Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Topps high end products will remain a joke until either a) these players are permanently removed from the checklists, or b) the price comes down by about 50%

Nathan

Mar 15, 2011
chashawk said:
For the same reason as Max Scherzer, Sal Bando, Chone Figgins, et al

Sal Bando belongs in tribute :) not sure why you have him listed there with Scherzer and Figgins

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

Sal Bando belongs in tribute :) not sure why you have him listed there with Scherzer and Figgins

And Scherzer is 3-0. This will be his breakout season.

You better recognize!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
P_Manning 18 said:
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

You better recognize!

Scherzer is a very talented pitcher but I don't think that means his $3 autograph belongs in a $325+ product. Same goes for the other guys...it's no disrespect to them as players, it's simply that that's basically topps purposely kicking their supporters in the nuts by sticking them with literally a 1% ROI on these particular cards.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
This is why Topps Tribute is an absolute horrible value. If I'm going to spend $300+ on a box of cards, I'm going to buy a box of Bowman Sterling. IMO, Sterling has much better ROI than tribute. I've bought three packs of Tribute and the best card was a John Smoltz Jersey Auto. Three packs was enough for me.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":d9syv466]
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

You better recognize!

Scherzer is a very talented pitcher but I don't think that means his $3 autograph belongs in a $325+ product. Same goes for the other guys...it's no disrespect to them as players, it's simply that that's basically topps purposely kicking their supporters in the nuts by sticking them with literally a 1% ROI on these particular cards.[/quote:d9syv466]

They are filler. The product would be 525+ if it contained nothing but marquee players and they still produced the same amount.

You guys think these stars or their estates do this stuff for free? (Not pointed at you All_The_Hype)

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
sheetskout said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":24zis3j2]
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

You better recognize!

Scherzer is a very talented pitcher but I don't think that means his $3 autograph belongs in a $325+ product. Same goes for the other guys...it's no disrespect to them as players, it's simply that that's basically topps purposely kicking their supporters in the nuts by sticking them with literally a 1% ROI on these particular cards.

They are filler. The product would be 525+ if it contained nothing but marquee players and they still produced the same amount.

You guys think these stars or their estates do this stuff for free? (Not pointed at you All_The_Hype)[/quote:24zis3j2]

It kind of goes to show how sheepish most collectors are. In my opinion, this product usually sucks(though this year it's better)-but, people still continue to buy it.

Until Topps actually pays for the crap they are producing(by people not buying the product), they aren't going to change a thing. The cheaper the autographs they can put in, the more money the lower their costs end up being.

I'm not saying everyone agrees with me, but I will probably never buy a box of Topps Tribute. The value, on average, just seems to be crap. I don't like spending $200+ on a box, and coming home with $100 worth of cards ::facepalm:: And that is probably why I stick to buying singles on the bay :lol:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
It kind of goes to show how sheepish most collectors are. In my opinion, this product usually sucks(though this year it's better)-but, people still continue to buy it.

Until Topps actually pays for the crap they are producing(by people not buying the product), they aren't going to change a thing. The cheaper the autographs they can put in, the more money the lower their costs end up being.

I'm not saying everyone agrees with me, but I will probably never buy a box of Topps Tribute. The value, on average, just seems to be crap. I don't like spending $200+ on a box, and coming home with $100 worth of cards ::facepalm:: And that is probably why I stick to buying singles on the bay :lol:

Do collectors typically *bust* this product or is it only for gamblers/investors? I just assume 99.9% of this kind of product immediately ends up on ebay anyway.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hail2thevictors said:
sheetskout said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":4gptln31]
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

You better recognize!

You guys think these stars or their estates do this stuff for free? (Not pointed at you All_The_Hype)

I'm not saying everyone agrees with me, but I will probably never buy a box of Topps Tribute. The value, on average, just seems to be crap. I don't like spending $200+ on a box, and coming home with $100 worth of cards ::facepalm:: And that is probably why I stick to buying singles on the bay :lol:[/quote:4gptln31]
that would be a good return... :lol:

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
Can't believe the Cepeda's are so cheap in those completed listings. Saw one sell for $10.51 plus ship last night too. He dose't sign nearly as much as some others do and he in HOF, yet no respect.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
sheetskout said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":2r6o9c8y]
Pogu said:
chashawk said:

You better recognize!

You guys think these stars or their estates do this stuff for free? (Not pointed at you All_The_Hype)[/quote:2r6o9c8y]

Of course, we're just sharing opinions here.

I think hail2thevictors basically covered what I was trying to get at, which was that collectors are letting Topps get away with sticking them with such a low end card in a high end product by continuing to buy the product anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't touch tribute with a ten foot pole, even if it was something I collected. The design? Really? Let's make the most plain color-parallel design possible where every single card is a completely boring solid color with a tiny picture of the player and then charge $300+ per box. Triple Threads at least looks good.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
The cards are definately over priced at $300+ a box, but you can easily pick up great Auto/GU of star players or HOFers for the same price as many of their regular autos from other sets go for when you pick up singles on ebay. Like the Cepeda's $10 for auto/GU of a HOFer that dosen't sign like Doerr or some others is a nice addition to anyones collection.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Of course, we're just sharing opinions here.

I think hail2thevictors basically covered what I was trying to get at, which was that collectors are letting Topps get away with sticking them with such a low end card in a high end product by continuing to buy the product anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't touch tribute with a ten foot pole, even if it was something I collected. The design? Really? Let's make the most plain color-parallel design possible where every single card is a completely boring solid color with a tiny picture of the player and then charge $300+ per box. Triple Threads at least looks good.

Investors and gamblers, not collectors per se. Why shouldn't Topps or anyone else suck them in? They can be easy marks too.

Most collectors are probably getting what they want on the secondary market, and hopefully ignoring those ridiculous BINs.

Its always great to see different players in a high end product instead of the same-old same-olds...unless you're mostly worried about making your money back.

Members online

Latest posts