Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BEST--SPILLER--MATHEWS: wHO AND WHY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I was thinking about these three backs and wondered who has the best opportunity to have a breakout year. They all came highly touted but injuries slowed them and people turned their attention tothe productive Blount. Although Spiller stuff is relatively inexpensive and best is even lower, I think Mathews will breakout because of the team around him. Spiller is an attractive buy, but Buffalo has a ways to go and a QB is desparately needed. I hope Best doesn't pull a Kevin Smith [injury-prone]

thoughts?

cardboardfixation

Apr 5, 2011
New York
Ryan Mathews because of the reasons that you stated... I think that even though Buffalo says that they are happy with Fitz, they will be drafting a QB to groom... Mathews is the more durable back of the two IMO... Its going to take Buffalo a few years to straighten things out over there, unless they get a QB that steps in right away, and they draft a couple of lineman that are ready to go... They could probably use a young WR too...

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I'd probably go with Mathews as well.

If Detroit continues to improve - I can see Best getting some love as well. I'm not sure he'll be a great featured back, but he's a big play threat and can be a highlight-reel type guy in a complementary all-purpose type role. As I mentioned, I think how the team plays will factor into how much attention a guy like that winds up getting.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Mathews has the better offense around him, so I would put him above Best. The Lions COULD have a good offense if Stafford stays healthy, so Best has a chance to be a really good back. The Bills just suck, I feel bad for Spiller.

cardboardfixation

Apr 5, 2011
New York
rymflaherty said:
I'd probably go with Mathews as well.

If Detroit continues to improve - I can see Best getting some love as well. I'm not sure he'll be a great featured back, but he's a big play threat and can be a highlight-reel type guy in a complementary all-purpose type role. As I mentioned, I think how the team plays will factor into how much attention a guy like that winds up getting.

I agree with this... I didn't mention Best.... Detroit is an up-and-coming squad... Turf toe screwed him up this year, along with Stafford going down... But Stafford's shoulder is supposedly better...

jet0002

Aug 7, 2008
Pelham, AL
People forget that Ben Tate was probably going to start last year before he got hurt before the season started. But then again I am a little biased. :cool:

cardboardfixation

Apr 5, 2011
New York
jet0002 said:
People forget that Ben Tate was probably going to start last year before he got hurt before the season started. But then again I am a little biased. :cool:

Out of all of the RBs from the 2010 class, I've mostly bought Ben Tate's cards...

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
I liek Best and Matthews in that order. Spillers great speed was great for college. However he hit and go down back. In the NFL that does not equate to being a good nfl back. .. His speed will not make up the difference at this level

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
cardboardfixation said:
jet0002 said:

Out of all of the RBs from the 2010 class, I've mostly bought Ben Tate's cards...

I too have picked up a few Ben Tate's [Topps Chrome Gold Ref Auto/Black Ref Auto's to name a few. However, Arian Foster ended all talk about the Texans needing a RB.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I actually like Best a lot - I saw him run all over the Gophers when he was in college, back in 2009, and I really think he can be a great pro. Now he's in the Vikings' division, and I'm afraid he'll continue his trend of running all over Minnesota football teams. I like the guy a lot, though, and have picked up a couple of his autos just to have.

cardboardfixation

Apr 5, 2011
New York
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
cardboardfixation said:
jet0002 said:

I too have picked up a few Ben Tate's [Topps Chrome Gold Ref Auto/Black Ref Auto's to name a few. However, Arian Foster ended all talk about the Texans needing a RB.

Im with you, as I own a couple of copies of each of those among many others (seriously)...While Foster had a great season last year (and he came out of nowhere), the Texans will probably feature both backs next year... Ben Tate is very talented... When given the chance, he will prove that he is as effective, if not more effective, than Foster... Vegas odds had him as the third or fourth most likely to get offensive rookie of the year before he got hurt...

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
I would never root bad things. I guess I could be a victim of the moment. I hope he does well

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
Card Magnet said:
Am I the only one not sold on Mathews? I think Tolbert is the better of the two in San Diego. There, I said it.

He is definately in the best situation but I'm not sold on Mathews either. I love Spiller but for him to up his game to NFL level with the Bills will be nearly impossible. Would love to say Spiller but will go with Best for now.

Latest posts