Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Close - 1988 Panini Stickers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
Last November I went to my mom's new lake house and she had 15 boxes of stuff I packed away in 1997 when I went off to college. I found a bunch of cool stuff like my old GI Joes, transformers and a huge pile of baseball "stuff". In the stuff I found my three Panini baseball sticker books from 1988 - 1989 -1990. It was clear that I lost interest as the years went on (from the age of 10 to 12) since the 1988 book was missing 34 stickers, 1989 was missing about half and 1990 had one or two stickers for each team.

I pulled it out when I made room for a library for my wife in the basement and started looking at it, I remember looking at it all the time. I ended up stapling the binding and taping it together after it fell apart and I have these notations on the ones I was missing (not sure what they mean) and then I have random writing on the back cover where I think I was adding up the book price of my cards ($213.20)

A week ago when I was looking at it I decided that I would see if there was a box of stickers on ebay and there was for $30, it was a little spendy but I really wanted to finish the 1988 book and I figured I could sell the extra Twins I got locally. I put so much time into trying to finish it (I should have just sent my doubles off to Panini for $1 where your could request up to 30 at a time) when I was a kid and I wanted to complete it for the little kid in my that just didn't have enough quarters to get enough packs or enough intelligence to beg my mom for a dollar to send in my doubles.

The box came today and I was able to find every one I needed except for two of the foil pennants in the back: #J (Yankees) and #Q (Reds) these are the ones with the pennent sticker and a round logo sticker on it (strangely the logo sticker didn't go anywhere in the book). If anyone has a stash of these I would love to work out something with you. Even if you have the 88 book and you didn't really have many stickers in it. If you don't really care about it I'd even take ones that are cut out of a book. I would love to finish this and keep it. This was the book where it had a lot of Twins stuff in it because they won the world series.

I won't be buying any stickers for 89 or 90 but if anyone has any I have a ton of doubles (close to a set) for the 1988 book, maybe we can work out a trade but I really would love to see if anyone has those two pennant stickers somewhere in their collection.

Edit: In the back cover of the book it has a spot to put your three favorite players and I put Reggie Jackson, Rickey Henderson and Wade Boggs - my 10 year old self had good taste.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've got tons of these. I'm on the road at the moment, but if you're not in a huge hurry, shoot me a PM and I'll drop them in the mail this coming weekend. A couple of years ago, someone was selling two boxes of 5000 stickers from 1988 & 1989 on eBay. I bought both of them for like $40 total (have long since made that back in singles sales on Sportlots and COMC), but since these were originally shipped loose in flat rate boxes, I've got tons that are too dinged up to sell, but perfect if you're just going to stick them in an album. I've been hoping some of my sticker books will surface eventually, so I can finish them off, too.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
That would be awesome, condition isn't important at all since I'm actually going to put them in the album. No hurry at all, I checked ebay and a couple other places to see if they were being listed but they're not players so they will be naturally harder to find. There are books being sold on ebay, but I can understand if you wouldn't want to go that way. I wouldn't want to do a new one, I like mine because it's so beat up.

DaClyde said:
I've got tons of these. I'm on the road at the moment, but if you're not in a huge hurry, shoot me a PM and I'll drop them in the mail this coming weekend. A couple of years ago, someone was selling two boxes of 5000 stickers from 1988 & 1989 on eBay. I bought both of them for like $40 total (have long since made that back in singles sales on Sportlots and COMC), but since these were originally shipped loose in flat rate boxes, I've got tons that are too dinged up to sell, but perfect if you're just going to stick them in an album. I've been hoping some of my sticker books will surface eventually, so I can finish them off, too.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Do you have extras of the rest of this?

88.jpg

These are numbers 451 and 452, so I guess I need 453 and 454. I have the Gaetti sticker already, so I'm good there (unless he's on another with someone else) but it would be nice to fill this one out.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Greg Cleveland said:

These are numbers 451 and 452, so I guess I need 453 and 454. I have the Gaetti sticker already, so I'm good there (unless he's on another with someone else) but it would be nice to fill this one out.

Plenty. I may just need to put out a blanket SASE offer for people looking to complete albums. It would help me resist the urge to stick these things on street signs around the town.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
the funny thing is I was looking at my leftovers wondering what I could stick them on considering I wasn't 11 years old. The older you get the less stuff you own that a random sticker can go on. Greg, I have the lower left corner of that for you.

DaClyde said:
Greg Cleveland said:

Plenty. I may just need to put out a blanket SASE offer for people looking to complete albums. It would help me resist the urge to stick these things on street signs around the town.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
If you're looking to buy, you can check out my Sportlots store (user daclyde1). I just added 2000 stickers from 1989 today. If you just want to fill a sticker book, let me know what you need and shoot me an SASE or two. I don't have any of the 1992 Canadian stickers. I've yet to find any kind of cheap resource for those.

Members online

No members online now.