Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seriously who is in charge at Ebay?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
I am not going to rehash any of the other criticisms that ebay has gotten in the last few months, but wanted to let you know of a new one. I am on the dreaded seller limits list and am able to sell 12 items of $400.00 a month. This sucks, but I have been on COMC for 3 years so that helps and every now and then I sell on here or at a show. Every month I list my 12 auctions and hit close to my $400.00 limit. I think in June I will by free of my limits as my DSR score should reset back to 0. Not going to get into any argument over my S&H charges gaining me 1's or 2's, but you would think with 3100 positives and 0 negatives, I would be an exemplary seller. Ever since the craziness started 6 months ago, I was proactive and changed my policies to free S&H but still caught the wrath and was limited.

This month I sold a 5 box lot of basketball boxes to a buyer from China. I conversed several times with him and due to the amount being $222.00 I told him I would credit him $10.00 of a shipping discount but he would have to pay for international priority or express with tracking. He agreed and I just waited for his payment. After a week I still did not receive so I reminded him without sending him a NPB claim, I didn't want to rock the boat. He informed me he would get the payment to me soon. I waited another 5 days and just said screw it and offered to cancel transaction. He immediately accepted. I did not claim NPB because he was in China and I didn't want to deal with worst case scenario.

Ebay canceled transaction and gave me back my FVF. I went to re-list the item and was notified that due to my seller restrictions of $400.00 per month. I would not be able to. I checked and they did not deduct the $222 from this amount. After calling them and talking to a CSR I was informed that even though the transaction was canceled, it would count against my monthly limit. I asked her if then all my auctions were purchased by people that would be NRU'd or didn't pay, I would be penalized also and not be allowed to re-list, she said yes. I asked her to logically explain to me how this made sense. She couldn't, instead she read to me about how this is my opportunity to work on my DSR and blah blah blah. I told her she could stop reading, which she said ok and stopped mid sentence and asked her how this situation could help improve my DSR rating. After hearing her apologize over and over, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I then was put on hold and started writing this rant. At the 30 minute mark, my phone was just disconnected from ebay while still on hold.

If it wasn't for paypal profits, these folks would be scrambling.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
careerbuildercomchimpanze.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Their policies are silly and one-sided at best.

It takes very little consideration into actual improvement and trends...the only two things of importance.

It's very possible to get some dings on shipping price (although clearly posted in the auctions and should absolutely not be up for comment or rating) while selling a couple hundred items a month and get your account limited.

During that time, you can offer free shipping, but only able to sell 20 or so items making it almost impossible to resolve the percentage within the restrictions...therefore making the restriction period last longer even though you've clearly corrected the issue.

It's asinine. eBay is skewed so far out of whack and couldn't care less. I had one ass clown open two item not received cases when DC# showed it had already delivered days before...4 days after he paid.

Another was a Canadian ***** who filed an "Item Not Received" and after posting the Customs Form that showed entry into their system two weeks prior to this, ended up winning the dispute...a week later sold the item for more. Since that Canada debacle, I've sworn off Canada because you're screwed no matter what. Just flip the coin...one side you'll get dinged on shipping price because you have to have tracking (and then get restricted) or roll the dice with the Customs system and give out free shipping and get screwed when it takes 3 weeks to walk across the border in snow shoes (hello restrictions).

Either way, eBay is a necessary evil...and they know it.

My advice? Buy some shares and go to a meeting.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Wish some genius (not sarcastic) would make an app for a legitimate auction site for Facebook because ebay is so _____________. (You fill in the blank)

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I have never heard of a company trying so hard to get rid of their bread and butter. I understand wanting good sellers, but these draconian measures are just completely illogical. They make their money from people selling things, yet are going out of their way to stop people from selling things. It's absurd.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
I have never heard of a company trying so hard to get rid of their bread and butter. I understand wanting good sellers, but these draconian measures are just completely illogical. They make their money from people selling things, yet are going out of their way to stop people from selling things. It's absurd.

Well put, my thoughts exactly. The amount of money they are losing due to these policies and horrible customer service is insane. They know everyone currently has to deal with it because there is no other way to get your items in front of so many people. I pray someday something will come in that will shake up the auction game.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Crewfan82 said:
Well put, my thoughts exactly. The amount of money they are losing due to these policies and horrible customer service is insane. They know everyone currently has to deal with it because there is no other way to get your items in front of so many people. I pray someday something will come in that will shake up the auction game.

Except that only 7.6% of the cards listed are actually auctions right now, LOL.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
The problem is that eBay has way too much into DSR's and the only people who actually fully understand DSR's are on card sites like this. I highly doubt that the "average" collector which is the biggest section of the people who by cards on eBay understands that $2-$3 is a very reasonable price to properly ship a card.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
alabamalongsnake said:
And if you try and save on shipping like reusing mailers people have a fit.

You can't win.
I do and no one has really made a big deal out of it...................Well ok there was 2 people but they don't count :lol:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Want to see something else ridiculous from the monkeys at eBay?

I went to list a card w/ a BIN of $999.99 and it told me I couldn't do it. I guess the dumb "seller limits" they set puts it above my dollar limit for the month.

So, I go to my seller dashboard to see what my status is....and I get this:

ebayWTF.jpg

It says I am ABOVE STANDARD, yet when you hover over the orange flag, it says AT RISK.

Really eBay???? UGH!

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
NECpilgrims8 said:

I went to list a card w/ a BIN of $999.99 and it told me I couldn't do it. I guess the dumb "seller limits" they set puts it above my dollar limit for the month.

ebayWTF.jpg

It says I am ABOVE STANDARD, yet when you hover over the orange flag, it says AT RISK.

Really eBay???? UGH!

I've gotten the $228 / 20 item limit. . . despite the fact that over the past 3 months I've done nothing but offer free shipping and gotten items out literally no later than 18 hours after payment... still get the same drones at eBay telling me to work on my DSRs.

There is no way to speak with anyone . . . It's hard to want to keep buying things to eventually flip when there's no avenue to flip. eBay doesn't seem to realize that by limiting the sellers, they're limiting the buyers as well.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

ebayWTF.jpg

Really eBay???? UGH!

I've gotten the $228 / 20 item limit. . . despite the fact that over the past 3 months I've done nothing but offer free shipping and gotten items out literally no later than 18 hours after payment... still get the same drones at eBay telling me to work on my DSRs.

There is no way to speak with anyone . . . It's hard to want to keep buying things to eventually flip when there's no avenue to flip. eBay doesn't seem to realize that by limiting the sellers, they're limiting the buyers as well.

This has been my limit each month....BUT if you list a BIN for $1000 and it doesn't sell, it STILL counts against your limit.

eBayWTF2.jpg

Makes zero sense to me. If an item sells, then it means you're hitting your total allowed. If you list and it doesn't sell, you're getting ZERO $$$ and eBay is getting your listing fees.

So, based on the pic above, I can only list a BIN of $159 or list 14 auction items at .99 each. ~awesome~

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

ebayWTF.jpg

Really eBay???? UGH!

This has been my limit each month....BUT if you list a BIN for $1000 and it doesn't sell, it STILL counts against your limit.

eBayWTF2.jpg

Makes zero sense to me. If an item sells, then it means you're hitting your total allowed. If you list and it doesn't sell, you're getting ZERO $$$ and eBay is getting your listing fees.

So, based on the pic above, I can only list a BIN of $159 or list 14 auction items at .99 each. ~awesome~

I've played with the limits. . . if you end your BIN item early, or it doesn't sell, it falls off of your limit.

For example, I have a $228 limit. If I have have sold $50 and have a BIN (previously listed) for $200, I'm at $250 and can't sell any more. If I cancel the auction for $200, or it closes with no buyers, the $200 falls off and I"m able to list/sell another $178.

Don't even try to make any logic of eBay. With your $999.96 currently listed, yes, you can only now do a BIN of $159. However if you cancel some of your other listings, you can list more.

Or just change the existing auction description/picture/BIN.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I really do feel bad for a lot of you guys on here that sell on eBay. There has been such a swing to the buyers side that it is getting ridiculously tough on sellers. I very rarely sell, but when I do, I don't think eBay will be where I go anymore.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
muskiesfan said:
I really do feel bad for a lot of you guys on here that sell on eBay. There has been such a swing to the buyers side that it is getting ridiculously tough on sellers. I very rarely sell, but when I do, I don't think eBay will be where I go anymore.

Truth be told, I've had some good experiences on the FCB.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Jeff N. said:
muskiesfan said:

Truth be told, I've had some good experiences on the FCB.
yah when you can find people that will pay Ebay prices. To many want it for half of Ebay.

Members online