Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It seems not many 80/90s RCs sell constantly over $10.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
By RC I mean plain raw rookie cards in Nr/Mt or better condition, no parallels, rookie inserts, graded stuff, minor league or oddball. And by consistently I mean at least 95% of the time. I know 80s stuff tanked, but even 90s RCs aren't doing well anymore. This is what comes to mind

1. Rickey Henderson 1980 Topps
2. Cal Ripken 1982 Topps
3. Cal Ripken 1982 Topps Traded
4. Don Mattingly 1984 Donruss
5. Kirby Puckett 1984 Fleer Update
6. Roger Clemens 1984 Fleer Update
7. Ken Griffey Jr. 1989 Upper Deck
8. Mike Piazza 1992 Bowman & Fleer Update
9. Mariano Rivera 1992 Bowman
10. Derek Jeter has a few from 1993
11. Alex Rodriguez has a few from 1994
12. Vladimir Guererro 1995 Bowman's Best
13. Roy Halladay 1997 Bowman Chrome

Really this is all that comes to mind. There's a couple here I not totally convinced of. Are there any others I'm forgetting? Outside of a handful of players from the 90s, nobody goes for big bucks anymore. Maybe it's cause people only like graded stuff from that era.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
My four reasons

1.) Overproduction

2.) Graded card explosion of the late 1990s, where everything and anything was graded in hopes of a '10' hasn't been sustained. Left are floods graded cards which are perfectly collectible at '8s' or '9's, but are essentially worthless.

3.) The 'greats' of the 80s and 90s have retired, have been exposed under the PED cloud and/or have mostly faded away.

4.) The Internet has made finding cards SO much easier - the perceived value of mainstream cards from the last 25-30 years have taken a hit.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
outofluckandmoney said:
i think everybody wants autographed rookie cards at this point

I don't think anyone cares about 80s and 90s RC's that didn't have auto rookies its just the cards were printed in huge excesses compared to today's players.

There were millions of 89 UD Griffey RCs printed. The fact it sells for $30 raw is a testament to how freaking popular that card is. Think about how many RC's of today's stars printed under 500 that can't break 50 bucks.

The other fact is that starting in the 80s, there was more card protection out there for people to use so cards of stars survived in greater numbers in Mint condition versus previous decades. Late 90's early 2000's there was a small explosion in value of Gem Mint 80's RC pricing but that was a bubble.

Also, there are wharehouses still full of 80s material of all years. It won't run dry anytime soon.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden and 1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry both consistently sell for over $10.

A lot of Topps Tiffany RCs sell for over $10 too: Puckett, Clemens, McGwire, Bonds, Maddux, Griffey, Gooden, Strawberry, Van Slyke

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I noticed yesterday that a Mo Rivera 92 Bowman was at $27 with some time to go. But for the most part, yeah even the mighty 90 Leaf and 92 Bowman has fallen off the map. Partly due to the fact that most of those players are retired and out of the spotlight. Happens in most generations. Will happen again with this crop of stars in 15 years.

~AJ

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The same number of cards of today's stars - millions - are produced today as years ago, they're just spread over many more brands. Finding a current year Pujols or Jeter card is just as easy to do today as finding a Ryan or Mattingly twenty years ago.

Plus there's another type of overproduction. I don't know why people would think FYs or RCs should garner that big a premium when the best players on that list have or will have thousands...or even tens of thousands of cards produced even *after* they retire... drawing money and attention away from cards they had when they were in the MLB or in the MiLB. It also doesn't help when Topps uses and reuses the same player pictures across brands.

morgoth said:
I don't think anyone cares about 80s and 90s RC's that didn't have auto rookies its just the cards were printed in huge excesses compared to today's players.

There were millions of 89 UD Griffey RCs printed. The fact it sells for $30 raw is a testament to how freaking popular that card is. Think about how many RC's of today's stars printed under 500 that can't break 50 bucks.

The other fact is that starting in the 80s, there was more card protection out there for people to use so cards of stars survived in greater numbers in Mint condition versus previous decades. Late 90's early 2000's there was a small explosion in value of Gem Mint 80's RC pricing but that was a bubble.

Also, there are wharehouses still full of 80s material of all years. It won't run dry anytime soon.

Members online

Latest posts