Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Mariano Rivera a Top 5 All-Time Yankee?

Is Mariano Rivera an All-Time Top 5 Yankee?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I was thinking about this while listening to Mariano Rivera close out another win earlier tonite.

I will say, as a non-Yankees' fan, I've always thought that he was under-appreciated, even though he plays in New York. Of the last fifteen years of the Yankees' return to perennial power, I think Mo has been their best overall player.

Most people agree on the Top 4, in some kind of order: Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Gehrig. But after that, it gets kinda cloudy. Maybe Munson, Berra, Ford, Dickey etc.

Just wondering what the FCBers think...

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
gt2590 said:
I was thinking about this while listening to Mariano Rivera close out another win earlier tonite.

I will say, as a non-Yankees' fan, I've always thought that he was under-appreciated, even though he plays in New York. Of the last fifteen years of the Yankees' return to perennial power, I think Mo has been their best overall player.

Most people agree on the Top 4, in some kind of order: Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Gehrig. But after that, it gets kinda cloudy. Maybe Munson, Berra, Ford, Dickey etc.

Just wondering what the FCBers think...

jeter too

G

I voted "No," but I believe Reggie Jackson last year said he was.

The top 4 are locked in at Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... in chronological order to keep the drama to a minimum.

Personally I've got Berra plugged in at #5 because of all those rings. It's ridiculous. Let's see if Jeter can get to 3500+ hits.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I think YES I hate Yanks but the other guys came from a
different time. The closer role he he has dominated like no other.
Just look at how many people leave when he comes in
knowing the game is OVER. St Louis is very jealous
with him we could have added at least 20 wins over last 3 years

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I voted no.

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, ............ that's four that can't be argued. I'm taking the field for the fifth over Rivera, too many more worthy candidates, IMO

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I would say no. When I think of the New York Yankees, I think of Hensley Meulens, or Bam Bam as you may know him.
Definitely Top 10, though, for Rivera.

lonesomeagle1

Aug 7, 2008
Northwest NJ
hoopster3977 said:
Top ten, Yes. Top five, no.

My feelings also. As a Yankee fan I think there are a few candidates for that 5th spot.
Berra is a more likely candidate. Ford, Jeter, Munson, Dickey, Scooter, Catfish are all top 10 in my book.
Pete

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Those are my top 5 also. Jeter could be ahead of Yogi when it is all said and done

Chris Levy said:
I voted "No," but I believe Reggie Jackson last year said he was.

The top 4 are locked in at Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... in chronological order to keep the drama to a minimum.

Personally I've got Berra plugged in at #5 because of all those rings. It's ridiculous. Let's see if Jeter can get to 3500+ hits.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
No. I still put Mattingly above him as well. Back when he was playing Mattingly owned that city.

sports-vault

Apr 6, 2011
Oyster Bay, NY
Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D, Mantle, RIVERA, Jeter and Yogi...thats my 1-7

Mo DOMINATED the sport for over15 years and still dominates today. He's the greatest Yankee pitcher of all time, Period!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Mo has been tremendous, but the reality is that a reliever does not have close to the impact that a starter has, (I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there are statisticians that have broken it down.) There's a slew of guys I'd take before Mo if I was looking at game-changing impact on a raw numbers level. As far a player who was a fixture on the team, was a symbol of class, the best at his "position" etc. he's up there.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
In this era it's hard to put Mo over Jeter as the face of the Yankees. You don't see Rivera sucks T shirts in Boston, but you see plenty of Jeter sucks one's. Some that also say A Rod Swallows on the back.... So clever....

Members online

Latest posts