Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Quick Beginner's Guide to TTM. (rough draft)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
This is just a draft post. Every so often, we get someone who wants to learn TTM, and this doesn't have to be sticky-d or anything, but just a reference. I ask for any help in making this better, and I will revise this and make a new thread, and then this one can just die off, or be deleted.

TTM (or through the mail).

To do this, you will need these supplies:

-Item to send. You should keep it practical and cheap. Don't send a game used baseball or something important, because it can get lost in the mail.

-Envelopes. You need 2 envelopes. One will be the send out, and the other is the SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) so you can get your item back

-LOR (Letter of Request). No matter who you send too, it helps to send an LOR with your item. Be polite, and say what you like about the player. Many athletes have no time to read your mail, but it's a good idea.

-Stamps. Forever Stamps are what I would recommend, but make sure you use correct postage.

-Correct Address. Many places have free addresses you can use, but it always helps to research. Other places have you pay for the addresses and information. If you can find the correct site, this info is priceless.

Here are some other tips as too what you should know or do:

-Success Rate. You will NOT get back every item you send out. It ranges from many different reasons. Be happy with your success rate. If you are getting a low one, try tweaking your letters or your items.

-Player selection. You will NOT get Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter, or many big name stars. If you can settle for mid to low end guys, that is great, but do your research. Some grade A stars WILL sign!

-Find your groove. Every one TTM's different. They all have their ways. Find what works for you. Just remember to be polite and not send 10 items.

-Players aren't dumb. Don't send without a return address, or from a different one, they will still know it is you. Send one letter by itself.

-Turnaround time varies from player to player. They have busy lives, and TTM's can get put on the back burner. Many are consistent though.

-Share your successes. This isn't imperative by any means, but we all like to see what you get back. Feel free to show us in your own success thread, or the monthly one.

-Be careful when sharing an address. Rarely, a player or personality will ask you NOT to share the address you sent too. If they do that, follow their wishes.

Just remember to have fun, and pm me, or any other TTMer you see here if you have questions about something. We will be happy to answer your questions.

EDIT: I would like to say, please don't PM me for address's based off this thread. I will answer general questions, but won't give out player addresses.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Glossy Cards.

Be careful. Glossy cards need extra special care. Many players will sign in regular sharpie. Sharpie's are made for non-glossy surfaces and bubble up if they are used on a glossy surface. There is a way to avoid this.

Purchase baby powder. Make sure it is TALC based and NOT corn-starch based. Put a little on the front of the card and rub it around the entire card. I let it sit for a few minutes. The important part is to make sure the powder soaks into the card. It helps the auto stick.

BE SURE TO WIPE THE CARD CLEAN AFTERWORDS. Even though you can't see it, the powder DID soak into the card.

Jan 15, 2009
Care of SCF:
Here's a good way to write to your favorite star. This same principle applies to not only actors, but authors, athletes, etc...

Address your request to the attention of the actor, care of the studio that carries the show.
The key to writing an actor and getting a response is "convenience". Make it easy for them to respond to you and they will.
The second best tip is to write the actor when the show is new, and in its infancy. It's then that actors are more excited about their stardom, and more intrigued by their fans. For the first year, or so, the studio is usually paying for the actors black & white photos (for publicity), and you are more likely to get your autograph.
Since actors usually have help with their mail, the chances of your getting a quick response are greater if you just send an 8" x 10" SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) and request an autographed photo, instead of sending a precious photo, collectible or thingy. "Thingies" have to be forwarded on to the actor, or a meeting has to be scheduled for the signing of them. This takes time, if it ever happens, and results in delay, delay, more delay, and possibly a lost and irretrievable, thingy.
If you have submitted an index card, photograph, or "thingy" for the actor to autograph, it helps if you put your name and address on the back. If it is separated or falls out of the envelope, the actor can still get it back to you. If you have submitted a collector card, put the number of the collector card on the envelope with your return address.
Avoid commenting on the history or the drama of the show in your letter, and get straight to the point. Any actor who has been on a series already knows the history and the drama of their show, and while it may be very exciting to you, they have heard it all a thousand times by now. Besides, they only have time to skim through the letters, not to actually read each individual one.
Limit your letter to one page. State what you want in as few words as possible. If all you want is an autograph, then say so. A thesis is a bit much for someone who has little or no time to read it.
Print neatly or type. If the actor can't read your letter, then the post office probably can't read the return address on your SASE either. Before you blame the actor for not responding, you should check your handwriting.
It is considered acceptable if you briefly comment on yourself, your age, your interests, your career, your beliefs, the landscape of your country, OR whatever else makes you interesting to read about. Actors also like to hear educated, constructive critiques of the show or their performance.
Don't expect the actor to pay the return postage. ALWAYS enclose an SASE (Self- Addressed Stamped Envelope) along with your request for an autograph. Stamp it with more than proper postage. If you hear in the news that postage stamps are going to go up within 6-8 months, add more postage. Your mail may be returned to you after the increase in postage has taken place.
The U.S. Postal Service does not accept foreign postage.
Do not place Scotch tape over your postage. The U.S. Postal Service will not mail it that way.
Don't try tricks to get multiple autographs like, "I'll send it with no name on it." or "I'll use 2 different addresses." Most actors can see those coming a mile away.
Limit your requests for autographed items to one. If you submit multiple requests, you are being hopeful, but not being considerate of the actors time - or of others who are writing in for the same thing. Many actors will autograph one item, and send the rest back unsigned.
Don't send requests for other actor's autographs to one actor on a show. Send your requests individually, one to each of the actors you are interested in. If you expect an actor to get someone else's autograph for you, you'll be waiting for a very long time.
If you are sending International Postage Coupons from overseas, send enough to get your mail back. Better safe than sorry. Those coupons are worth about .80 cents in the U.S. It takes 2-3 coupons to get something to Canada and 3-4 coupons to get something to Europe. One coupon covers the mailing of a postcard, or small letter for both Canada and Europe. This is the one area that causes the most trouble, and takes the most time.
Make sure the International Postal Coupons have been stamped by your postal service. It is a circular stamp that has the DATE OF PURCHASE. Unstamped coupons are worthless here in the U.S., and for that reason, your mail will not be returned to you.
If you live overseas or in Canada, it is really best if you can get your hands on some U.S. postage through the assistance of a friend in the U.S., or a postal service. This saves the actor from standing in line to cash those International Postal Coupons in for stamps.
Stick your return postage stamps to the return envelope (SASE). Don't expect the actor to do it for you. Besides, postage stamps are small enough to get lost in the shuffle.
Insert a card to protect your photo from being bent both going and coming back to you. You can use everything from cut-up cereal boxes to file folders. Just about anything will work, but don't forget to add postage for the additional weight of the insert.
It's best not to use those large envelopes that have metal clasps on them. The photo rubs on it during mailing, and is damaged when it arrives. Self-adhesive envelopes are recommended.
Keep your autographed items down to a reasonable size. Huge framed items and bulky packages are very difficult to transport from studio to home, and from home to post office. Inevitably the actor will have to stand in line because it won't fit in a regular post office box. And, if it is sent to a P.O. Box, the actor will have to stand in line to pick it up since it will be too large to put in the P.O. Box. Inconvenience causes delay.
On that same note, don't send anything that is not important to the ACTOR by "registered mail" or "return receipt requested". If it's that important to you, don't mail it. Wait until that special day when you see them and have a chance for them to sign it.
Don't assume that the actor has gotten your mail, or your precious collectible, and didn't respond. Actors mail is often mixed up and delivered wrong. Some are even empty when received.
Don't enclose a bulky autograph pen that has to be twisted, shaken, and stirred - to be used for one second. Actors have autograph pens coming out of their nostrils.
If you don't get a response within 6 - 8 months of sending your request, try again. Something could have happened to your letter.
If you plan to move, don't send an autograph request until you are settled in. Your forwarding address may have expired by the time your autograph is returned to you. If you have moved, try again.
And, finally, double check your mail before sending it. Is it addressed to the right actor at the correct studio? Do you have a self-addressed stamped envelope enclosed with more than enough U.S. postage? Is the envelope addressed back to you? Is it stamped with the proper postage? The actor will not be checking these things for you.

Jan 15, 2009
From Rockiesfan33:

I've had over 70 baseballs signed TTM so far in 2008 and I get a lot of PMs about how to do it, so I thought I'd post what I do to send them.

I send all of my baseballs in bubble mailers, not boxes. My theory is to always make an autograph request as easy as possible for the person to whom you are sending your request. Sticking a ball in an envelope seems easier to me than having someone tape up a box for you.

I use 8x11 1/2 envelopes for the outgoing mail, and they're returned in 6x9 bubble envelopes. I stick the ball in the big envelope first because it seals better if the ball is at the bottom of the envelope. Fold the 6x9 envelope in half and slide it in next. It all fits nicely together.

Before this year's postage increase, I'm using 5 $0.44 stamps on the return envelope and 6 on the outgoing.

Always write your addresses in sharpie on the envelopes or cover your writing in clear tape to avoid it wiping off. This isn't as much of a problem with the brown bubble mailers, but the ink easily wipes off of the white bubble mailers made from the stronger material. Those envelopes are nice to use for your returns, but definitely use tape.

I don't send a pen with my requests and I may start doing it after my Fay Vincent return. Sharpie isn't desirable on a baseball. You want a nice Bic pen for the sig. You may need to weigh your envelope if you're adding a pen to see if changes postage. Don't expect to get your pen back.

The cons of using a bubble mailer:

Obviously, the package could rip, but I've never had that happen (to my knowledge).

The sig can rub on the inside of the envelope if it's not dry or signed with a good pen. Fay Vincent apparently used some purple glitter pen on my ball and it looks like garbage. Smeared slightly as well. If you were to receive baseballs back in a box, I'd imagine you would have less of a chance of the sig smearing.

I hope this helped answer some questions you might have about sending baseballs TTM. There's nothing more fun than opening your mailbox and seeing it jammed with those big fat envelopes. Having a wall covered in baseballs in cubes (sold separately unless you're buying ROMLBs) looks amazing. Remember that you're upping the ante with sending balls out. The same rule applies to baseballs as it does to anything else TTM: don't send anything that you're not prepared to not get back. I would only use quality baseballs for sigs that you pay for or really hope to have preserved 20 years from now. I made that mistake early on and now I'm about to redo a bunch on nicer balls.

Good luck!

Final note: If you see ROLB3 on a baseball, run away. Just run. ***This is still true!!!***

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
The deal with SCF though is they are really hardcore over there with TTM. I thought I would condense how I do it into small, easy to follow steps.

That and the fact that IDK Gilmore's stance on copying posts from other boards.

Members online

Latest posts