Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: How's 2011 going for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
You don't just have to be a player collector to share your experience, I just couldn't fit in all of the different collectors in the title.

It took me long enough to get on board because 2011 is the first year I have actively tried to make sure I picked up new releases as they came out. When a product first comes out and is being busted a lot, there is a much better chance to find the cards. Yes, I know I should have been doing that all along, but I was constantly backbuilding instead of worrying about new releases. I'm very happy with how this year is going so far. How about you?

Here's my progress so far. Please feel free to share yours. I'm using thumbnails to try and save some space. Feel free to click on the image if you want to see the card.

2011 Topps Series 1
#271; Base, Sparkle, Platinum Diamond, Gold /2011, Black /60
th_2011Topps271A.jpgth_2011Topps271C.jpgth_2011Topps271E.jpgth_2011Topps271G.jpgth_2011Topps271I.jpg

Target Retro Logo, Wal-Mart Black Border, American League All-Stars #AL14, White Sox Team Set #CWS1
th_2011ToppsTarget271A.jpgth_2011ToppsWal-Mart271A.jpgth_2011AmericanLeagueAll-StarsTopps14A.jpgth_2011WhiteSoxTopps1A.jpg

#318; Base, Platinum Diamond, Gold /2011, Black /60
th_2011Topps318A.jpgth_2011Topps318C.jpgth_2011Topps318E.jpgth_2011Topps318G.jpg

Target Retro Logo, Wal-Mart Black Border
th_2011ToppsTarget318A.jpgth_2011ToppsWal-Mart318A.jpg

Topps 60, Topps 60 Jumbo Relic /20
th_2011Topps6032A.jpg

Topps Silks /50, Black Diamond Wrapper Redemption
th_2011ToppsSilkADA.jpgth_2011ToppsBlackDiamondWrapperRedemption13A.jpg

2011 Topps Opening Day
#125; Base, Blue Border /2011
th_2011ToppsOpeningDay125A.jpgth_2011ToppsOpeningDay125C.jpg

2011 Topps Heritage
th_2011ToppsHeritage54A.jpg

#175; Base, Red Tint
th_2011ToppsHeritage175A.jpgth_2011ToppsHeritage175G.jpg

Stamps
Adam Dunn/Adrian Beltre /62
th_2011ToppsHeritageStampsDBA.jpg

I've been able to get all of the 2011 Topps Series 1 and Opening Day cards minus the 1/1s. I just need the Blue Tint, Green Tint, and Colby Rasmus/Adam Dunn stamp to complete Heritage. Adam Dunn has several Gypsy Queen cards and I saw the first one listed today. I was hoping to finish Heritage before Gypsy Queen was released, but I didn't.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Very, very slow.

Rarely does anything of Richard Hidalgo pick up that I need and most of the stuff in BIN's is gloriously overpriced.

On the David Lee side, I have picked up a few things here and there, but nothing too crazy.

I've just really been down on the hobby. I have been thinking about collecting a young, active player, so I can get excited about every new release, which is tough to do, when the guy you collect isn't in any of them ;)

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
There is good and bad in Player Collecting Denard Span. Good: Not as many cards so it isn't as difficult to grab what I need. Bad: Not as many cards so there isn't as much of a chase. He wasn't in Series 1 Topps so I have to wait for Series 2 to grab all of those parallel's. Have already grabbed everything for him so far and I'm pretty sure all he has is a base in Gypsy Queen.

Base, Blank Back 1/1, Stamps w/Santana, Stamps w/Beltre
2011ToppsHeritage.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageBlankBackd1-1.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageStampsd54-62.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageStampsd32-62w-Beltre.jpg

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Missing scans of:

Blue Auto 9.5 -- Thanks again Gilmore
Blue Auto x2
Gold Auto x1
Base Auto x5
Refractor Auto x6

harveylot1-1.jpg

harveylot2-1.jpg

Here is my set almost complete (Still scanning, eventually - also these are not all from 2011 )
00-0.jpg
00-0001.jpg

00-0002.jpg
00-0003.jpg

00-0004.jpg
00-0005.jpg

00-0006.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Andruw's first card of 2011 just hit Ebay. It's nice to see he made at least one release, gypsy queen.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Mine is going very slow. Posada wasn't in series 1 so no parallel madness yet, though I did pick up the topps 60 GU. Picked up opening day base and blue and a base heritage. Only realistically missing the heritage GU and stamps, but I'm not a big fan of the 2011 stamp design so I'm not willing to spend more than $10 on them, and they seem to just go a little higher in auction. Missed out on a steal yesterday because I forgot to bid on it, which would have landed me one of the stamps. oh well... I've set limits to try and keep from overspending on the "junk." For example, I've quit buying single posada GU (unnumbered) for anything above $3.5 DLVD, and I have a certain price in mind for other items like the stamps so, while it is certainly possibly for me to have every 2011 card, I have not yet done so.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I am doing ok so far. I haven't really tried to hard to get all of the Morneau's. I have been focusing on my Puckett collection. I have completed the 2011 Topps Tribute Morneau rainbow though. I still need the plates for it but I have the red 1/1.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Uninspired by the 2011 issues from Topps for Eddie Murray. Will pick them up but at prices I'm super alright with.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
In terms of 2011 cards, Zambrano has not been in a lot of sets, and all of the cards he does have are boring, so I havn't picked up any. Topps is soooooo blahhh.

great work everyone. sadly i got no one playing in 2011... however thanks to muskiesfan (joe), tpeichel (tim), tonsofcommons (eddie) i have added a large amount of needed cards to my collections.

i appreciate the help you fellas have given me. also eddie i appreciate you taking my texts from a comic book store bathroom. ;) best of luck finishing out the year guys!

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
My player collection is pretty stagnant right now. I'd like to keep adding and on very rare occasions I do (usually from comc). I just can't afford to buy singles, paying more in shipping then each card is worth. Ideally I'd like to trade for additions, but again 1 for 1 low end deals aren't really worth shipping. I'd love to find someone ripping tons of cases of every new product and then somehow convince them to charge me reasonably for all the variations and inserts of Upton.

yankeesfan24

my PC's are doing ok, although they arent established stars and neither of them have got much of any PT up with the Yankees. they are still at prospect status (atleast Noesi any way, Nunez is up on the roster), so they dont have many cards, although i am excited for 2011 bowman, as Hector Noesi is in it, so i have somethings to chase, especially the superfractor, red ref, 1/1 plates, and the futures game relic! right now i only have 1 1/1 of each, but hey, ive only been collecting for a month of them, which sucks because i am sure i missed out on a few 1/1's. oh well, ill overpay for them when they get hot. but unlike most team collectors when a player gets traded, if these guys do, ill still collect them

here are my PCs right now

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... 0PC%20NFT/

at the moment, no Nunez's are incoming, but i do have 2 Noesi's, including the 2010 topps pro debut base card that i have neglected to to pick up for a few weeks, and finally felt like dropping the $1.25 on one (yes that was dlvd too, just thought i would be able to do it on COMC with some other cards, and when i went to do it, it was gone!)

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Tulowitzki: sold my 05 BC Super for $3,600 and still have a nice collection of a great player.
Anthony Ferrara: 1 good start, 1 bad start, 1 great start...if he moves up the Cardinals charts as a left handed starter, I get paid.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
As far as Perk, he has no 2011 stuff except for an auto in Topps. So I am missing that one, but I have knocked out a few 1/1s already for him.

Really got a good start on the Gopher collection 2.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
TGutta said:
There is good and bad in Player Collecting Denard Span. Good: Not as many cards so it isn't as difficult to grab what I need. Bad: Not as many cards so there isn't as much of a chase. He wasn't in Series 1 Topps so I have to wait for Series 2 to grab all of those parallel's. Have already grabbed everything for him so far and I'm pretty sure all he has is a base in Gypsy Queen.

Base, Blank Back 1/1, Stamps w/Santana, Stamps w/Beltre
2011ToppsHeritage.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageBlankBackd1-1.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageStampsd54-62.jpg
2011ToppsHeritageStampsd32-62w-Beltre.jpg

Pick up a team set at Target. There's a Span (and everybody else) in there.

Oh, and that Dunn collection is impressive!

My Bo Jackson PC is pretty stagnant. While I love seeing Bo in his Auburn uniform again, I just can't afford the Dual, Triple, Quad Autographed and/or GU Jersey cards that Upper Deck (Ultimate, SP, Exquisite, etc.) is coming out with. They are above my retiree budget. Maybe eventually I'll be able to get a few of them (wish E-Bay had lay-away), but for now, I'll just watch them come and go. Se La Vi. :mrgreen: