Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One of the coolest cards ever sold today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
In 2001, Topps Heritage had an insert set that recognized some of the MLB'ers who had served in the US military. The basic checklist from what I understand was just 4 cards, Mays, Williams, Newcombe and Ford, and each had a swatch from a military uniform from the war the player fought in (though not actually used by the player.)

These were not exceptionally difficult to find, but then they made a dual version of Mays and Williams, and it was /51. That card ended today. I wound up the second highest bidder, but thought it was a card that was worth noting:

$(KGrHqF,!g0E2ehyzNeHBNsPQj8TJ!~~0_3.jpg

A thank you to everyone who has served for our country.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
rehmus said:
that is really fantastic. im lazy, what did it go for?
Went for $227. No clue if that is fair or not. The seller did not mention the print run, but I am almost certain it is /51.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
Totally cool "nod" to the troops. What Williams coulda done if he didnt serve in the war. Amazing!!

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Wowee - i did not even see it listed. Should be /52 on the back. I would have paid a lot more than it sold for. I believe they have sold for over 500 in the past.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
And it was. Topps "Hertitage". Seller probably cost himself a couple hundred bucks, at least. I can see that card pushing 1000 if listed correctly.

mudflap02 said:
Wowee - i did not even see it listed. Should be /52 on the back. I would have paid a lot more than it sold for. I believe they have sold for over 500 in the past.

Just curious as to why you would spend more than $227 for this card?

The pieces of uniform on the card were never worn by either Mays or Williams

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
And it was. Topps "Hertitage". Seller probably cost himself a couple hundred bucks, at least. I can see that card pushing 1000 if listed correctly.

Wish I had known the market. I tried submitting a higher bid but time ran out.

Mahoody said:
mudflap02 said:

There's a ton to like about that those cards. Insanely tough pull from the first Heritage set, two of the best players ever and a tribute to their service for the country. While not worn by then, the uniforms are a really cool touch IMO.

hagausaf

Nov 23, 2008
Tampa, FL
still a sweet card even if the uniforms werent worn by them in combat. wonder how much my combat worn uniforms are worth to Topps lol?

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
A fantastic card but the shine is lost to a large degree once you learn the uniforms were not owned/worn by either individual pictured on the card.

It is like seeing a chick from behind with a smoking body and feeling your pants get tight...only to have her turn around to reveal a busted up face. :eek:

hagausaf

Nov 23, 2008
Tampa, FL
pretty sure of those uniforms were actually worn by the players then it'd be way more valuable than any game used card due to scarcity.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The Korean War doesn't have the cache or historical importance of WWII, so a WWII set would be far cooler.

Especially guys like Greenberg and Feller who spent so much time serving - more than most "stars." (Not to belittle others, just simply to highlight their service.)

An entire set dedicated to those who served in WWII would be a great concept, and as each days closes, we lose more and more WWII vets. It was a different era, a different world...and it would be tough to assume the same of our current MLB players and stars.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Mahoody said:
mudflap02 said:

I think it's all about the set and the set collectors. It's easy to get the first 4 cards, and everybody wants that last card, but there aren't enough copies to go around. Think of how guys will spend so much on a red refractor of a prospect to complete their rainbow. There is no piece of uniform from any game or any war, just a piece of cardboard. But people will spend more than $227 to complete their set/rainbow.

Money is common, and they're printing more of it all the time. There are only 52 of these in the world, and there won't ever be more. ;)

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Im sure they could cut more than 52 pieces from those 2 uni's they got for a few $$ at the surplus store. Im in the boat of why would anyone pay $227, unless maybe they were a military/baseball collector..... but then I would go back to whats the connection with those chopped generic uni's and the 2 vintage players pictured on this modern hype piece...

I guess they will make anything for a quick $$

My dad and uncle deserve to be on that "card" just as much as the Splinter or SayHey...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:
Im sure they could cut more than 52 pieces from those 2 uni's they got for a few $$ at the surplus store. Im in the boat of why would anyone pay $227, unless maybe they were a military/baseball collector..... but then I would go back to whats the connection with those chopped generic uni's and the 2 vintage players pictured on this modern hype piece...

I guess they will make anything for a quick $$

My dad and uncle deserve to be on that "card" just as much as the Splinter or SayHey...
Not sure why it makes more sense to pay hundreds for a card with nothing on it than this. Obviously to "game-worn" junkies it does not qualify, but as a cool piece of history, that captures a fascinating part of what went on in the Majors at that time, it scores huge. I'm not a military collector or a vintage collector, but I find the card has a better story than most I have ever seen.

fkw- They made single player cards as well with these players though honestly, given that the uniforms are not all that significant historically, I don't know that they worried too much about it.

rehmus- The back (of the single swatch cards anyways) do not say anything regarding the uniform, but I think it is accepted that they were not worn by the player.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Set builders.

2001 Topps heritage boxes go for $300 a pop

Love or hate "modern cards" don't keep your head in the sand too long, you'll suffocate