar cards. But it's nice to get top dollar for your cards, so you turn to eBay, and even try to sell low, low end stuff for $.01 and shipping. Having $1 extra in your PayPal when it's all said and done is worth it to me.

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
Imagine how many people were getting away with paying for 1 0z price when it was probably 3 or 4 Oz through ebay/paypal shipping. Oh well. All good things come to an end.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
prospectorgems said:
bigalbert said:

You beat me to it. Why anyone would not ship through paypal is beyond me.
i have never shipped via paypal

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
prospectorgems said:
I didn't notice any rate increases while shipping through paypal. Are you saying that there will be an increase in the future?

I went to the USPS site and their current postage rates PDF says "effective April 17, 2011" so obviously some rate changes happened Sunday (instead of May when a lot of rates seem to take place in recent years).

I don't know why the newspaper or tv or radio didn't mention there would be new postal rates effective Sunday unless it's because noone cares because the postcard, letter, and bubble mailer/large envelope rates seem to have remained the same.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
The change went into place late last night or early this morning. It now costs $1.75 to send a 1 oz bubble mailer with DC as opposed to $1.41.

Members online